Item Posts    Sort Order

350 wont die when turn key off

lgquin72
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/25/13 02:47 PM

I just installed an accell point distributor converted to electronic in my 1972 chevelle 350.  runs very good but wont die when I turn the key off.  I have heard of MSD ignition users having to install a diode in the alternator circuit.  would this be a fix for my problem?  if so, where would I install the diode?  thanks very much for your help.  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 11/25/13 05:31 PM

yes that will work...

$(Kgrhqmokiee0kvurulbbn,Dnqrcq!~~ 35

WAI brand Part # W330 Anti-Feed Back Harness w/ diode for Delco 10si,12si, 15si, 17si, 27si series alternators.
Anti-feedback harness w/ diode For Delco 10si,12si, 15si, 17si, 27si Series Alternators

order thru your local alternator rebuilder or starter shop..

these were used on some AMC models back in the 70's as i recall  

wayne712222
Posted: 11/25/13 05:40 PM

there is another way to fix this...

it involves some detailed instructions...

but you need to find the wire that feeds the alternator light. on the ignition switch side of the alternator light. and clip that.. as its powered off the IGN 1 terminals of the ignition switch.. move it over to be powered by I3 part of the switch.. so it's on a different circuit and cannot feed back thru the switch..

please.. verify that the engine dies when you star the engine with the side wires into the alternator UNPLUGGED... this is the feed back voltage that is keeping you running..

if your engine still runs when the alternator is unplugged.. look down at the starter wiring..

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BOLTED ON Wire on the BACK side of the alternator.. you will burn the alternator out in under 2 seconds..

Ls309ignitionswitchpinout

you would need to find the PINK wire that feeds the cluster...

and reattach it to the feed out of the I3 terminal...

72 Chevelle Cluster Colorized

note that the BROWN wire comes from the alternator... to the light..

and the PINK comes from the IGN 1 circuit..  but also feeds a bunch of other devices..  this is not a big deal.. just some forward and really well planned wire moves under the dash..

IGN 3 usually runs the HVAC and the defroster blower motor..

i will have to check to see if there is  any way to perform this down by the fuse box...  

lgquin72
Posted: 11/25/13 05:52 PM

Hey, thanks.  I was just on the MSD website and found a schematic for this.  they say to wire the diode to terminal 4 on a GM voltage regulator.  This terminal goes to the charge light.  Think that will work OK?  sounds kinda easy, huh.  

wayne712222
Posted: 11/25/13 05:54 PM

do you have an external regulator or an internal voltage regulator???

firewall or core support mounted with a plug into the back face of the alternator.
Delcoexternalregulator Zps5debb905

or

do you have an internally regulated alternator with a pair of wires plugged into the side..

Header Bracket 030

the brown wire is PIN 4 on the external voltage regulators.

and its also pin 2  

lgquin72
Posted: 11/25/13 07:08 PM

external regulator on bulkhead.  thanks for your help.  this will work.  I really appreciate this.  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/26/13 10:39 AM

Good info Wayne. You are giving out info that is
hard to find elsewhere, good job.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

TO TOP