12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

what kind of car do you feel safer in?

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/28/13 09:08 AM

im curious what others feel safer in, in the event of an accident.  

are modern vehicles more safe with airbags and crumple zones?   or is the vehicle made out of plastic and soda cans?

do you think older cars with a solid frame are safer?

would you be safer with a rollcage and harness?

do you think your better off with a full size truck?

do loud pipes really save lives?  

you get the idea.  

68scott385
Posted: 05/28/13 12:11 PM

Uhm, in order:

no, yes

yes

cage = helmet

yes

YES

Grin  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

68scott385
Posted: 05/28/13 12:13 PM

Overall I feel safer in a car that has a driver whose first PRIORITY is driving and not texting/talking on the phone.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 05/28/13 01:57 PM

A GIANT gas guzzling anything made of steel!  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/28/13 02:43 PM

in the event of an accident.  

are modern vehicles more safe with airbags and crumple zones?   mostly...  depends on where they get hit at.. i don't think there is enough side impact protection for impacts with power poles when sliding sideways into them.  even in the carbon fiber enzo.. several have been ripped in half thru the passenger compartment .. just this morning.. 5 young men and women were killed when their car was ripped in half by a tree when they slid sideways into it.  i would really want to know one thing.. was that car rebuilt by having a front or rear clip welded on.. i have seen cars rebuilt using coat hanger as welding rod...

or is the vehicle made out of plastic and soda cans?    seems to be ...

do you think older cars with a solid frame are safer? in some instances...

would you be safer with a rollcage and harness?  yes... usually...

do you think your better off with a full size truck?   pound for pound..  usually

do loud pipes really save lives?   on motorcycles.. yes.   pipes that dump out under cars can cause carbon monoxide entry into the car.. via  rear fender wells with holes  holes in the trunk floor.. holes in the quarter panel and ends of the trunk floor.. improper fitting of the trunk against the trunk gasket..  even tail light lenses and tail light housings that don't have proper gaskets can leak exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment.

these are just my opinions...  

idrivejunk
Posted: 05/28/13 04:59 PM

Small cars are harder to hit than big ones. They change direction with less impact force. They dodge wrecks better. They crush more easily. They stop and go faster.

Each vehicle type has its own merits and demerits due to the basic design. Larger vehicles position the occupants farther away from harm. Of course a fat guy in an Acura is more vulnerable than a skinny guy in a Chevy truck!

Think ballistics. Wrap an egg in a big wad of crumpled paper and toss it against a wall. Thats a unibody. Tape an egg to a ladder and toss it, thats a full frame. The unibody absorbs a great deal more force, and as we all know, its not the hauling ass that kills you, its the stopping.

50s and many 60s cars have unsupported door skins, meaning somebody can drive right thru it into your lap. If your car has door intrusion beams, it is MUCH safer. Some reproduction doors have been redesigned to include this.

During the late 60s and early 70s, many changes were made including soft trim around windows, padded steering wheels and dashes, collapsible steering columns, headrests, three-point seat belts, not to mention safety glass, energy-absorbing bumpers and crumple zones.

For me, 1968-up please. For a weekender, that is. Thats about when side marker lights came out.

For daily battle, about a 1995-up has the brakes, mirrors, lights, and visibility to be much safer in heavy traffic. Not to mention replace-ability! But I think airbags are over-rated and that good seat belts offer just about all the protection a good driver needs, along with a well designed unibody.

Trucks? You gotta compare apples to apples, man. They tip over easier and don't crumple much. Some of the giant newer body designs are all fluff and no steel. You don't even have to tip a new four door fullsize truck over to destroy the cab. Just a little twist from smashed add-on step bars and none of the doors fit.

Its all a matter of what strategy you take. Its probably safest to send your family across town in a large SUV but that costs a lot extra if all you carry is people.  
idrivejunk

Dave632
Posted: 05/29/13 02:27 PM

Icon Quote68scott385:
Uhm, in order:

no, yes

yes

cage = helmet

yes

YES

Grin

+1 Smirk  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 05/29/13 07:34 PM

My armored Hummer in Iraq was pretty safe, got blown up twice and walked away. AND we had machine guns to scare away the bad drivers!  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 05/30/13 06:53 AM

all good stuff!     the armored hummer sounds the safest IMO. Smile      after seeing a bunch of accidents on the news lately, it seems like every crushed looking car, is a newer vehicle for some reason.      ive always felt safer in a full size truck.     i did have a friend that got rearended in a truck, and his head broke the back window from the impact.    
   thanx for your input guys.  

Dave632
Posted: 05/30/13 03:59 PM

Yes that armored Hummer with machine gun would sure stop some idiot from even thinking about cutting you off.  

68scott385
Posted: 05/30/13 09:41 PM

My truck AFTER being hit on the freeway, SPOT THE DAMAGE, I dare you. I almost felt sorry for the girl in the car.

Scan0002 2  

Dave632
Posted: 06/01/13 08:07 AM

Could not see the big truck eh. I guess the texting was more important.
I think that little scratch on the left rear bumper might be the damage to the truck.  

68scott385
Posted: 06/01/13 09:28 AM

That was in 2001, IDK if texting was available yet. The only damage to the truck was the bumper pad got nicked. IF you look hard you can see it dangleing on the left side of the license plate V. I did have to loosen the bumper bolts to even up the bumper to body gap.  

pepsi1
Posted: 06/01/13 07:31 PM

Hi Joe! You know me. Anyting for racing, a full funny car cage. See what Dave 632 thinks? Grin  Cool I think if I was going faster then 10:00 I would have a Hanhs.....Be safe not sorry... Grin  Cool  Cool

Bob  

Dave632
Posted: 06/02/13 01:42 AM

I felt pretty secure in the Beretta with all the safety equipment on. I did not have a hahns device but I did use the neck collar.
The funny car cage and all the other safety gear mandated by the racing organizations does a pretty good job of saving you in most cases. I saw some pretty bad wrecks where the driver walked away.  

12 Last
TO TOP