Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Pistons forged or hypereutectic

jmoose8612
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/12/13 10:15 AM

just a general question on pistons
I am planning on building a 383 or 396 SB stroker motor for 64 Nova with Heidts front and rear suspension with adjustable coil overs all around
but my general question is about pistons  I see that most of the crate motors from Chevy Performance and also the motors they are putting in the new cars all have hypereutectic pistons.  I remember when they first came out they were just a little better than cast.  Have they really gotten that good in the last few years to build a motor with instead of forged.  I am planning on running a set of aluminum heads with an Offenhouser 360 dual quad intake with Holley 550cmf, linked vacuum secondary's.  not planning on any power adders

Guess the question is build it with forged parts or buy crate short block or long block with the hypereutectic pistons  just looking for any information if anybody has had experience with one or the other
Thanks  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/12/13 10:41 AM

If you are planning to race the Nova by all means go with forged. If you are strictly street with maybe only an occasional race then the Hypereutectic are a good choice and they are a little stronger than cast. Forged are much stronger. The Hypereutectic do not expand as much and therefore can run tighter clearance for less blow by and less emissions which is all the factory seems to worry about now a days thanks to our idiots in govt. They in no way are as strong as Forged which require more clearance to allow for expansion.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 12/16/13 02:18 PM

I would want forged pistons, but its what you can afford. Both will work fine in a street/strip motor.  

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 12/16/13 02:18 PM

What is motor going to be used for.  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/16/13 03:48 PM

hyperutectic pistons fit in tighter bores and are longer lived in mild cylinder pressure street motors. not many oem factoy built hipo motors use forged pistons any more except the blown/turbo units. and i mean around the world oem builders!  

TO TOP