Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ignition module help

bschevyk10
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/12/13 05:46 PM

So I am replacing my ignition module inside my distributor as I think it went bad and the reason my truck wont stay running. I have identified that it has four prongs and lucky me I had two other distributors layin around that had same four prong modules. Now ive heard that you need to put die electric grease on the module before installing. Now where do I need to apply the grease at? When I took the old one off of another I seen the underside of it that set against a metal plate piece was a little greasy like from die electric grease. So do I grease that and is there anywhere else I need to? Thanks for the help.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 05/12/13 06:30 PM

Apply the grease to the bottom of the ignition module, it helps dissapate the heat from the module to the distributor.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/12/13 07:28 PM

this is about $3.50 in most stores and is enough for several applications..

there are also small single use packages available at the parts counter or cashier..

one thing...

if you have burned out your module... check the connector for the pick up coil for green grease.. that indicates the grease in there has become acid and is eating the fine wire..  the pickup coil will need to be changed soon...

to lift the module you have to remove a screw that holds the condenser down along with the harness that goes up to the cap.. that hold down screw is really important.. its the ground connection for the ignition coil in the cap... if left out.. things are going to burn out..

under the ignition coil in the cap.. if you have a coil in the CAP hei...  there is a folded metal ground strap that fits in the cap before the coil goes in..  it fits between the red and white or yellow wire in the cap to connect to the center wire of the 3 down to the module..
HEI Largecapgroundstrap

Heibigcap

failure of any of the ground connections will result in a popping noise from the engine compartment as the coil flashes over...

Burnt Coil  

bschevyk10
Posted: 05/13/13 04:23 PM

Now how much grease do i need to put on? A thin or thick layer?  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/13/13 08:06 PM

i usually like to use enough and right down the middle to avoid air pockets.. but not on the screw threads...

enough to push out around the edges when you tighten the screws down...

please DO NOT USE SILICONE dielectric grease on threaded devices..  it has dissolved sand in suspension... if it gets hot enough.. the sand will come out of suspension and become solid again.. and lock what ever you have tighter that you would ever believe...  

bschevyk10
Posted: 05/14/13 04:33 PM

Thank you for the help. You guys always have answers for me with whatever question I have.  

TO TOP