Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbocharging a high compression 350

broncosrock35
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/06/13 10:49 PM

My dad gave me hos 72 truck with a 350. It has vortec heads, flat top pistons, aluminum intake and I do believe amd rv cam. I am wondering is it possible to either supercharge or turbocharge it with that kind of compression or would I habe to lower it? Just lookin for some info thanks.  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 10/07/13 03:02 AM

if it feels like its running out of AIR and power.. swap out the RV cam..

in my personal opinion.. those were designed for the 55 MPH speed limit..

if you are just going slow.. they are great..

if you expect to keep up with traffic.. they just don't allow enough air thru to keep up with the engines needs at todays highway speeds...

i used to use an H230 grind in almost any street motor that was hotter than stock and my customers loved it..    one customer demanded an H131  bigger of the 2 RV cams..
i swapped out the freeze cracked heads for an identical pair.. and the cam.. went from 11 MPG to 17MPG..  and he could keep up with traffic without needing to keep the pedal to the metal..  78 351W E150 that got driven between 200 and 400 miles a day..

just a thought..

there is a chance you might get away with that kind of compression by using the turbo chargers that were designed for camaros and firebirds that were all the way back by the rearend..   the tubes that feed the intake are long enough that the heat is lost to the air flowing around the outside of the tubing so you don't need to run an intercooler..

one could stash the blow thru bonnet inside the chevy truck air cleaner housing and the pipe up the back side of the engine out of site.. so no body would ever know you have a turbo charged set up until you pull away from them at high speed...

again.. just a thought..

G TA4

DSC09931  

broncosrock35
Posted: 10/07/13 06:13 AM

Say I swap out the cam. Do you have an estimate how many horses id be runnin theough it? Also how many psi boost you think I would be able run till I would start to see metal heads and pistons comin through my hood? See I got a couple friends with mustangs. Ones got a corbra and the other a gt and I'd like to at least almost keep up with them amd possibly let em read my tailgate!  Haha  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/07/13 05:10 PM

I believe a truck from that year had pretty low compression, under 9-1 and as low as 8-1. It was when big brother and the environmental pin head agency started to step on us with all their regulations. Performance suffered big time.
I think with the cam that Wayne mentioned and some mild boost, say 6 lbs, you could easily get between 4-500hp. It would be wise to run an intercooler or do what Wayne suggested. Hopefully the motor and drivetrain are up to that much HP. You need to gain some knowledge before boosting a motor or you will be melting some pistons.
If you get it going right the little rice burner junk will run and hide. I loved racing against those little junks if one was brave enough to line up next to me. It very rarely happened.
Those are some interesting pictures Wayne. I have seen the one that went into the Camaro but the twin turbo setup looks like it is in a Vette. Very interesting. Wink  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

broncosrock35
Posted: 10/07/13 06:52 PM

Ye Im gonna ask my uncle about all the details. See its not the original motor. He built it about 4 years ago so im really not sure what is in there. The only original part it the carburetor which I'm fixing to swap with a holleybor edlebrock not sure yet. And well Ive redone the tranny 3 times as it is already so that's forst order of business anyway! Haha Smile id probably go with an intercooler and go twins on it. If ur gonna put turbo on it might as well go twins as far as looks would go under the hood!  

Dave632
Posted: 10/08/13 08:12 AM

Twin turbos do look good but a good setup is costly. A pair of twins can easily make 800-1000hp but you need a good foundation to run that much power. A stock trans and rear will soon be lunch with that kind of power. A stock block/ rotating assembly 350 will not be much good either.
Just to give you an idea of cost a full out race turbo setup according to a friend of mine who ran one cost around 16,000. in 2003 dollars. That's just for all the turbo equipment, stainless custom headers, huge ice intercooler which sat in the passenger seat, and injection, not the engine. A street setup will be much less but I would still figure to spend 5-6K for a decent setup.
It is OK to dream big just know what you are getting into.  

broncosrock35
Posted: 10/08/13 01:14 PM

5-6 would be manageable. Thanks for the info man! Right now all im lookin for is about 4-500 ponies. In the next couple years I wanna do a complete restoration one it.  

broncosrock35
Posted: 10/08/13 06:05 PM

Hey just one more question.  There are twin turbo kits on ebay for  900 to 1000. Would that be worth lookin into or would they not really worth it quality wise.  

Dave632
Posted: 10/09/13 06:06 AM

I have heard of those setups and the cost is very low. I do not know of anyone who has tried one but for that price the quality must be low. Since the price is so low I would give it a try.
When I was racing I had a 3 stage nitrous system on my Beretta. I was considering switching to a turbo setup but the high cost stopped me.  

skyeking
Posted: 10/09/13 11:40 PM

Hi there,
 Why not try a 224/230* cam on it's own and later you could
 still use it for the big project to get a suggested 480 BHP
 without it being a P.I.T.A.   Keeping thinking and good luck.  
skyeking

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/02/13 11:01 PM

before you go messing with the engine,perhaps you will consider your debacle. you have a heavy vehicle. you need gear multiplication to get it moving. you also need to keep the engine in its sweet spot! makers of 18 wheel trucks found the answer long ago,LOTS of gears!so i say to you sir,maybe you should consider a 6 speed auto trans from tci? it WILL help your truck accelerate much better,and become more fuel efficient,almost 3 to one first gear, 0.75 overdrive means a 4 to one ring and pinion acts like a 3 to one gear on the high way....good luck to you  

TO TOP