Item Posts    Sort Order

Door and Ignition lock cylinder replacement

JLane9992
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/02/13 06:38 PM

So i just recently lost the only set of keys i had to my 62 Bel Air, and i was wondering could anyone tell me how hard or how much it would cost me to replace them???  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/03/13 04:17 AM

I don't think you'll have a hundred in parts and the work is easy, but not without the keys. I restored a '64 Imp a couple years ago and the thing had sat so long that the keys were lost. We ended up cutting the ignition lock's retaining ring with a cutoff tool to get the lock out of the dash. Got the new retaining ring and lock from a resto parts supplier.  
idrivejunk

JLane9992
Posted: 09/03/13 02:28 PM

Thanks i got out today and checked around on prices, but i think i'm going to go with a lock smith and get a imprint from the cylinders for the doors, but i might replace the ignition switch.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 09/03/13 04:07 PM

at almost any parts store

Locksmart/Ignition Lock Cylinder
Part Number: LC14210
Alternate Part Number: 14210LW

Locksmart/Lock - Door (Cylinder & Keys)
Part Number: DL15800
Alternate Part Number: 15800LW

or

Locksmart/Lock - Door (Cylinder & Keys)
Part Number: DL15250
Alternate Part Number: 15250LW

the hardest thing is going to be to find the trunk lock cylinder...

and yes.. except for the ignition lock cylinder and even that one.. you can get from lock smiths UNCODED versions.. that come in pieces with out wafers.

there is a difference between the truck lock on the trunk.. and the trunk lock on the rear panel..   one can interchange them by bending the rod 90 degrees..  and the key will be sideways...

this might help

LockSmart - Trunk Lock
Trunk Lock Cylinder and Keys
Chrome Finish
Trunk Lid
Part # : TL15750   |  Line: LOC

Trunk Lock Cylinder and Keys
With Lock On Body
- Chrome
With Lock On Body
Part # : TL15760   |  Line: LOC

almost every locksmith can open these locks by removing the cover... prying out the spring cover.. and remove the tumblers to install new ones to match the key..

even these ignitions in the dash are easy to have the combonations changed...

the key in the column versions are crimped together and are not worth the time to be changed...

if you need more info... let me know.. i have sources on this type of stuff...  

JLane9992
Posted: 09/03/13 05:37 PM

My doors and trunk had the same key, but thanks i will look into that.  

TO TOP