Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

gen v bbc 454

rmascetti69
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/26/13 06:01 PM

I have a mercury marine gen v 454 . bare block. im looking to get about 550 -600 hp out of it. the guy I got it from said one cylinder needs sleeved. is it worth rebuilding this motor or getting something different. dont know much about gen v motors. any an all advice is welcome  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/26/13 08:03 PM

STOP.... before you do ANYTHING... MEASURE THE MAIN bores...

many marine 454 engines were built using OVERSIZED main bearing shells..

what.. yep... mains... +.010 and then what ever under size for the crank..

these oversized main bearings are almost impossible to find.. king bearing made them.. but there are NO more from them... will they make more???

anyplace that's likely to have them is the GM marine parts division..

please also before anything else..   have the block cleaned and magnafluxed..

you probably already know all this.. but i thought i would add this in..

well maybe they are not that hard to find..
http://titanengines.com/chevrolet-marine-454-7-4-ohv-v8-bearing-set-main-for-with-0-010-oversized-flange.html

but then i wonder.. is this a oversized bearing set with an extra thick thrust flange.. or oversized bearing shells for the marine engines that were line bored .010" oversize..

this might help.. seems there are blocks that are also bored +.020 oversize on the main bores...

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Chev-BB-Rod-Main-Bearing-Kits/products/1406/  

rmascetti69
Posted: 08/27/13 06:15 AM

yes def gonna.have block.cleaned n checked for cracks n stuff. but will measure the main boars. but say it is over sized is it worth building to get 600 hp out of it  

rmascetti69
Posted: 08/28/13 05:52 AM

thanks for the links helped out  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/28/13 07:00 AM

Why fool with a block that is questionable like that. I would not advise it and look for something that is in better condition.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

TO TOP