Item Posts    Sort Order

70 chevelle wont shut off when i turned off the key

350malibuvelle
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/02/13 12:21 PM

The car starts and runs good, but when i go to turn it off it keeps running. I have to unplug the relay from the distributor to get it to stop running. The relay seems to be working fine when i hit it with a test light turning the key on and off. When i unhook the pos from the battery it still runs. What could it he and how can i fix it? I can figure it out.  

350malibuvelle
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/02/13 12:23 PM

H.e.i system. No power to the relay and it keeps running.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/02/13 11:16 PM

the feedback from the alternator light is causing the RELAY that controls HEI power to stay on..

this is a normal issue when you have a relay running the HEI..

a few ways to fix it... depending on which alternator you have...

install a diode in the wiring between the alternator /regulator lamp circuit and the lamp.. so current does not flow the other way...

move the alternator lamp wire  positive supply to the i3 terminal on the ignition switch...

change out your ignition switch for a replacement..  they look identical.. but are slightly different inside.. original ignition switches have i1, that breaks the circuit when the key is turned to the cranking position..   replace that switch with the replacement and it will have i1 power in run and crank..    find a 10 gauge HEI wire from a different car.. from the bulk head connector to the HEI.. swap out the resistance wire and the wire up from the R terminal on the starter..

you may want to examine the ignition switch i1 wire to the bulk head connector.. as it might be a thin version..  so a thicker version might be needed..

i personally like the relay and there is a third option..  keep the R wiring from the starter solenoid.. but cut the wire at the bulk head connector and rewire it to the i3 pin on the ignition switch. this will drive the relay and keep the alternator lamp feedback from keeping the relay on..

which charging system does it have.???

the external voltage regulator system or does it have the internal voltage regulator???

you can with the external regulator.. disconnect the voltage regulator and start the engine and see if the engine can be shut off..  i don't think i would really want to try this with a internal voltage regulator alternator..  it might work.. it might blow the alternator up as the small wire goes to the lamp.. the big wire goes to the starter relay top post and is the sense wire.. unplugging this might cause the alternator to overcharge.. but i could be wrong

the plug in diode harness is available from several sources...

its a WAI Part # W330 Anti-Feed Back Harness w/ diode for Delco 10si,12si, 15si, 17si, 27si series alternators.   so local rebuilders can order it from Wai..  or several online sources have it..  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/02/13 11:35 PM

and this thread brought back memories..  many moons ago.. on a late saturday night at the corner of sepulveda and plumber in northridge ca.. there was a winchells donuts that everybody met at..

there was a bunch of people there already when a friend came up in his V8 vega.. 383 stroker.. fiberglass front end.. no hood.   he had just replaced his starter and the engine would not shut off.. i walked over and looked.. yep.. the R wire on the starter was pinched in the battery connections on the top post..  

while he and i discussed how to shut this loping beast down..  i was going to smother the carb with a shop rag.. he said no. that will foul the spark plugs..  i said.. but you have an MSD7A ignition system.. that will light anything..   before i could say anything else.. a third friend who was listening stepped forward and said.. i know.. i will pull the coil wire..   before we could stop him.. he reached over the fiberglass fender and grabbed the coil wire and gave it a yank..
this car had a mallory pro coil that the coil wire end was tightly attached .. so the wire came out of the cap end..  he looked like he was wearing michael jacksons glove.. he hand was covered in blue light up to his wrist where it was close to the accelerator cable..  he just stood there and shook while the stroker engine slowed down from its fast idle of about 1800 rpms..

we ask if he was ok.. he said he was.. but very few people saw him do this.. but as much prodding as we could try.. he would not perform this again for the about 200 people there that night..  

TO TOP