Item Posts    Sort Order

Flooding issue on 350 Chevy

66carson
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/19/13 05:29 PM

I have a mild 350, no emissions motor. I am having issues with fuel fouling my plugs and now my oil has a slight smell of gas in it. I have a 600 edelbrock on the motor, my fuel pressure is fine, boosters are not leaking. When I turn the air/fuel screws in, the motor wont bogg down like it should. Would that have something to do with it? My gaskets on the carb are good, no vaccuum leaks. I can't figure this out...  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/19/13 06:07 PM

66carson welcome to CHP.

First thing check your oil level. If its over
filled, the mechanical pump could have blown
apart and is leaking fuel into the crankcase.
I have not seen this for awhile. Bur if you are
using a mechanical fuel pump, they use to blow the
diaphragm out. I've heard war stories about the
oil pan actually blowing off the engine. Frown

1.How's the needle and seat. They do wear out.

2.Holley has a Viton .110 set for all fuels.
There could also be a small dirt particle between
the needle and seat. So it's letting fuel run out
when the engine is in a hot soak. (When you shut
the engine off after running it). The fuel will
perculate in the bowl. If this is whats happening
it will wash the the oil from the cylinder walls
and really not good for your engine bearings either.
Not good for anything actually....

3.Just recheck the float level.

Let us know what you find. Good Luck..

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 03/19/13 06:07 PM

66carson welcome to CHP.

First thing check your oil level. If it over
apart and is leaking fuel into the crank case.
I have not seen this for awhile.

perculate in the bowl. If there is dirt between the
needle and seat it lets the fuel run into the cylinders.

pepsi1
Posted: 03/19/13 06:18 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
66carson welcome to CHP.

First thing check your oil level. If it over
apart and is leaking fuel into the crank case.
I have not seen this for awhile.

perculate in the bowl. If there is dirt between the
needle and seat it lets the fuel run into the cylinders.

Tuff or Pontiacman. Could you get rid of the second post. It double posted. Thanks guys.  Grin  Cool

Bob  

68scott385
Posted: 03/19/13 10:08 PM

Edelbrock carbs are especially touchy to float level setting and fuel pressure.

To adjust the idle air bleeds and idle speed, first back out the idle speed screw until the throttle blades are completely closed. Then start with the idle mixture screws 2 full turns (complete revolutions) out from seated. Incrementally turn each idle screw in or out until you get the highest vacuum reading. Then set the idle speed screw to get the desired idle speed.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

pepsi1
Posted: 03/21/13 09:31 AM

66carson

1.If you do find the problem to be fine dirt particles. Install a fuel filter before the fuel pump. Then a fuel filter before the carb.

2.If it turns out to be water you can always install a water seperator as used a a boat fuel line system...(I know they are ugly)

I recall a problem I had many years ago. Gas Crisis days. Some of the gas stations were getting Boot-Leg gas. Even if they were a Sunoco, Exxon/Mobil, Gulf etc. I was driving all over the country, and I broke down many times because of the watered down gas, and crappy gas we were forced to purchase. I had a company car, and was driving 50K to 60K miles a year. Fixing medical/hospital equiptment. Guys from other parts of the country were having the same problem. It was just Boot-Leg gas.
  I installed a fuel filter and a water/seperator before the fuel pump and a fuel filter after the fuel pump. It took care of the problem. I had one of my cars towed to have the gas tank dropped. Believe this! Out of 18 gallons of gas it had 5 gallons of water in the tank. It was a fact of life then.
  There was one gas station in the small town I lived in New Jersey for $50.00 he would get you all the gas you needed. Yeah and the gas was $1.00 more a gallon too. Needless to say people from out of state complained he was closed to the public and was gauging people for gas. He spent along time in jail..

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 03/21/13 09:31 AM

66carson

1.If you do find the problem to be fine dirt particles. Install a fuel filter before the fuel pump. Then a fuel filter before the carb.

2.If it turns out to be water you can always install a water seperator as used a a boat fuel line system...(I know they are ugly)

I recall a problem I had many years ago. Gas Crisis days. Some of the gas stations were getting Boot-Leg gas. Even if they were a Sunoco, Exxon/Mobil, Gulf etc. I was driving all over the country, and I broke down many times because of the watered down gas, and crappy gas we were forced to purchase. I had a company car, and was driving 50K to 60K miles a year. Fixing medical/hospital equiptment. Guys from other parts of the country were having the same problem. It was just Boot-Leg gas.
  I installed a fuel filter and a water/seperator before the fuel pump and a fuel filter after the fuel pump. It took care of the problem. I had one of my cars towed to have the gas tank dropped. Believe this! Out of 18 gallons of gas it had 5 gallons of water in the tank. It was a fact of life then.
  There was one gas station in the small town I lived in New Jersey for $50.00 he would get you all the gas you needed. Yeah and the gas was $1.00 more a gallon too. Needless to say people from out of state complained he was closed to the public and was gauging people for gas. He spent along time in jail..

Bob  

Dave632
Posted: 03/21/13 04:12 PM

If you have a high performance cam installed you may have the same problem I ran into with Holley carbs MANY times. I imagine Edlebrock carbs would be subject to the same trouble.
The idle screw has to be opened up a lot to get the car to idle, this uncovers the idle transfer slots in the throats of the carb. This causes an over rich mixture at idle, fouled plugs and gas in the oil.
If you have a long duration cam and are fouling plugs this may be your trouble.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Dave632
Posted: 03/21/13 04:21 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
66carson

Bob

Bob I personally don't understand why he went to jail. Are prices fixed on gas?
I remember a case where there was no electricity in some state. There were some enterprising people who went to other states bought generators and sold them at a profit in the effected state. They too were charged. My question is why. There was a demand and they provided the product. What is wrong with that? This is supposed to be a free enterprise system.
This once again sounds like poltical idiots screwing up the system. Mad  If they did not go to other states to get the generators there would have been none. I am sure the politicians who have never had to work for a living can not understand the system we live in that at least used to work. Mad  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 03/23/13 07:59 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
66carson

Bob

Icon QuoteDave632:
Bob I personally don't understand why he went to jail. Are prices fixed on gas?
I remember a case where there was no electricity in some state. There were some enterprising people who went to other states bought generators and sold them at a profit in the effected state. They too were charged. My question is why. There was a demand and they provided the product. What is wrong with that? This is supposed to be a free enterprise system.
This once again sounds like poltical idiots screwing up the system. Mad  If they did not go to other states to get the generators there would have been none. I am sure the politicians who have never had to work for a living can not understand the system we live in that at least used to work. Mad

The prices were fixed yeah...lol... If you went by the rules. My buddy who still has his repair shop, and no gas. Recalls what the greedy guy did. "He gouged people from out of state for their gas". They bought Boot-Legged gas. They paid more for it, so they charged more for it. He then charged people for this club. For $50.00 you could join his club and he assured gas. (I was a Fireman). One morning we had a call @ 3AM. Thats when the greedy guy was getting his gas, in the middle of the night. He had (2) islands for gas. One for the club or Boot-Legged gas, and the other for the ODD/EVEN normal days. I hope this makes sense. Think about average of 15 cents a gallon. If you pumped 6,000 gallons a week.
  Back then when the fuel crunch was on, he was allowed to pump so much gas on each ODD/EVEN day. So he didn't run out of gas. I must add we were 40 miles from the George Washington Bridge. A lot of people commuted to Manhattan each day. Grin  Cool  

TO TOP