Item Posts    Sort Order

Restoration Shop Paint

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/03/13 05:36 PM

Is this paint line decent, I need a good paint line. Seems they carry a metallic rally green color and I cant find it in PPG or House of Kolor, or elsewhere. Maybe I can have some made locally but that could be dangerous also  Stan  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/03/13 09:57 PM

I have never used that brand and don't know who actually makes it. The number #2610 might cross into other brands from the same parent company, but it looks like thats a "custom" color. Not one that came on a car just a color for their own chart. Thats kind of a cheapo industrial kinda thing, where you sell paint but don't match anything but your own chip. Looks like they sell that color in five different qualities of paint. If you find out who the parent company is, you may be able to use a higher-priced clear over that base. Pick the brand and quality you want to use or can get good counter help on, then see if that brand don't have something the same or better.

Click this link- is that the right color? Pick your poison.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rsp2610.aspx  
idrivejunk

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/04/13 08:18 AM

That's the Baby Junk, 2610 TCPGLOBAL color chart ITs the Metalic Rally Green from a company called Restoration shop. Everyone says start and finish with one companys products. PPG seems to get a good response, the higher end Shopline paint also but theyre color chart isn't matching what I need. House of Kolor has a candy green  that's close but it isn't a 2 stage. Could I PPG Epoxy Prime and seal, PPG primer builder, Use the base from the other company, and then go with a super high end clear, Probably not hah, Just looking for the color I want. I have a local PPG and Shopline supplier, if I brought them a picture of the paint I speak of, do you think they could make it with just the info it is the RESTORATION SHOP #2610 Paint Code?  Stan  

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/04/13 08:37 AM

That's the Baby Junk, How do I get it in a paintline that's respectable, Thanks for helping me with this one, i'm kinda lost here. They go on to say you should use the Kustom Shop Primers. Ever hear of them, if so, are they a respectable brand? Stan  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/04/13 12:14 PM

The Kustom Shop primers are also from TCP Global. No conflict there but I haven't used them. Your regional PPG rep can answer whats safe to use over the other. I concur with the others as far as staying within one system but I'll give you a little tip ...

Any time the tech sheet for a product lists "existing finishes" under the list of suitable substrates, theres your clue. We can take that to mean that if you have a dried and properly prepared existing finish (why not a primer of a different brand), that the product is OK to use over that. You catch what I'm sayin? I like to do the bulk of my work in polyester primer with 180 then use only a couple coats of urethane primer surfacer to seal that off and give a nice surface to final sand. From there up, stick to one system.

Using one brand's clear over another's color is different entirely. Theres no drying and sanding in between so the products have to be compatible. I bet theres a higher quality clear that works over that basecoat but I don't know which. Call the PPG rep. If you prepare, apply, and polish just about any paint with care it looks nice. So if that formula is not available for the desired paint line, just use the high end products from that resto shop system but do it with care.  
idrivejunk

TO TOP