Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transmission still leaking

bschevyk10
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/18/13 05:19 PM

So my transmission pan was leaking so I took off the old gasket and replaced it. But I used permatex ultra copper high temp silicone gasket maker instead of a paper gasket  cuz it sounded like it would work way better and ive used the blue gasket maker before and it worked well so I figured this would too, but I put the stuff on let it dry for 24 hrs then put the tranny fluid in. it didnt leak for cpl weeks until I started it for a lil bit then cpl day later noticed a puddle under my truck. So I looked and its leaking between the pan and gasket. So I need to replace again I suppose but am wondering if there is a better way then I did. And what is a good chemical to clean the gasket area on the pan and transmission. Maybe I just didnt get all the oily trans fluid off befofe applying silicone who knows. Thanks for any input everyone  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 06/18/13 06:05 PM

Been there, done that. Sometimes using the proper gasket works better than anything. Silicone is good for some things but if you don't get proper coverage or over tighten the bolts you can get gaps and leaks. Try using a good quality gasket made for your trans and you will probably be happier.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/18/13 09:18 PM

i have had terrible luck lately with transmission pan gaskets leaking...

especially on 700R4 and 200 4r models...

if you have a transmission parts supplier around...  i have a great trick... chrysler torque flight transmissions and a few others use sealing washers on the front pump bolts... these are perfect for transmission pan bolts...

they seal the flange of the bolt to the pan rail..

you can install these without dropping the pan.. but i hate silicone holding the pans in place..

please invest if you go to the transmission parts supplier in one of the flat NON FOLDED pan gaskets they supply...  usually 3 or 4 bucks...

also... once you scrape all the silicone off.. and out of the bottoms of the bolt holes in the case... it will prevent the transmission bolts from fully tightening..  

carefully inspect the mounting flange of the pan...  i usually find where the bolts holes are.. that they are raised slightly..

so instead of the pan being totally flat..____________________________________________  so its an even sealing surface for the gasket...

where the bolt holes are is like this.. ____--______--_____--_____--____--_____--_____

this  is going to leak like crazy..

and i always install these transmission pan gaskets totally dry..

the folded rubber versions and folded paper ones from the parts store filter kits.. for some reason leak a lot

a socket extension clamped in a vice. or standing on the ground with a socket on the end to back up the small hammer will allow you to flatten the flange without overworking it...  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/20/13 07:53 AM

in my experience, tranny fluid will always find a way to leak past permatex eventually.          get a good gasket and make sure your pan is straight, as suggested above.  

68scott385
Posted: 06/20/13 11:45 AM

I like to use the thick rubber gaskets with a thin layer of permatex on both sides. It helps if you can let the permatex setup an hour or two before filling the trans with fluid.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

68scott385
Posted: 06/20/13 11:46 AM

(*&^%*&^$%*^ no post message/double post problem  

skyeking
Posted: 06/20/13 05:26 PM

Hi Agent 68,
Are you losing a few marbles??.  
skyeking

68scott385
Posted: 06/20/13 08:07 PM

Icon Quoteskyeking:
Hi Agent 68,
Are you losing a few marbles??.

Maybe?

Too young to be in this condition, makes one act oddly on occasion.  Frown  Tongue

You hangin' in there alright?  

TO TOP