Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 Camaro PS upgrade

theiglurides
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/02/13 12:16 PM

Bought an AGR quick ratio steering box to upgrade my 67 manual steering to power steering. Installed the box (basically a Saginaw 800)with new steering coupler and find that the steering box/coupler is 1/4 inch longer than stock which doesn't match up to the steering shaft. I loosened the steering column hoping to have some wiggle room but it still seems too tight. Anyone run into this? Confused
I've looked at other couplers to see if there is a narrower version but no luck to date. I'm hoping someone has run into this.

67 SS tribute.
Gary  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/02/13 01:27 PM

can you pull the column and install the box and coupling.. then slip the column back into place..

pulling a camaro column usually takes about 10 or 15 minutes minutes on a 67..

edit... have you loosened the clamp around the base of the column where the column passes thru the flange that bolts to the floor.. that controls the height of the column also.. and might be able to give you that 1/4" you need..  pulling the column is still easier..

have you had the subframe off.. or changed the subframe bushings..

there are usually alignment holes in the subframe that match with alignment holes in the floor pan that have to be aligned to have a proper length camaro.

you can see the alignment holes in the forward body mount brackets... just outside of the body mount bushing holes..

67 69Fbodysubframedimentions  

theiglurides
Posted: 06/06/13 02:41 AM

Just got back from a trip. Thanks for the reply. I have loosened the steering column and I opened up the notch on the bracket that holds the column with the sliding spacers but still not enough. I never thought about the body/frame spacing. This cars had the floors repaired etc so that's a possibility.. Thanks so much for the info. You gave me some new items to check!! I also have the factory assembly manual and lower column brackets etc still don't have enough wiggle room to make up the difference.  

theiglurides
Posted: 06/06/13 02:44 AM

To answer your other question, I did pull the column in order to mount the steering box and then I attached the column and couldn't get the three-hole column bracket under the dash to line up with the mounting holes.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/06/13 05:06 AM

well..  time to check the body / subframe alignment..  that is probably where the issue is..

have you talked to the supplier of the steering box  or AGR about the difference..

the shop i worked at got an incorrect box one time..   turn the steering wheel right.. the vans wheels moved left..  incorrect components were installed in the reman steering gear box..

the parts store owner thought we were crazy.. or stupid..   i had to show one of his drivers that it was wrong..  

theiglurides
Posted: 06/08/13 04:33 AM

As I reviewed the factory assembly manual, they show the front locator/alignment pins used to set the body on to the frame using .610 pins. So that will be the first place to look. The dimensions on the steering box are ok as I compared them to the original manual box I removed. This car had a frame connector/stiffener added at some point so another item that may have offset the mounting alignment.  

theiglurides
Posted: 06/09/13 03:10 PM

The alignment holes are definitely off so now to loosen the mounts, radiator support, bumper brackets etc and figure out a way to move the subframe forward.  

TO TOP