Item Posts    Sort Order

August 2013 EFI article

Haastile
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/05/13 04:26 PM

So I receive my August '13 issue in the mail and see on the front cover that it proclaims "Do-it-yourself EFI: modern day fuel injection for any budget". I thought, " Cool. I've been wanting to do that but can pony up the cash."  I figured there would be options to the overpriced EFI systems that have been recently released.  I figured some of the DIY stuff that's available would be covered.  Much to my surprise "any budget" was between $2,200 and $2,500 and only included the big name manufacturer's kits.   Come on, CHP.  You can do better than this.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 06/06/13 02:33 PM

I just recently installed the MSD Atomic EFI and am glad I saved up the money and did it that way. (See my thread on here from a month or two ago) It was so much easier than haunting the wrecking yards and fiddling around with getting a CPU reprogrammed. Everything I needed was in the kit including the fuel system, didn't need to run to the parts store a hundred times. The price tag scared me off for a couple of years and I did lots of research. I'm convinced this is the only way to go, especially with limited computer knowlege.  

zman123
Posted: 06/06/13 02:36 PM

Oh yeah, it will handle up to 500HP(1000CFM throttle body) and is self tuning so will handle upgrades and different cams etc.  

70KENMARO
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/03/13 10:58 AM

Ok guys I hear how good this EFI is but what I don't hear is the difference is going from a fine tuned Carb. I have a Stroked SBC 40 over to a 385 and dyno tuned to 500HP. I want to change it over to EFI because I'm tired of nasty exhaust gasses. what would the horse power be like? Carb vs. EFI  

zman123
Posted: 09/04/13 07:22 AM

It will be close to the same. The difference between EFI and a well tuned carb is negligible BUT, a carb is only tuned on the day you tune it. The EFI changes with the temp, humidity, time of day etc. to keep it at the most efficent or to the perameters you set. It took me a while to decide to go that way too.  

TO TOP