i was selling them cheap enough as it was, i took some pics of the
heads but i do not know how to attach the pics with my post, could
someone tell me how to attach these pics so that i can show the damage
and i can get a honest opinion from someone with experience on this
matter, thanks  Wayne  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/15/13 07:48 AM

read down about half way of this thread on page 1, theres a post with directions.

http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com/70/9355631/general-chevy-technical-discussion/chevy-383-troubles-in-need-of-more-experience-help/  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/15/13 09:14 AM

Heres what I do:

Upload the pics/vids to a free hosting site (I use photobucket.com) them cut n paste the IMG code here. Doesn't work in the quick reply box, so use "Post Reply" or "Reply to thread".

Heres a cut-n-paste on the subject:

"How To Post A Picture".

mpayne
Administrator

Here are easy and clear instructions on how to post a picture on this forum.

1. Since we don't support direct image uploads to our forums, you must upload your images somewhere else and link them to our forums. Don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds. I recommend using Photobucket as your image upload host.

2. Once you have created an account with a picture uploading website, it is time to upload your pictures and then copy each images IMG code and paste it into the thread where you want the image to show. I suggest you use reply and not quick reply, to post pics.

3. All that is left to do is preview your code, to make sure your image works and you're done. Just hit "post" and it will show up instantly.

One thing I forgot to mention, is if you create a readers ride account and upload your pictures there you can also link pictures. It's done a little differently. Right click and view the image. Once you have done so copy the url bar text and click on the . Paste your url text and your done.

Recommend Width is 640 pixels

Hope this makes it a bit easier for readers to post pics

thanks mpayne

Read more: http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/8751837/the-general-discussion/how-do-i-post-pictures-and-video-in-the-threads/#ixzz2Kz75P4Qc

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/13 11:59 AM

with Chipped head bolt holes...

there are several remedies..   depending on how deep the chips are...  and how big around they are..

there are slightly different length headbolts from sources like ARP that come with hardened washers to fit under the headbolts and spread the load..

there are also kinda a reverse flanged washer designed to install 351W heads on a 302 block as 351W use a 1/2" head bolt but 302s use a 7/16 head bolt..  so these hardened washers could be installed by counter boring and spot facing the head bolt holes on a mill..  not by hand..  as long as the installed height is within reason of the other head bolts so torque applied to the threads in the block is not tremendously varied..   we are not talking a LOT of material removal here.  just enough to give the head bolt a nice even surface to clamp the head down with..

this works better on the longer bolt holes..  but it can be done on the short..  but short bolts are usually better off with the special head bolts with hardened washers right over the small cracks depending on how much material is missing..

in the motor these were removed from... please fish a magnet tool down each head bolt hole before running a tap in.. then run the tap.. one must find these broken pieces if they still exist..  

WScott
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/16/13 06:34 AM

these are the pics of the cyl heads with the
chipped bolt holes, some of the chips are as deep as
an eigth of an inch

ttp://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u605/WScott67post/Picture003_zpsd7d55573.jpg[/IMG]Picture002 Zpsf583d8faPicture001 Zps9daa5fcf
these are the pics of the  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/16/13 07:15 AM

From here It looks as if the Flats are in Usable Cond and as Wayne Said Get yourself some Hardened Washers and a magnet. there are no threads in the Head where the Bolts pass through so as long as you have plenty of Grip length to hold the Bolts in the block you should be OK. Turn the Head over and look closly(Magnefying glass)at the holes from the Bottom to be sure No cracks radiate from the Holes, Clean them up and GO.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/16/13 07:26 AM

what kind of head bolts/studs were you using?   looks like theyre consistently damaged at the same spots.    

i would make your friend aware of the chips and let him make the call.  might be in "his" best interest to have them checked out if he decides to buy them?  

68scott385
Posted: 02/16/13 08:26 AM

Icon Quoteredneckjoe69:
what kind of head bolts/studs were you using?   looks like theyre consistently damaged at the same spots.    

i would make your friend aware of the chips and let him make the call.  might be in "his" best interest to have them checked out if he decides to buy them?

Like they were angle milled and the bolt holes were redrilled accordingly.?  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

WScott
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/16/13 12:04 PM

i used factory bolts when i assembled the engine in 1999, i
can not remember if the heads were chipped, they  must of been
and i did not pay proper attention to the condition of the heads
when i aasembled the engine, i can't see that damage happening while
the heads were on the engine, or maybe i did not torque them right, etc.
i will let my friend decide if he still wants to use them, thanks
Also what is angle milling and how can i tell if this has been done
to these heads,  thanks again  Wayne  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/16/13 12:46 PM

late 70 or early 71 186 heads.. cool... off an LT1 motor..  somebody has a set of them for 600 bucks on fleebay..  with a 69 julian date..

299114D1307060751 Arp Head Stud Washer Top Bottom Img 20110602 170749 Medium  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/24/13 07:19 AM

looks like this guy had similar issues?
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/3518941078.html  

TO TOP