Item Posts    Sort Order

This Could have been so much worse.

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/05/13 05:44 PM

pay attention here guys...

fuel safety...  DO NOT USE GASOLINE in this fashion.. inside your garage...  or in your parents garage.. or in your friends garage..

tighten battery cables and all connections.. notice the sparks...

have an extinguisher ready.. or TWO of them... one nearby .. one near the garage door where its easily grabbed as you run past on the way out..  extinguishers are a LOT cheeper than a replacement house.. garage... car.. wiring harness.. carb... embarassment.

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/stunts/The_Worst_Mechanic_Ever

and by the way.. chevy motors can be started on the engine stand out in the middle of the driveway... away from structures..

i started up my bosses stroker small block on the stand with the shorty headers aiming into the shop right at the open car door of the car he was asleep in..   he thought the world was coming to an end... arms and legs going all different directions until he was out of the car..  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/05/13 05:48 PM

why not to use gasoline inside the garage... look over at the forced air furnace... look over at the water heater.  look over at the clothes dryer..    any of them could have exposed flame... and gasoline vapors build up about 18 inches deep usually..

hah.. thats the reason that the government officials make you move them up on 18 to 24" tall boxes... slows down the possibility of a gasoline leak fire from a car or spilled can...  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/05/13 08:50 PM

WOW

There are SO many things that can be said about that video.

blow HARDER, sigh...Crazy  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Dave632
Posted: 05/06/13 02:02 PM

Why did he keep trying to start it when the fire had already started??
Did he think he was Superman and able to blow the fire out?
A good friend of mine from Fla. who certainly should have known better once set his garage on fire, big garage too 80x30', and completely destroyed it.
He was working on the fuel system in one of his cars and had an incandescent light bulb underneath where he was working. The fuel was gravity fed when he pulled the fuel line off, some dripped on the hot light and it caught fire. He was  holding the fuel line and trying to stop it by holding his finger over it but the fire was hot enough to make him let go and the fuel fed the fire. Disaster, garage ruined and several of his cars and many parts ruined.
He was one of the friends I had who ran Pro Mods. I bought the Beretta off of him. He always used Florescent bulbs after that and advised me to do the same, and I listened.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 05/07/13 02:41 PM

I was helping this Jack-Ass out. True story. He had a S-10 that would only start when cold. Well he was pouring gas into it. The gas was in a glass jar. The engine "backfired a few times". I told him Ray use carb clean. Well as I was saying that the engine backfired again set the jar of gas on fire, and as he was throwing it away he set himeself on fire. I ran for the extinguisher.
  He had shorts on. He got second and third degree burns on his hands and exposed legs. If I wasn't there he would have burned to death and the gas station along with him. You know what the SOB said to me when the smoke settled? Why did I use the fire extinguisher. I'll have to replace it now. When the Fire Marshall came to investigate. His report said the person that used the fire extinguisher saved him and the building....He was made to install 4 more.
  I was a Fireman in New Jersey for 12 years, and saw stupid chit people do with gas. A guy set the front of his house on fire to get his BBQ going.
  A friend lost his 1966 Chevelle when the engine caught fire in his garage and burned the garage and car.
  IF I CAN MAKE A SUGGESTION TO ANY OF YOU GUYS.
IF YOU EVER HAVE A CAR FIRE AND THE CAR IS IN YOUR GARAGE, TELL THE PERSON YOU TALK TO BEIT THE FIRE DEPT. POLICE ECT. YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE. Don't tell them your car is on fire. When they hear house fire it gets more people coming. I'm talking from as a retired Volenteer Firemen.

Bob  

Dave632
Posted: 05/08/13 05:44 PM

What an idiot, I guess he would rather burn up than replace a fire extinguisher!
I had a needle and seat stick open and fuel came out the top of the carb while the electric pump was running. It started a fire on top of the hot manifold. I shut the kill switch off quickly but the fire kept going. Fortunately I had a bucket of water nearby and I drowned it with that.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

jcp0231
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/12/13 10:46 AM

Wow, very interesting.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 05/12/13 07:50 PM

He was in line for a Darwin award.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 05/13/13 05:13 AM

years ago i was working in a shop and a fire started.   the boss ran over and grabbed a fire extinguisher.   he went to use it and nothing.   i guess they go bad after so long of not being used?   luckily we had a few of them, and another worked.

that same boss used to stress to us that he wanted every extension cord unplugged  before we left the shop.   i kinda thought he was being silly because i had never seen an extension cord start a fire.  guess what?  one day while we were at lunch, somebody left one plugged in and it caught fire!   melted/burnt the whole cord.  luckily it was laying on the concrete floor and didnt do any damage.   this was in a brand new building with a pretty new cord.   after seeing that, i unplug cords all time when not in use.  

a few weeks ago my daughters place caught on fire!   it was caused by a faulty outlet in the wall.   nothing was even plugged into it.   luckily, they had a working smoke alarm and nobody was hurt.   but the damage was unbelievable.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/13/13 09:58 AM

that same boss used to stress to us that he wanted every extension cord unplugged  before we left the shop.   i kinda thought he was being silly because i had never seen an extension cord start a fire.  guess what?  one day while we were at lunch, somebody left one plugged in and it caught fire!   melted/burnt the whole cord.  luckily it was laying on the concrete floor and didnt do any damage.   this was in a brand new building with a pretty new cord.   after seeing that, i unplug cords all time when not in use.  

coiled and plugged in.. they make a winding that creates a magnetic field.. causing heat like an inductive heating ring. and you have FIRE... which is also the reason to not use power cords that are not fully unwound..  it can also make the power meter spin fast .. causing the money in ones wallet to catch fire also..  even if the power cord does not ignite..

a few weeks ago my daughters place caught on fire!   it was caused by a faulty outlet in the wall.   nothing was even plugged into it.   luckily, they had a working smoke alarm and nobody was hurt.   but the damage was unbelievable.  

now.. we have to wonder.. hmm.. how did that happen... loose wires into the back of the socket.. pushed in, instead of screwed down...  shorts in the wire where insulation was cut when it was pulled???  moisture in the walls causing a short..   rodents chewing on the insulation if its exposed like romex wiring..    pets backing up and marking that outlet..

there have been instances of power strips that are plugged in.. just melting and becoming flaming devices..

i would really want to carefully inspect the circuit breakers and where every wire was attached.. did a small 15 amp branch circuit get moved to the 50 amp dryer circuit..  or if its a really old house.. did somebody put a 30 amp edison fuse to prevent blowing them all the time...  or was something DOWN CIRCUIT of that outlet plugged in... this is the most likely failure ... as most electrical circuits have several outlets on them..

circuit breaker.============= outlet 1===========outlet 2==========outlet 3===========outlet 4

if something is plugged into outlet 3 or 4.. and the connections are bad at outlets 1, 2 or 3... walla... fire at an outllet thats not connected to anything..

note... the left image would be the end of the chain of outlets.. the right would be 1, 2 or 3... follow the black wire.. goes into one screw and out the other screw..  putting this socket in series... so any current down stream has to go thru these screws. and the bridge between them...

2012 02 01 USB Wall Outlet 03

i know this is off thread.. but its really really really important do discuss..

don't pay attention to the words in the image..  white goes to sliver screws.. black goes to gold screws.. green to ground.. this image has usb outlets also... to charge things... a neat idea..

and on a different but similar track.. at a house east of los angeles..  the owner found that a compass would spin in one bedroom..      turned out the electrical outlet wiring was connected in a circle all the way around the room..  making the room like standing inside an electric motor field winding..  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 05/13/13 01:32 PM

i wondered about the breaker tripping too, but the firemen had turned them all off before i got there.     she has no pets.     this was in a mobile home, and im sure we all know they can burn up very quickly.     the landlord had replaced all the panelling with drywall, so its my opinion that he probably messed with the outlet at one point.   the fire marshal did 2 different studies and determined it was caused by the outlet or wiring at the outlet.   the drywall actually slowed the fire down alot.   when the fire marshall removed the drywall, you could see where the outlet caught fire against the stud.    unfortunatly  she had a dresser full of kids clothes in front of the outlet, and thats how it spread.

thanx for the info about cords being wound up Wayne.   never really thought about it before.   makes alot of sense.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/13/13 03:13 PM

To ask or not to ask. Was the outlet at the end of the circuit or not  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 05/14/13 04:18 AM

Icon Quotewaynep712222:
To ask or not to ask. Was the outlet at the end of the circuit or not

im not sure.  

TO TOP