Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

jason Lambert Build

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/11/13 07:40 AM

http://www.jwrahttp://www.jwracing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349cing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/11/13 08:24 AM

Icon Quote76Skylark:
http://www.jwrahttp://www.jwracing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349cing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349

http://www.jwracing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349cing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

76Skylark
Posted: 02/11/13 09:33 AM

Thank you Scott for squaring that away,  it appears to me the 8.5 class is now running 5.0h's and that falls in the NHRA 25.5/25.3 build  for cages built for cars around 3200#  and running 8.50 qtr-750 qtr.   but I think 7.49 down is where it is going. so I want to be safe and legal and have read the SFI rules that are online and on the bullet and it's not that it's confusing but what can be done Class rules wise and Tech rules wise,  I believe the cars are faster than expected.  any way the build of J Lambert's car is along the lines I want to follow you guys take a look and tell me what you think. is this overkill or not for 8.5 class,  but that is what the T/A body I have looks like but I also am picking up an earlier 96 that is a hardtop To do the build with as the 99 is hit in the rear and the 96 is in front and most of that is removed during the build-up  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/11/13 10:21 AM

its probably gonna be cheaper to buy a rolling chassis already set-up to race, then pay somebody for all that fabrication?    unless of course you plan to do it all yourself?    

the adjustable rear control arm mount is different.    i did wonder about it moving though?     all in all, a nice build!  

76Skylark
Posted: 02/11/13 01:35 PM

Joe If you were to go to that Sticky thread and read from the Start it is about adjusting the torque arm /control arm Mounting positions to change the Instant center. or if you remember I am a big Fan of Billy Shopes "just suspensions" he was a Chrysler Engineer and wrote the book on set-ups IMHO Google his name and get out the Calculator.can't do all the work but can do lots of it. may not be as nice as spending a fortune but that is my trade off.  

billsstroker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/11/13 02:06 PM

Regardless quality is what everyone should stand for. Pound for pound it looks like every dollar was spent well. Do it right the first time.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/11/13 03:41 PM

i thought the torque arm is for pinion angle?    but yea, the adjustable lowers are for instant center.    ive got a set of adjustable lowers on my terd, lol.   i do like the fabrication work on that 4th gen alot.    they did some awesome work!

heres a link to an adjustable torque arm.   ive been tossing the idea around for awhile.   alot of guys on thirdgen.org seem to like them alot.  
http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40097/10002/-1  

Dave632
Posted: 02/11/13 06:39 PM

I agree with that 100%.
The Beretta I purchased cost me about 18,000 after I installed the new body.
That car when it was new, 1990, was 60,000. At the time I purchased the roller, 2002, that price had gone up to 85,000.
You just cannot build a car for what you can buy a good ready built chassis for.
You have to know what you are looking for and what to watch out for when you do that however.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

76Skylark
Posted: 02/12/13 08:39 AM

Joe I looked a the arm in Jegs catalog Man that one is Short.Hard to tell from a picture but I dosn't look any longer than a traction bar/ladder bar, so you read about Placement of the front mounting point? I suppose a Varity of length's would benifit a chassis tuner.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/12/13 12:46 PM

yea, i read where it mounts,...up in the trans tunnel.   when you hit the gas, the front of the torque arm is gonna want to raise up & pull back.   the jegs mount looks like it would stop the backward movement & torque arm flex.   the factory arm is like 6 feet long and just stamped steel.  i can imagine it flexing, causing wheel hop.   i thought about boxing-in my torque arm, but ill probably go with the jegster arm someday.
   jegs also makes some decent subframe connecters.   might be a good idea to put some in first, then attach your rollcage to the connecters?  
   some parts interchange between 3rd and 4th gens.   4th gen rears are a few inches wider then 3rds.   but your probably going with a ford 9 inch?   i might be able to dig up some pics of how they mounted the torque arm for the 9" if needed?      some 4th gens have aluminum driveshafts.
   if you stay with the factory type rear suspension set-up, they sell off-set control arms to get a wider tire under there.  

have you started working on your project yet?   if i was closer id give you a hand.   are you trying to get this done by a certain date?  

76Skylark
Posted: 02/12/13 05:34 PM

When I said Length of arm I was talking about the Dynamics of WHERE it pushed UP against the weight of the car,If you think about it the rear end is trying to Push Forward not pull back( No upper arms) the first few Pics in the J Lambert build are of a sub frame and the Cage welds to that. the rules do not say how wide a wheel to use but I would use a 10" to start but LOTS of pics I see are using a 12" with an 8.5 Slick, Bead lock will be required.heck Outlaw 10.5 cars are using a 16x16. No date of completion but soon It will Be BTTW I want to see them in action at SGMP in two weeks, and the rules say Factory like, Not Factory. Joe you are a welder, so after seeing a picture, why do you want to give them your Money? a simple Ladder arm bracket will attach it to the rear end housing. NHRA/SFI rules are  specific about QTR.mile Times/weight and these cars are Faster than 8.50 rules so really we are looking at 25.3 I think, but that is one thing I have to clear up before starting.by the end of the year they will be Going faster than 4.99 in the 1/8,Not me but someone.I think a twin turbo Small Block is going to make more power than a single on a Big block,but that is what I have been Gathering parts for Unless a little M block appears on my Doorstep  

Serpico
Posted: 02/13/13 01:18 AM

I can't even post in with you guys  

Serpico
Posted: 02/13/13 01:23 AM

I can't post anymore then that. What the?????
Bob  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/13/13 07:05 AM

your right Lark.   for some reason i was thinking of the torque arm moving back like an upper link.   i did read a good article by Billy Shopes yesterday about torque arm suspensions.   it was interesting.  
  you have a point about making my own torque arm.   if i had the jegster arm in front of me, id copy it.   just kinda afraid id build it wrong, put the suspension in a bind, and destroy something, lol.   i did fab a crossmember mount for the front of the arm when i switched to a th350.  it also ties into the trans tunnel.
   ive mostly been doing bodywork lately.   id like to go to the track a few times just to see what it will do, but its not gonna keep up with the type of car your building.  
   i look forward to seeing the progress you make throughout your build. Cool

howdy Bob!  

76Skylark
Posted: 02/13/13 11:15 AM

Joe Mine won't be on the street EVER so a purpose built car can be just that, and this one will go Straight ahead not round and round so I have a huge amount of info to digest.and when I do get it in motion (the build) I want everyone to chime in. Bob, wut the wut..... WHAT is it doing ?  not letting you  post But a few words, go to the Library or a friend's and determine if it is the Site or the Computer, I think I have gotten some bugs lately so I rebooted mine,helped some but It still takes 15 seconds to put up the Screen after clicking on the Forum. joe Look at the Sphon, check spelling,site or JP in PA. or burkhart/midwest/UMI or TRZ(in Fla.) they All make stuff for the 3&4 gens,and Fox body Cars,cough cough Pics are worth a 1000 words. you can Make these Parts,never met a welder that can't Fabricate  

12 Last
TO TOP