Item Posts    Sort Order

GM Marine Intake installing with Epoxy???

Dustin3x
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/27/13 04:27 PM

I just bought a race car, with a small block 421. It has a Aluminum High rise intake, but we have to run a Cast Iron intake. So we got a GM Marine Intake. When I took it to my motor man to have the intake cut, he said I would have to install it with a special Epoxy, where it is too thin for the heads. Only problem is, is he didnt tell me what kind of epoxy, or where to put the epoxy. Hopefully someone can help me out on this one. Because I have looked all over the internet, and all i can find out about putting epoxy on a intake is if you have a crack!
Thank you!  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/27/13 07:53 PM

i have a few questions...    i am taking that you have the intake off the engine...

have you compared the port shape? and size??

milling the intake to match some heads is not easy..

can you post the cylinder head brand and casting number or series??

post the intake brand and number that was on it...

and if you have to run a cast iron intake...  probably a 2 barrel... does the racing class actually allow a 421 CID engine??

with that much motor and the need for a 2 barrel... there used to be holley 650 2 barrels.. #6425.. they had no booster venturis at all.. just holes around the edge of the venturi..  they are not legal in most classes.. but perhaps people have forgotten them..  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/27/13 08:02 PM

you might want to find a machine shop that has one of these...

http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/products/cylinderhdtooling/iag.php

IAG 1%209 21 01%202%20(Custom)

IAG 1%20On%20Manifold%20(Custom)

Part Nos:
IAG-1, 80 degree included angle for Std. S. B. Chevrolet 23 degree heads & B. B. Mopar
IAG-2, 85 degree included angle for S. B. Chevrolet using 18 degree heads
IAG-3, All applications with 90 degree included angle between deck surface & intake runner
IAG-4, 87 degree included angle for 48 degree S.B. Mopar
IAG-SET, Set of 4 Intake Angle Gauges

Incorrectly machined cylinder heads, blocks and intake manifolds or any combination thereof can cause intake leaks. Discover these potential problems before you machine or assemble with the Intake Angle Gauge.

These precision-machined gauges are made for checking the block and heads assembled together as well as the bottom side of the intake manifold for incorrect included angles. Simply set the gauge onto the intake runners of the heads installed on the block or against the intake runners on the bottom side of the intake manifold and check for an air-gap either visually or with a feeler gauge.  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/28/13 09:12 AM

I had a set of heads that had came off a pro stock motor. These were big Chief high dollar heads. They had been extensively ported. They had gone as far as moving the intake port to make a straighter shot into the intake valve and they used epoxy inside the runners in places to change the shape of the intake and exhaust runners. The epoxy never gave any trouble and as far as I know it was just ordinary epoxy.
I would look for the strongest and most heat resistant epoxy I could find.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Dustin3x
Posted: 04/28/13 10:58 AM

Yeah, It's a unlimited *** class. just all steel engine. It's a GM 4bbl Marine intake. I'll have to get back to you with the casting number. I know they are mounting up to a set of cast iron RHS heads.  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/28/13 01:06 PM

i used to do work for a guy who built nhra pro stock motorcycle engines.   he would port so far through the ports that he created holes sometimes.  i would fill what i could with tig weld, and he would smooth out the welds.    what we couldnt get with the welder, he would use some kind of epoxy.    sorry, i dont remember the brand, but it must be a common practice on race engines?  

Dustin3x
Posted: 04/28/13 06:34 PM

I figured it out. What you gotta do is put the Epoxy on kinda building a bridge from the intake to the head. Like the intake wont match up to the gasket. Like where the Gasket is kinda too big for the intake, but it's the correct one. Just the marine intake is a bastard to the Heads. So you gotta fill it all up Top, and bottom of the intake with the epoxy. Yay me, can't wait to get started on it tomorrow!! Haha.  

Dustin3x
Posted: 04/28/13 06:35 PM

I figured it out. What you gotta do is put the Epoxy on kinda building a bridge from the intake to the head. Like the intake wont match up to the gasket. Like where the Gasket is kinda too big for the intake, but it's the correct one. Just the marine intake is a bastard to the Heads. So you gotta fill it all up Top, and bottom of the intake with the epoxy. Yay me, can't wait to get started on it tomorrow!! Haha.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/30/13 05:41 PM

At that point i might look in felpro or other gasket catalog for blank intake gasket materal and use hole punches to create  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/30/13 05:46 PM

A friend used foundation bolt setting epoxy it worked great on hid radiator cooling fins where fan carved them  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/30/13 05:46 PM

A friend used foundation bolt setting epoxy it worked great on hid radiator cooling fins where fan carved them  

TO TOP