12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy 350 need advice

Musyu
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/18/13 08:13 AM

Hi, my name is Winandy and i m from Indonesia.

Currently I plan to build a American-Australian Muscle Car....... Chevy 350 engine with Holden Kingswood body

This is what I have bought for the last 2 year.

1. Chevy 350 gen 1 engine block
2. Probe 408 stroker kit "pro street" (800hp)
3. AFR 227 heads
4. Lunati solid roller cams
5. Jessel shaft rockers
6. Lunati vertical  bar lifter
7. Edelbrock Pro Flo intake injection
8. Haltec P2000 engine management
9. MSD 6BTM ignition box
10. MSD direct coil for LS1
11. Garret GTX45
12. Nitrous Express  kit for LS1
13. Power glide custom transmission up to 1500hp
14. Ford 9" rear end custom

But there is one problem.... my mechanic never have any experienced build a V8 engine  Grin

Therefore we really need your expert guidence and sugestion.

Need advice

Thx
Winandy  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/18/13 09:25 AM

sounds like a serious build, stroker, nitrous and turbo.  Cool

what kinda help do you need exactly?     theres some guys on here that can really help you out.   theyll be along.  

p2-72chevelle383
Posted: 04/18/13 11:37 AM

What is the bore and stroke on that 408 kit. I don't think you can get that out of a stock block  
p2-72chevelle383

68scott385
Posted: 04/18/13 04:03 PM

IF you can stuff a 4" stroke in a .030 over 350 it can, that does not mean I would try it.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Dave632
Posted: 04/18/13 04:27 PM

Need more information on what he does not know.

What specifically does he need info on?
Running a Garret turbo charger AND nitrous??
You had better have one good chassis my friend and some serious
traction.
If you or your mechanic have no experience setting up such a
wild combo you had better back off or get some one who is into such
a high HP combo. If all goes right you could hit 1500hp but it will not live long if you have no knowledge of what you are doing.
A stock block will not live long with both nitrous and a turbo charger.
You will need an aftermarket block such as a little M or a GM DRCE block.
What are your plans for such a monster? If you are just street driving this
it is a waste of time to put that much into it. Even on the drag strip you will not be able to take advantage of that much power without the proper chassis and running gear. I see you are going with a glide that is rated at 1500. I sure hope it has a full JW case of something similar or you are going to kill it quickly.
I had engines that could make way over 1000 hp with a full professionally built moly chassis and I could not put all the power I could make to the track even with that and 17" wide slicks.
If you are street driving this car forget the turbo and nitrous and just build a normally aspirated SB.
If you have never driven a serious race car forget driving something like this.
You will kill yourself. I have seen many a driver, even at the track, get in way over their head and bounce off the walls.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Musyu
Posted: 04/19/13 07:44 AM

Thanx for the advice....

No, its not gonna be a strip nor drag car, its more likely a hobby car.. but i want to build it with current advance tech with injection, turbo, and nos...and my aim to get 1000hp

This is some early question tht i need input before i start to put all thing together.
1. Currently i use a stock chevy 350 block, is it 100% will damage my block?
2. My 408 combo is 4.00 bore with reverse dome piston rate at 800hp, should i better to change my stroker combo to higher rate 1000++ or i still can use this one ?
3. I still use stock holden kingswood 1974 chassis for this build, is it going to break the chassis or else?
4. Is there any modification on the stock block when install the stroker crankshaft?
5. AFR 227 non ported heads, is it better to leave it non ported or can i do some ported on the head, and how far can i ported?

Appreciate your advice and comment.

Thx
Winandy  

68scott385
Posted: 04/19/13 08:23 AM

It'll take an experienced machinist/engine builder to get the stroke required for 408 from 350, in that block. Before you or your mechanic going whittling away at the block or heads, you'd better know what you're doing. IIRC, stock blocks are good to about 700hp depending on what other modifications are made.

If you successfully get the motor built and running, the chassis will need some strength modifications to handle that power.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Dave632
Posted: 04/19/13 05:55 PM

If you are not going to race it there is little sense in trying to get that much HP out of it.
The stock block will not take that kind of power. As I previously mentioned you need an aftermarket block to reach those levels. The stock block does not lend itself to stroke modifications well, once again the aftermarket block has more meat in the areas that need to be ground to allow a bigger stroke.
I would NOT touch those heads with a grinder if you have no idea what you are doing. Porting heads is an art and it takes learning and experience to do it.
Here is my suggestion. If you have the cash go to one of the engine builders that have done this kind of stuff and purchase a complete engine.
Here is one from Banks, http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/267/85, that is complete with twin turbos, injection and 1100hp. The price range for an engine like this is in the 20K+ range. It will probably be a bargain to you since you will not have all the trouble with an inexperienced builder putting something like that together and having it come apart quickly.
This will however be a complete waste in a street car as you will only end up spinning the tires endlessly, twisting the chassis into a pretzel or worse yet getting hurt in such a fast ride that you have no experience with.  

ram689
Posted: 04/19/13 08:05 PM

Hey man sounds like youve got all the good stuff but ive had advice that the gen 1 350 cylinder bores are to thin at 100 thousands of an inch thick and 4 inch diameter,if you bore them out/stroke to 030" over they are to thin and with the extra power you will split the the bores. better to get a 400 4 bolt block or something like a dart block.Also i built a HQ 74 prem wagon 308 years ago and put new pedders nolothane bushes throughout heavy duty sway bars, new balljoints and lowered pedders red suspension and 275 x 15 x 50 tyres / wheels on back 225 on front and it handled very well no power steering needed!Hope this helps, good luck dude see ya ram689  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/20/13 06:06 AM

For How to Books:

www.cartechbooks.com

Bob  

Musyu
Posted: 04/20/13 07:53 PM

Thanx again for the input.....

Is there any suggestion which aftermarket block that should i buy?

Buy a complete turnkey engine is not my option, i would bought it in firts place if i want to do that.

Actually my mechanic had a lot of experience build a  japanese engine B16, B20, 3SGTE, 4AG , 4G63T full modified but never had an experience build V8 engine.

I already order centerline rims for his project F 4" -15 , and R 12" - 15  again i need sugestion for the tire.

Appreciate your input.

Thx
Winandy  

skyeking
Posted: 04/21/13 01:24 AM

Hi there,
Using a stock 350 block to get 408" means weakening the base of the block.
 to ask for 800hp you want want to bight the bullet and get a GM afterM/T
 block so you can get stronger walls with larger bore and stick with 3.75
  stroke..What you have described is a formula for hell on earth.
   Frustrations/break downs and rebuilds galore..The 4" stroke is the Death
 knock. Do it properly in the 1st instance and SAVE time money and Despair.
  The best you can hope for is a Phyrric Victory and and not worth the effort.
  Very short term results at best.
     Seen It all before...Good luck...Skyeking in Australia  
skyeking

p2-72chevelle383
Posted: 04/21/13 01:17 PM

Well said skye  
p2-72chevelle383

skyeking
Posted: 04/21/13 05:32 PM

Hi there P2-72 and all the gang,
 Back to basics...
 GMPP states that the basic iron block is best only for 500 HP>
  If you must spend money then do it wisely.
 If you must waste money then go to Los Vegas and really Gamble.
   All the best to All the People.  
skyeking

Dave632
Posted: 04/21/13 06:28 PM

The Dart little M can handle a lot more than a stock 350 block. The GM DRCE is comparable to that. Both cost around 2000.
This block can be delivered with the bore you want right from Dart, your machinist just has to do a final hone or small bore job. The bigger stroke is much easier to clearance for too.  

12 Last
TO TOP