Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Sealing An Intake Gasket SBC

1965tripleblack
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/11/13 06:36 AM

327 Chevy with aluminum heads and aluminum intake.

First: What should I torque the intake bolts to?

Second, what kind of sealant(s) should I use, if any?

The gasket is a Fel Pro 1205S-3, steel laminate with Printoseal.  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/11/13 09:44 AM

What does the heads' owners manual say about intake bolt torque? Does the owners manual for the intake say anything about bolt torque values?

IIRC my Eddy's say 30ft/lbs but I don't recall if that came from the heads paperwork or the intakes.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

pepsi1
Posted: 04/11/13 03:48 PM

1965tripleblack

With the intake gasket your using I would test fit it. You want to make sure the gasket isn't losing any sealing in the corners,or around the intake ports. The intake Bolt torque is 30ft.lbs.

Install the intake gaskets as you would normally. You can use a dab of RTV just to hold the gasket in place. Now Remove the carburetor, using a small flexable  light, (ie pen light) put the light into the carb intake, and look to see if there is any light coming from between the intake gasket, and the head. If there is a small amount  you can use RTV sealer around the intake ports. If its substantial use a thinner gasket. With that being said and done.

There are (2) sealers you can use. The first sealer. Jeg's has a Grey RTV silicone P/N 555-28036  for the intake.
  The other sealer for the intake bolts ARP P/N 100-9904. I like this sealer because it hardens and it can withstand high temps.

After you have test fit and it's okay. Jeg's #555-28036
1.I use the Grey RTV silicone around the water jackets.  You don't need to use much, just enough on both sides of the gaskets.

2.Then on the ends use approx 1/8" of RTV to seal the ends, and go up the head a little. Because if oil will leak it will leak there.

1.Now the intake bolts. Use a flat washer under the bolt head if you can, and  use
atleast a grade #8 bolt. Using the ARP 100-9904. I like to use the sealer on one side of the bolt, you want enough, but not too much.

2.Now torque the bolts in (3) equal increments. 10ft.lbs, 20ft.lbs, and 30ft.lbs. The Final intake bolt torque is 30Ft.Lbs.

3. I like to do one last torque after the engine is at operating temperature.

4.I know it seems like a lot, but you want the gasket, and the bolts to seal the first time.
  Just one last thing. Before you install the distributor, make sure there isn't any RTV hanging over inside the hole. It can break off, and get into the oil pan.... Grin  Cool

Bob  

skyeking
Posted: 04/11/13 05:49 PM

Hi Bob and the Gang!!  
skyeking

pepsi1
Posted: 04/12/13 03:11 AM

Hi Noel:
How are you doing Partner.
Hope your health is on the