Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

pro system carb

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 01/28/13 06:50 AM

getting a new carb, talked to pro systems. he said he wanted to build me a 840 series carb for 720.00, i have a mild 383 with solid lifters and world heads, curret carb is 750 holley with proform main body with 76 primary and 82 secondarry jets. Just didnt ever think my motor would need 840, what about aed.. Only drag race no street time with car.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/28/13 07:06 AM

I would probably stick with what you have ,But if you want a larger carb. look into the Holley HP carbs.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/28/13 08:02 AM

thats a tough call.   they do seem to have a good reputation.
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/index1.html

i was just on theyre site not too long ago, looking at theyre air pans.  
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/catalog/item/5164392/5233103.htm  

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 01/28/13 08:04 AM

oh i am happy with what i have, the issue is that the main body float bowl holes keep pulling the threads. on my primary  side i have had to drill and tap 3 of them then drill metering plate and bolw to inlarg them, it is a pro form main body on my holley they must be junk or somthing. it will be good the ll of a sudden a bolw will start leaking then take it off and hole pulled threads, i have so may issues last yr tht\at i am trying to fix anything im not sure of this yr before i start.  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/14/13 02:02 PM

Did you ever get a new Main Body? and did you look at Holleys Recond. carbs site ?they really are inexpensive that way  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/15/13 06:50 AM

Seen ya on the Bullet looks like your working Hard!!  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/15/13 01:55 PM

Jpatt87

I'll tell you, what I think and this is my opinion only. Basicly Holley carbs are a very good carb out of the box.

I would determine approx how big a carb you need. We can set you up with those facts. Then get yourself a good self-help book or (2). Then experiment with making adjustments. (Heck you don't need a big carb or even a big engine to do this). Its really a time to learn what does what. (I ran a 750CFM Holley on my 402 BBC) that flowed 830CFM. That was with the stock throttle plates. I did nothing more then played with settings. Then power tuned it of course. The carb, Distributor, valve timing,(Read Tuff's sticky On Cams) (Pmans valve train Geometry), tire size, distributor adv. etc,etc. The list goes on and on. It's a little of this and a little of that. You would be surprised what 2 psi of rear tire air pressure can make on ET.

I guess what I'm trying to say to you why spend all that money on something that may-or-may-not get you any performance advantage. $800.00 to me is a lot of money to spend. Purchase a couple books about Holley carbs. I still think they are one of the best. Everybody copy's them. When you make adjustments make one at a time, and this way you can see what it does if anything. I learned in my parents driveway. Backed the car up made another hole-shot. etc,etc....
  Of course the bottom line is up to you. You make the final decisions.
I could tell you a story about my (2) buddy's back in the day,(circa 1960's) before we all went into the service and whatever direction life took us. In short they through an engine together that was in a pile, in the corner of our club garage. It was a 301 SBC. The carb was set up so rich it had to idle at 3,000RPM. So they replaced that went to the track and put that carb on the engine. We made 400 passes on that engine that summer. We all drove it. Back in those days we drove it to the track. If it broke, we left it, and went and fixed it or towed it home during that week. That was in a 55 Nomad 301, 30/30 Duntov Cam Fuelie heads, and a super T-10 Trans. and an AFB carb that we couldn't find the rear metering rods for. With a 4:10 rear gear.... We ran a 7" Bucron rear tire, with 2-PSI air pressure, so we could get some bite. Ran the same spark plugs all summer just cleaned them, and regapped them. We all drove it at Lebanon Valley in NY State. The car sat in the garage for 6 years. We pulled it apart, and ran some of the same parts again. We shifted it at 6,300 RPM little Flimsy Connecting Rods. Can you imagine if we balanced that little SB...
  Just remember Jpatt if you want to make this fun or a life-long dream you need to learn the basics, of engine tuning, then power tuning. Watch what .002 of additional valve clearance does. My 2 cents... Grin  Cool

Bob  

TO TOP