Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuel Pump Push Rod

thepennellbarn
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/27/13 01:33 PM

I have a 427 I'm try to install a new fuel pump on and am having trouble moving the push rod. I've tried rotating the engine but can't seem to get enough space to move the push rod. How much space or play should there be on the rod to install the fuel pump.  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/27/13 02:29 PM

The pump arm, pushrod, and fuel pump lobe on the cam, should maintain contact at all times.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

thepennellbarn
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/27/13 03:41 PM

Understood, but once the pump is out should there not be enough play at the bottom of the push rod to get the pump in? And how much? I try to move the push rod up but there is not enough room to install the new fuel pump.  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/27/13 05:08 PM

Welcome to CHP....

1.As far as the  wear. As long as the pump rod is not egg shaped on either end it should be okay. Put a straight edge across it, and if it has more then .003 to .005 get a new one. Nows the time to replace it.

2.If it concerns you, take it to the auto parts store, and measure it against a new one.

3.Sometime the fuel pump spring is so weak it will slap the pump rod and sound like a engine bearing knock..

4.The only other thing that may cause concern is the cam lobe, its rare, but I have seen them wear almost round, but they will still pump. It will drive you crazy looking for a driveability problem

Replacing the fuel pump

1.In the front of the engine block, where the fuel pump mounts. You will see a 3/8X16 very short bolt. It that does nothing (FOR NOW).

2.Remove the fuel pump.

3.Remove the adapter also.

4.Now the Fuel Pump Rod will fall out.

5.That short bolt can be removed.

6.Get a longer bolt that same thread sixe. Like I said I believe its a 3/8X16 thread.

7.You can install the fuel pump rod, and with the longer bolt. Tighten it lightly against the fuel pump rod.

8.Now install the new fuel pump.

9.Don't forget to Remove the longer bolt.

10.REIINSTALL  the short bolt  again (OR YOU WILL HAVE A BIG OIL LEAK)...

Thats it, tighten all your lines check it for leaks...

If you have any questions..Let us know.. Grin  Cool

Bob  

TO TOP