Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Coil Springs - 63 Impala 327 2D Sedan vs Convertible

bjcaines
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/26/13 06:14 PM

Hi!  Can anyone tell me the differences between coil springs from a 327 2 Door Sedan vs a 327 Convertible with A/C?  Looking on eBay they say there isn't a difference and at the parts store they have 2 different part numbers...looking for some help to point me in the right direction of what I need to look for/be aware of.

Thanks y'all!   Laugh

Betty Jo  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 03/26/13 06:42 PM

wire length

coil spring free height

wire diameter..

amount of coils.. and how the ends are finished..

take a look at the next 5 or 6 pages

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=19005

click the tiny images right or left to go that way.. if you click the links at the top.. you might go to the next section...

you may want to get an accurate weight of the finished car..  or fine tune with various thickness urethane discs..  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 03/26/13 06:51 PM

the aftermarket springs have different ratings

Part Number: FCS658AS
Weight: 17.5 lbs
Application: With A/C Super sport
Bar Size (in): 0.7
Coil End Type (2): Pigtail
Constant or Variable Spring Rate: Constant Rate
Item Grade: OEM Standard
Package Contents: 2 Springs
Package Quantity: 2
Spring Maximum Compressed Diameter (in): 3.8
Spring Maximum Compressed Length (in): 11.8
Spring Uncompressed Diameter (in): 3.8
Spring Uncompressed Length (in): 16.899999
Coil End Type (1): Pigtail

here is the similar car without AC

Part Number: FCS6084S
Weight: 28.64 lbs
Application: Without A/C Super sport
Bar Size (in): 0.7
Coil End Type (2): Pigtail
Constant or Variable Spring Rate: Constant Rate
Item Grade: OEM Standard
Package Contents: 2 Springs
Package Quantity: 2
Spring Maximum Compressed Diameter (in): 3.8
Spring Maximum Compressed Length (in): 12
Spring Uncompressed Diameter (in): 3.8
Spring Uncompressed Length (in): 16.8
Coil End Type (1): Pigtail

so many ways to go.. i saw 9 different springs.. and i did not check convertibles..  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/27/13 02:02 PM

Bjcaines welcome to CHP.

I'm going to give it to the easy way.

1.Your convertible weights more, then your coupe so you need more front coild spring, and a thicker front sway bar, to help control body roll.

2.Your coupe maybe a little lighter, and it will also take a different coil spring. The sway bar is also thicker.

3.On any sway bar you decide to use, purchase and install polyurethane bushing's to stiffen the nice Heavy Duty sway bar kit  you purchased. (Just some FYI I noticed on the kits I've installed the poly bushings squeak). Here is wath I do to help eliminate the suqeak.

1.The mating surface the bushing will sit in I take a dremel tool with a small wire wheel attached. Now remove all the paint from the painted surface. Then clean the remaining paint with Laquer thinner even acetone from finger nail polish. Now when you install all the pieces together use a little Moly Grease on  all the mating  the surface surfaces the bushing come in contact with. That should stop the squeeking sound. Just my 2 cents Hope this helps.

Bob  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/27/13 02:16 PM

Bjcaines
One other thing when you have a suspension that is evenly weighted its a more comforable car to drive. It corners nice, very little body roll, the sway bar and coils are controlling that. The shock is controlling your ride its nice and smooth. A package that has a tuned suspension thats the company I would buy from. Purchase a complete parkage from one Company only. This way their packages will be matched to your car specs....  

Marvin63
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/29/13 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone (this is Bjcaines, via my dad's login!)

I have a question regarding the sway bar thickness...where can I find the specs for the OE and figure my options for that route - that's a good point pepsi!

We bought the car last fall so now we're getting spring fever but we need her standing tall for the season!  

TO TOP