Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

new guy. new engine, riped off?

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 12:54 PM

Hi everyone, new guy here. Very new to understanding how engines work aside from bolt ons on all my previous Hondas. I'm in the works of building a 1987 camaro sport coupe. (And learning a lot)

Having said that, rather than build a engine I bougt one from a local builder. I payed 2350 for a vortec 350.

I bought the engine and was excited as anyone would be. But now fear that maybe I overpayed for what I got and that it won't fulfill my expectations of a v8 (my first v8)

Can anyone tell me based on the info below (that I pieced together from numerous emails) if this engine meets the 330 HP estimate that the builder gave me and if I over played.

What I'm hoping to have is a car with plenty of tq to fry tires if I want and enough HP to put a smile on my face when I put my foot down.

Freshly rebuilt
1998+ 5.7 vortec
.30 over
Stock spec crank, rods, pistons, lifters, pushrods.
Stock vortec Heads #10239906
Top cut valve guids 175 " to allow a multitude of cam profiles .
Cam #14097395 (HT383/ramjet350) 459 int and .502  ext  on the 109 cl. ( corrected value with the 1.6 rockers )
1.6:1 roller tip rockers
early springs and removed inner dampers ( this damper has to be removed to fit guide boss )
The use of the early spring is perfect for non agressive ( slow accelerating ramp on cam profile )
and is more cost efective and reliable than the alternative bee hive spring .
You are good to .550 lift .
Edelbrock performer rpm manifold
Proform hei distributor
Taylor plug wires
NGK plugs

Parts I have that the engine didn't include
Holly 650
Hooker shorty headers

Thanks in advance everyone.  

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 03:15 PM

Anyone??  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/27/13 03:25 PM

Sounds good, EXCEPT for the "modified" valve springs. There was a reason GM made them that way. I would be afraid of valve float at higher RPM's. I had some Vortec heads worked on and had the shop put the Beehive springs on to handle the required spring pressure to keep the valves closed when they are supposed to be closed. Have you checked for valve spring bind at max lift? Those springs were not made to go with that cam. (depending on which "early" springs they may not even work correctly on those vortec heads. I hope the engine came with a guarantee.  

skyeking
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/27/13 03:29 PM

Hi there,
 By having 1.6 rockers you may have altered the program for the springs.
 Been there and dun that too..Good luck..Noel in Australia.  
skyeking

pepsi1
Posted: 03/27/13 03:53 PM

What vehicle is your engine going in?

All you really had to do is stay the way the cam and spring pachage where. What are your concerns.

Bob  

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 04:05 PM

Zman123,

I did ask him about coilbind, he said that the 1.6 rollers took all the safty cusion out of factor and that coilbind is now to a minimum . But still in the parameters. I'm guessing I should seriously consider z06 or beehive springs? Does any company make a spring that I can use that wouldn't require machining down the 'spring hole' (I can't recall the term used for that process)

That and he said the way it is now I'm at .550 lift MAX.  would new springs up that lift or am I stuck with mild cams?
I would like a nice round 300 to the wheels.

Thanks  

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 04:15 PM

Pepsi1

The engine is going in a 1987 camaro sport coupe. My concerns are that he told me 330 HP and it not being close to that.
and aside from rockers, intake and cam I spent 2350 bucks on a pretty much stock vortec. Did I spend too much?  

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 04:18 PM

And yes the engine came with a 1 year 20k warranty  

geargrabber
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 05:09 PM

My opinion..I don`t think you got ripped off. Quite a bit of work (machining) to rebuilding an engine. If he is a local rebuilder (reputable?) he should know what will work as far as valve springs/cam & rocker arm ratio. Sounds like you are at the very limits to what will work on those heads, without removing them and having the `spring pockets` machined to allow for a larger diameter spring, and the guides may need machined for clearance on the OD as well.(at this point it becomes more economical to buy aftermarket...ask me how I know Smile
I think you should not sweat it...put it together and enjoy..and learn.
Congratulations and good luck on your first Chevy build.  

Dave632
Posted: 03/27/13 05:15 PM

If the engine has been freshly rebuilt and in good condition the price does not sound out of line to me.
Whether it makes that much hp could be questioned.
Have it rear wheel dyno'd and figure a 25-30% loss thru the drivetrain. If it's making 210-240 at the rear wheels you should be in the ball park.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

87vorteccamaro
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/27/13 05:49 PM

Thanks geargrabber and dave623.

A few more question tho,
givin the parts used, being this car will be a Sunday driver with occasional trips to the local track (1/4)
Should I be looking at a stall converter? If so wich one?
And what rear gears should I look into?

Again, I'm sorry for the lame questions but I'm still learning.  

Dave632
Posted: 03/27/13 06:14 PM

Questions are not lame how would you learn if you don't ask.
I would suggest a mild converter of around 3000-3200 stall with a tranny cooler as you will be street driving it some and higher stall produces more heat in the trans.
If you don't run a higher stall you will be fighting the engine at idle when stopped for a light unless you are running a stick shift. The higher stall will give you a better launch if you have the traction to handle it.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

68scott385
Posted: 03/27/13 06:27 PM

The L31 engines weren't barnburners in the trucks but can be helped out.

I've heard that Vortec heads have a hard time breathing over 5000rpm. For the money spent to make them breathe at that rpm you could have bought a real nice set of name brand aluminum heads.

When using an O/D trans, a 3.73 rear gear is a good compromise for a driver that may occasionally see track time. More gear = less fun on the street, less gear = less fun on the track.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Posted: 03/28/13 08:52 AM

it doesnt sound like the worst deal.   do you have any more info like the cam duration and your rear gear ratio?  posi?   your headers will help with power a little.  going dual or single exhaust?    subframe connecters are a good addition when you get time.  

geargrabber
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/28/13 05:13 PM

Not sure if a sport coupe model came with a limited slip rear end, but that shouldn`t be too difficult to find used..might be other cars that era that would have had 3.73 gear and posi...Monte Carlo interchangable? not sure. I am pretty certain that a friends IROC Z had that combo. Haha..man them sure seemed like a nice looking car for the day...even though the performance was less than stellar.

Edit to add; a posi/limited slip rear end is going to be a `must have`...nothing more dissapointing than one tire on fire.  

123 Last
TO TOP