Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

'91 K code 4cyl engine issue

netwarrior36
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/20/13 02:38 PM

I've got a 91 k code 2.0 and the water pump is in need of replacement, the issue is, however, that the bolt holding the timing gear onto the crank is seized or something because no matter what I try I've been unable to budge it and have started to strip it. Is this bolt reverse threaded or something? I've soaked it, I've impacted it, I've tried the starter trick, I'm out of options unless someone is able to offer up any other advise  
--------------------
"If it breaks it was good, and if it doesn't break it's bad."

1978 Chevrolet Nova two-door hatchback

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/20/13 03:24 PM

I have never touched a 4cyl in a late model but an old trick is to actually, with an Impact gun, Hammer it Clockwise a bit to help and brake it loose then of course go back Counter Clock wise to take it out Make Sure you are using the Correct Socket.A pretty Chromed one Can Strip or round off the corners. you want the Correct Impact Socket.  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/20/13 04:36 PM

netwarrior36
  If you can get onto the bolt head. Apply heat, let it cool, apply heat, let it cool. do this as many times as it takes. Don't rush it. Make sure you are going in the direction to remove the bolt, when you are removing the bolt. Keep the heat as high as you can, you will need to replace the the seals anyway. (You don't want to snap the bolt). Then you will have a weekends worth of drilling and tapping and using an easy out. But by heating it and letting it cool it will eventually release what ever it is that is it's holding power...
  It will probably smoke from the engine oil thats on the reverse side of the cover...Good Luck...You will need the heat of a torch, I don't think a propane torch will make enough heat.

Bob  

netwarrior36
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/22/13 12:10 PM

Tried it all still no luck  
--------------------
"If it breaks it was good, and if it doesn't break it's bad."

1978 Chevrolet Nova two-door hatchback

TO TOP