Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Headers or stock manifold

concrete7
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/25/13 05:20 AM

I am replacing a 305 with a 350 L31-R have replaced exhaust with true duals, have been told I should put headers on, I have only heard that they will give you trouble down the road with cracking and leaking, what difference would I notice with headers?  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/25/13 06:28 AM

Welcome to CHP concrete7:

What do you have for a vehicle, car/truck, the transmission type, and rear gear ratio. This all helps...
  If you drive in the winter months, bad weather is always a threat to any exhaust system, snow, salt gets to the exhaust of any type vehicle after awhile. My brother lives in Port Orange Florida and is about 15 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. (He said the metal handles on his garage doors are always corroding). Even the aluminum handles on the valves for his (Cement Pond)...lol... Cool  
  Headers have different coatings today.IE. Painted, Powder Coated, Ceramic Coatings,then there is Stainless Steel, thats the choice I can't make for you. MY thought's on Ceramic Coatings is this.
  (IMO)If the Ceramic can get all the way down into a the inside of the tubes, thats great. The acids left behind from the exhaust gases, can eat metals over time.  
  I'm sure there are other GURU's that have run headers for the street, and can help you better then I can. Just hang in there, and wait a day or so.
  Headers can get you 15 to 25 horse power gain over the stock exhaust. You have a true dual exhaust. But what comes into play is this. Did you change the cam? Rear gears. Any mods other then a stock engine. All those are gains.
  I know its the long way for a short answer....Is it worth $400.00 to $600.00? I would put my money in other modifacations..Have a good day...

Bob  

68scott385
Posted: 03/25/13 07:31 AM

Headers weigh less, much less than cast iron manifolds. If speed/acceleration is a high priority then get headers.

Uncoated headers will, if used long enough, wear thin in places due to hot/cold cycles along with dealing with the natural elements of daily driving.

Headers require regular maintenance in as much as tightening the bolts frequently. Most headers, at least all the ones I've used, have gasket seating problems. In many cases using the factory style exhaust gaskets work better than the header gaskets supplied with the headers or any of the others available from the aftermarket companies. That's just at the head, many times headers have just as many sealing problems at the collector end too. Again trial and error to see what workls best in you situation/application.

If you want bolt-on, never-touch-it-again reliability, then factory manifolds are for you. If ypou are trying to squeeze out every last horsepower, then headers are the ticket.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Dave632
Posted: 03/25/13 01:44 PM

As stated if performance is your goal then by all means get the headers.

Stock exhaust manifolds will last the life of the car. Headers have a limited life expectancy. I had a set of ceramic coated headers on my 95 Camaro and they were on that car for seven years with no problems and no rust. it depends on how important performance is to you, headers can gain between 10 and 25 hp depending on application. You will usually get better fuel mileage with headers also.

The question is do you want to spend the $500 or so for the coated headers for your ride.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

concrete7
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/26/13 04:57 AM

The engine is going in a K1500 1990 chev.  I am using this intake  http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12496821/10002/-1  and a custom chip from TBI  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-CHIP-KIT-Chevy-350-383-GM-Truck-TBI-93-94-95-/200487853285?hash=item2eae01dce5&item=200487853285&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr  
I hoping I notice a difference going from a stock 305 to the 350 setup!  

Dave632
Posted: 03/26/13 06:11 AM

You should surely notice a difference of 45 cubic inches.
305s were surely not performance motors.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

TO TOP