12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vortec Head Confusion

YoungMachanic8
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/14/13 11:02 PM

Hey everybody, I recently came across a pair of vortec heads at a local junk yard. They came off of a 1999 Chevy Tahoe and the last three digits were 062. I was wondering, while they were at the machine shop being checked for cracks, what all do I have to do to them before I can put them on my stock sbc 350? I've been asking around and been getting different answers like the intake and exhaust valves have to be replaced or valve springs.Or if everything comes back ok, can I just bolt them on along with a vortec intake and headers and call it a day? And would I be able to use roller rockers? Also later down the way I would like to swap in another cam; so what would you guys suggest would go along with these heads?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or a link that could help answer these question would also help.

Thanks,
YoungMachanic8  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/15/13 05:21 AM

heres some info.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/  

78Vette91
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/17/13 12:50 AM

I, myself, have two sets of Vortec 062 heads; one of which is on my 355cui SBC. One set is wrapped up and stored in stock form after complete cleaning, check, and repair and surface clean up. The other set is on my 355cui motor and have 7/16" screw in studs, a set of Alex's Parts 1.265" springs designed specifically for the Vortec Heads that require NO modifications to the head! They're right at $108 with shipping. Also, head surfaces were cleaned up (a little more than I wanted) to bring the Chamber size down to 60.2cc's. With a .041" gasket and 4 valve relief flat top piston I have 10.16:1 Compression; 10.92 with .015" Shim head gasket. Intake runners have a ridge that were removed at the machine shop as well making them 175cc's. Push rod holes had a 1/2" drill bit ran through them to clear for my 1.6 stainless steel roller rockers. NO port and polishing is necessary according to two of my Vortec Head Engine Building Experts. I'm running a Howards Race Cam 214/218 duration at .050".  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/17/13 02:11 AM

YoungMachanic8 thank you....

Here is what you have. L31 Vortec heads. 64cc Combustion Chamber. 1.94"/1.5" valves. 170cc Intake port. Your pretty much there once they come from the machine shop.

If your good with a die grinder, gasket match the intake and blend theintake, and exhaust bowls. It wakes them up. If you gasket match the intake. Scribe the gasket and go into the intake port 2.5" approx. on all the intake runners. The exhaust open them up as big as you exhaust gasket, but stay inside a 1/32" for exhaust gasket shrinkage. If you can just clean up any of the parting lines, and blend all those in. You can get another 10 to 12 Horse power.
  If you really want to go crazy install 2.02"/1.6" valves and do all that blend work. With a decent cam 20 to 25 Horse power increase. Take .005 off the deck, and you have a nice set of custom heads. 3 Angle valve Job....
  If your machine shop guy checks them for cracks and installs new seats for a 2.02"/1.6" valve do all that work and bring the heads back for him to finish. I like those heads they respond to even minor changes to them.
  But don't install 2.02"/1.6" valves and not do the blending and bowl work it's just a waste..... If you need any more info PM me.... Grin  Cool

Bob  

skyeking
Posted: 01/17/13 05:10 PM

Salutations Wise and ANCIENT One!!  
skyeking

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/18/13 11:10 AM

Icon Quote78Vette91:
I, myself, have two sets of Vortec 062 heads; one of which is on my 355cui SBC. One set is wrapped up and stored in stock form after complete cleaning, check, and repair and surface clean up. The other set is on my 355cui motor and have 7/16" screw in studs, a set of Alex's Parts 1.265" springs designed specifically for the Vortec Heads that require NO modifications to the head! They're right at $108 with shipping. Also, head surfaces were cleaned up (a little more than I wanted) to bring the Chamber size down to 60.2cc's. With a .041" gasket and 4 valve relief flat top piston I have 10.16:1 Compression; 10.92 with .015" Shim head gasket. Intake runners have a ridge that were removed at the machine shop as well making them 175cc's. Push rod holes had a 1/2" drill bit ran through them to clear for my 1.6 stainless steel roller rockers. NO port and polishing is necessary according to two of my Vortec Head Engine Building Experts. I'm running a Howards Race Cam 214/218 duration at .050".

You say that you're running Howards 214/218 cam (Howards, Retro-Fit Hyd. Roller Cam & Lifter Kit, Chev SB Chev SB Duration @ .050": 214/218 Adv. Duration: 270/280 Lift: .488"/.495" Lobe Sep: 112 Deg).
without any modifications to the head.
That's odd, because at .480" the retainer contacts the stem seal that sits on top of the valve guide.
It's recommended that .060" clearance be maintained at retainer/seal.,. you have less than "zero" clearance.
So what is your secret to pull this off.,. please fill us in.
I'm sure a lot of folks are curious.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/18/13 11:48 AM

Longer Valve Stem and a taller Spring?.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/18/13 12:03 PM

That is an option.,. along with 16 longer push rods.
Seems to me, this would be the long way around and most expensive.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/18/13 03:08 PM

This leads us to valvesprings, which require the most attention in a performance application. Since this is an OEM iron head, GM designed the valve guide to also serve as the inside diameter (id) locating device for the valvesprings. The guide?s large diameter acts like a sleeve that keeps the single-wire valvespring located >> properly. The guide is also machined at the top to mount a positive-style, 0.560-inch-diameter valve-guide seal. All of this conspires to limit total valve lift to a safe figure between 0.420 and 0.430 inch. The limitation is the clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the valve-guide seal.

Accommodating more valve lift requires modifications to the valvespring seat and valve-guide areas of the head. The best route is to increase the spring-seat diameter from the standard 1.25 inches to 1.440 inches. Both Comp and Crane offer tools that use a valve-guide arbor to position the cutter. The Comp Cams cutter increases the spring-seat diameter while simultaneously reducing the outside diameter (od) of the guide boss. The Crane tool also cuts the valve-guide-seal diameter at the same time. Comp sells a separate tool that cuts a new guide seal and reduces the guide height to create additional retainer-to-seal clearance. Both cutters machine the top of the guide down to a 0.530-inch diameter, which is the standard size for positive-type aftermarket seals. This requires purchasing new valve-guide seals, since the factory uses a 0.560-inch guide to locate the seals. Another way to go is to have a machine shop cut the guide boss diameter to around 0.760 inch and reduce the seal height and use either the Crane H-11 tool steel spring (PN 99846) or the Comp spring (PN 981).

Once these machining operations have been completed, you have the choice of several aftermarket valvesprings to match your cam profile. These machining operations will produce enough clearance to allow between 0.525- and 0.550-inch valve lift before running into valvespring coil-bind. Given a 1.440-inch valvespring seat diameter, Comp and Crane offer several single and dual springs that will work with the stock valves.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/18/13 03:33 PM

+1 Pman,
Might as well do it properly in the first place.,. rather than hodge podge everything together.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

76Skylark
Posted: 01/18/13 04:06 PM

I just Googled Alex's Parts Web site. the way he Does it is the Shape of the Spring retainer and then a spring that fits. Clever Enuff!  good to .550 lift  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/18/13 04:36 PM

I learned something new today, and here it is.

Drop in fit, .550" Lift, SBC Iron Vortec
Valve Spring Kit for SB Chevy Vortec

High Performance Hydraulic Roller, up to .550" Lift

Our Vortec kit is engineered specifically for Iron Vortec heads. That's right, no machine work required to set up a pair of SBC Iron Vortec heads for .550" lift.

We engineered this kit with all the right parts just so Vortec head owners won't have to machine the spring seats and guides to run up to .550" lift.

Great for engines with 1.6, high ratio rockers.

Yes, works with self aligning rockers as well as heads w/ screw in studs and guide plates and std, non self aligning rockers.

As you may already know, Vortec heads have a problem w/ retainer to seal clearance. The stock retainers and springs do not allow for more then around .460" lift.

We use a special retainer and spring combination which solves two vortec head problems.

1.The retainer to seal clearance issue.

2.Spring base diameter issue (vortec heads will not accept common SBC springs)

The issue with clearance between the retainer and seal was solved by producting a special retainer which offers maximum clearance between the bottom side of retainer and the top of the seal. The bottom of the retainer is pretty much "flush" with the bottom edge of the locks. This design offers maximum clearance without compromising strength or requiring the guides to be shortened.

Our springs are a perfect fit on the stock Vortec spring base.

Both problems solved!

Stock valves have .260" IN/.289" EX Tip lengths which will generally allow for up to .550" lift.

It it durable? Yes! This same kit is running on hundreds of Vortec engine world wide.

Kit comes with:

•Sixteen- High Output Drop In Fit Valve Springs
•Sixteen- Chrome Moly Retainers, 7 degree
•Sixteen- 7 Degree Hardened Valve Locks

For 130 Lb seat pressure, we recommend purchasing a shim kit to facilitate setting up the proper installed height. Read the tech info under the "Valve Spring Shims" catagory for more details about how to set up installed height.

Specifications:

•Outside Diameter- 1.270"

•Inside Diameter- .880"
•130 Lbs @ 1.790" - Great for Performance Hydraulic Roller Cams or Mechanical Flat Tappet Cams
•320 @ .500" Lift
•340 @ .550" lift

•360 Lbs @ 1.190
•Rate- 358
•Average Coil Bind- 1.145
•Spring Type- Straight wall from bottom to top

•Kits for High Performance Hydraulic Flat Tappet & Mild Hyd Roller are also available.

Suitable for many Hyd Roller cams w/ up to 244 degrees duration @ .050"

Hydraulic roller cams in need of stiffer springs can contact us for other options including a LS series dual spring conversion kit for SBC Vortec.

Requirements- Valve Seal replacement is highly suggested. It's important for the installer to make 100% sure the seals are fully seated down on the guide. Seals which are not fully seated will reduce maximum lift capacity. It is the installers full responsibility to take measurments between retainer bottom and seal top to verify there is suitable clearance.

Vortec heads normally use: 11/32" X .552" seals but we have seen some guides measure up to .558".  Other seal sizes are available.

NOTE-1- Spring installed height must be checked and shimmed as necessary.

NOTE-2- Not for Gen III/IV LS series aluminum head Vortec. Check our other spring kits for these applications.

NOTE-3- We do not recommend the use of "HOWARDS" brand self aligning rockers. Due to their bulky design, clearance between rocker and retainer are either limited or non existant. Most other brands of self aligning rockers work fine. Be sure to verify suitable clearances exist.

OPTIONS; Buyers may choose from several different companion items required for proper valve spring kit installation. At the top of this page, there are several check boxes.

There are two versions of shims available; Hardened and Std. (we recommend going with hardened) Our Viton valve seals fit stock vortec guide boss diameters of .552"-.556"(stock)

The installed height micrometer is a modified version which fits Vortec heads. The way these tools come from the factory, they won't fit over the Vortecs large guide diameter at the base, our vortec tools have been specially machined to sit further down than std production installed height tools, a must for Vortec applications.

http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spring-kit-sb-chevy-vortec-hi-perf-hyd-roller/

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/18/13 06:38 PM

.. +1... Good, handy info to bookmark on those Alex's parts...  

YoungMachanic8
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/21/13 10:03 AM

Sorry it has taken me a couple days to respond just been a little busy of late; but that isn't really a proper excuse. I appreciate everyone’s assistance on helping me figure out what is needed for these vortec heads. I’m ok with a die grinder, but I would probably feel more comfortable letting someone else take care of it.If there was a video to show a "how-to", i'll give it a shot. All in all what sort of price tag am I looking at here for the suggestions you have given Pepsi1? Also do I need to replace the springs like 78Vette91 has done?  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/21/13 02:07 PM

Most likely If you replace the cam,the cam maker recommends a spring to go with it. if you remain with a factory cam the springs MAY not need replacing.    but if you change the cam you NEED to get new lifters unless they are roller lifters and have semi low mileage but with a larger Cam you need the springs that accompany it.  

12 Last
TO TOP