Item Posts    Sort Order

The Iron Duke

67Delmont
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/14/13 06:32 AM

Hello had to talk about an oldy. Just seen a post where guy said he's going to v-8 s-10 and junk Iron Duke. Yes the S-10 is a 2.5, but the Iron Duke Is a dog of it's own. They made The Iron Duke in 60's they came in chevy 2's 64 and 65 for sure. Only seen 3 in my life, 1 on a boat, 1 on a john deere tractor, and 1 on a homemade trike. The intake and exhaust is just like a inline 6 they bolt together. The one in the boat i sold that guy an intake for $200 and it was cracked.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 03/14/13 07:35 AM

the iron duke??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine

the chevy 153  could this have been called the iron duke???? i don't know but i bet there are some forum members who do..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_153_4-cylinder_engine

there was also a 195 pontiac.. that was half a 389...  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 03/14/13 07:59 AM

So I won't ruin the class here and If you do not know the Best little 4 Cyl. ever Start Studying. the best block and several race heads are available.generally considered a Pontiac I have friends with Old School race cars (Road Race) with some making Over 400HP turbo ed.The Last hurrah was prob.the Fiero but they then got Very heavy (the car)and still won the IMSA GTU in the 80's  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/14/13 11:26 AM

i had an iron duke in an s-10 and it was super reliable.   didnt have much power but the radio and a/c worked, lol.   good lil work truck.
   wasnt the "duke", the POWERplant to the cheVETTE? Confused
  some of the early 3rd gen camaros came with them!   theyre actually kinda rare,{probably cause nobody wanted one in an f-body?},...but could be worth some good money one day if kept in mint condition?  

idrivejunk
Posted: 03/14/13 05:03 PM

Icon Quote67Delmont:
Hello had to talk about an oldy. Just seen a post where guy said he's going to v-8 s-10 and junk Iron Duke. Yes the S-10 is a 2.5, but the Iron Duke Is a dog of it's own. They made The Iron Duke in 60's they came in chevy 2's 64 and 65 for sure. Only seen 3 in my life, 1 on a boat, 1 on a john deere tractor, and 1 on a homemade trike. The intake and exhaust is just like a inline 6 they bolt together. The one in the boat i sold that guy an intake for $200 and it was cracked.

Delmont if you want to argue with me, I'm not into that. Please PM me if you want to discuss the problem you have with my post. If you read that thread closely enough to notice my comment, then you should also have noticed that I have abandoned the project idea altogether. I'm not sure you know just which engine is the Iron Duke so I'm out. If you have an intake laying around and somebody wants to give you two hun for it, man I'd be jumpin on that. Peace.  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 03/15/13 01:43 PM

Icon Quoteredneckjoe69:
i had an iron duke in an s-10 and it was super reliable.   didnt have much power but the radio and a/c worked, lol.   good lil work truck.
   wasnt the "duke", the POWERplant to the cheVETTE? Confused
  some of the early 3rd gen camaros came with them!   theyre actually kinda rare,{probably cause nobody wanted one in an f-body?},...but could be worth some good money one day if kept in mint condition?

Joe:
I think Pontiac used the Iron Duke back in the day also. It was a reliable engine.

I knew a guy that travelled to NY city for work from New Jersey. He had a Chevy Luv.
It had a *** 4 cylinder in it. It gave up the ghost, and he installed the iron duke. He said he got 5MPG with the Duke.

Bob  

67Delmont
Posted: 03/18/13 11:03 AM

Not arguing. Just alway's heard of the 60's model 2.5 called the iron duke. And it is totally different from the 2.5's made in the 80's. The intake and exhaust bolt together like a inline 6. That's why the guy give $200 for the intake. It have to be off the 60's model motor. Google it man. Like i never heard of the "indy four" until other day and googled it and checked it out  

67Delmont
Posted: 03/18/13 11:17 AM

Pontiac started using it in the 70's. And it came in about everything including AMC's. The first iron duke was in chevy2's. You can google it. Iron duke in chevy 2. It is a different ball of wax. The intake and exhaust bolt together like an inline 6. That's why guy give $200 for intake it had to be off 60's model motor. If guy want's to give $200?? Hell i said i sold it. That's been 3yrs ago.  

joseluis84
Posted: 03/24/13 08:59 AM

hello tthis car is 4 daily dravin and use and i whant 2 know how much horse power 2  expect ?? .... some  knows   what  would be   good  cam .......
my engine is  chevy  350  .
bore 40. over   kb forged piston 11.01         automatic transmision 350
ported head 74cc                                shift kit,racing clucht
valve 2.02 int     1.60 ex                     converte 2,700
100.lbs 3 spring whit retainers
edelbrok performen rpm intake
holley 670 streat avenger
this is a proyect  i haven put togeter all the  engine  yet.  am lookin  4  a good cam an roller    what  number  or  wich one ???  

TO TOP