Item Posts    Sort Order

Am I getting ripped off?

ldickersonc
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/04/13 03:17 PM

Took my 68 camaro for an estimate for a paint job.  Came back with 70 hrs body repair, 66 hrs for paint, paint supplies, and body supplies for $11,600.  About right or should I steer clear?  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/04/13 03:23 PM

Boy I would get a 2nd estimate on that one.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/04/13 04:19 PM

Sounds about par for guaranteed work to me, if it includes basic teardown / reassembly and very few parts. That should get the color changed with nothing too fancy and a decent buff job but nothing underneath the car except maybe quickie undercoat. Engine compartment and all jambs should be painted inside and out but probably no engine paint work and only minor dent fixing, no rust.  It costs about fifty bucks to fill the cup on a half liter spray gun cup just once. Be aware that estimate, repair order, and invoice are all different terms with different meanings!  
idrivejunk

ldickersonc
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/04/13 04:26 PM

forgot to mention, i will be pulling the engine out to do myself, they will spray the engine bay.  I will pull all the trim/glass/bumpers etc. for them.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/04/13 04:36 PM

If thats the case it might be a little high, but I just remembered you want cleared-over stripes, right? Did they itemize? Zero parts? Zero repairs? Just paint? With buffing or without? Doors, hood, fenders, and trunk lid all need to be gutted and removed for a proper color change. Best to take the hinges off the cowl too. And redo all the exterior seam sealer.  
idrivejunk

TO TOP