Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1974 Chevy 350 rebuild

Geo.
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/04/13 04:01 AM

Hi folks, am new to this forum and have the following question;
I'm rebuilding a '74 350 small block from the ground up, except for the heads (gently used, larger diameter valves) the carburettor (AFB 4-barrel), intake manifold (an Edelbrock "x" shape).  The cylinders have been bored 30-over, the new pistons are flat-faced, and I'm putting in an RV cam.  The current distributor/ignition setup is an unknown quantity (other than it's the type without points and condenser).  The question is this: what's a good way to go in terms of ignition setup (distributor, coil, wires, plugs, etc).  The engine will be mounted in a '70 C-10 longbed pickup, with which I would like to be able to use to occasionally tow a 31-ft Airstream.  Since I'm going this far in terms of time and expense, I figure I might as well go with a new ignition setup.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.
PS.  The current engine is an abused, tired and anemic 305 which I can't reconcile myself to living with.  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/04/13 06:12 AM

Just to get you Started,If you want a tow truck then the 350 will work with the right rear end Gear(lots of it) If I had to I would use a stroker/383 or a 400 block and really you should just go Straight to a 454 they are plentiful around here for less than a grand and some have been as low as 400 for a rebuilder to 6-750 for running engines. what kind of budget do you see.also a c-10 though a truck, brakes may be a tad small and I would look for a 30 series,31 footer ain't small.Sounds like the Ign. is an HEI so new parts in side is all it would need and you can find New ones with High output parts for around 100 bucks.  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/04/13 09:18 AM

A HEI ignition will work fine in your application.

You said "X" shape intake manifold, sounds like a single plane, if you're using the truck to tow you'll want all the low-end torque you can get and a single-plane won't do that. Get an Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM dual-plane manifold to help that motor pull your trailer.

A 350 will pull your trailer, it may leave something to be desired in the power/efficiency department. You didn't mention what transmission you plan on using or what the rear gear ratio is. Both of those will play a big role in how well your truck pulls your trailer.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Dave632
Posted: 01/04/13 02:27 PM

In my opinion as far as towing you cannot beat a dually.
I tried towing a 24' trailer with a race car in it with a regular 350 Chevy pickup and it was a nightmare. Not only did it struggle to move it but it swayed all over the place.
The dually was far more stable.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

skyeking
Posted: 01/04/13 02:58 PM

Hi there,
A Performer manifold with the AFB carby
and the cam is a good combo.
As stated above a Dually is the ONLY way to go.
Been there and done that
with a Dodge which was reliable at all times...
Skyeking.  
skyeking

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/06/13 10:47 PM

.. Also depends on how far you will be towing and the terrain... a few blocks, several miles, 1,000's of miles? flat ground, hills, mountains?

.. If you have a performance single plane intake in good shape, can prolly sell it for about 1/2 - 3/4's what it currently costs new... then get a used or new stock or aftermarket dual plane 4bbl. intake...

.. A lot of cams are called 'RV' from smaller than stock, to stock size,  to way too big above stock... got any duration at .050" lift numbers?

.. As others said, stock distributor, coil, wires, plugs fine... get new parts for any too old...  

TO TOP