Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Roller tipped fuel pump push rod

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/23/13 07:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Comp Cams 4609 roller tipped fuel pump push rod?
After the demise of the fuel pump eccentric on my roller cam, I want to be safe with the new cam and have opted for this part.
I'm wondering if I'm getting myself into some other kind of trouble with this.
I've used a light weight bronze tipped push rod (also from Comp) however I think that the OEM part that I used previously had already worn through the hardness on the cam face and the failure was inevitable.
I'm not into adding a can of engine oil additive everytime I change the oil nor do I care for Rotella or the ZDDP supplemented oils that are currently available (I like my synthetic).
Thanks.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/23/13 09:05 PM

now thats creative...

are you running a HIGH PRESSURE fuel pump..38 to 75PSI  rather than the 5 to 7 psi pump???

Cca 4609 W  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/24/13 06:28 AM

Skinny, did you have a pic of that cam on 3rdgen?   that eccentric was ate up bad!    
   id try the comp pushrod before i chanced that happening again.  

pepsi1
Posted: 02/24/13 08:49 AM

skinnyz:

Is there a reason you want or have to use a mechanical fuel pump?

IMO. "Please Note" so noone gets their hairs crossed this is "MY OPINION"!...

Skinnyz:
  I would plumb the system for an electric fuel pump. Using a 1/2" fuel line as a minimum, and using a return line from the carb. If you use a good Electric Fuel pump and Fuel pump regulator, and set the Regulator Fuel pressure at 6.5 psi to 7.0 PSI if running (1) carburetor. You can use a lower pressure as long as you have the flow. 5.5 psi to 6.0 psi will also work. (I've have seen my Tunnel Rammed 331 SBC engine with (2) Holley 660 center squirters run a pressure as low as 3 psi at the big end). It never sputtered..

My experience is this. Whether your using it as a street set-up or a racing set-up.

Set it up as a seperate electrical system and fusing the fuel pump with the correct wire sizing and fuse, and atleast a 1/2" fuel line. (Note when you run a return line it serves (2) purposes).

1.The carb or Carbs will use the amount of fuel they need.

2.The constant flow of fuel, also cools the fuel pump and the regulator. I suggest insulating the complete fuel line pressure and return sides. You can pick up a good insulating material from an HVAC dealer. The material is a little more expensive but I found it doesn't shrink. (You remember Shrinkage)...LOL...

1.You can let the engine cool down and at the same time shut the fuel pump off.

2.At the same time you are relieving and pressure on the fuel system.

3.That lesseons any chance the carb will boil over, and cause a hard starting problem, when the engine is in a hot soak condition "Mainly on a Street Set-Up". (My Race cars where set-up) like this, and all I needed to do was remember to turn the  fuel pump Switch to On...LOL... before my run.

4.If you do a fuel pump set-up like this. Remember to always install the Fuel Filter Before the FUEL PUMP you don't want dirt getting into any of the fuel system.  I don't know if I left anything out. But if I did just ask. If you decide to go this route.

Bob Aka-pepsi1  

Dave632
Posted: 02/24/13 05:16 PM

I ran my race motors with a single BG 400 and always ran a return line with regulator. This kept the pump from getting hot as compared to dead heading it.
I also used a Holley 250 and 140 pumps, using one for motor and one for nitrous, on another race setup. Both worked fine as long as I remembered to do as Bob said and turned the pumps on. Most of the guys I raced against used electric but some had belt driven pumps run off the crank.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 11:15 AM

Nothing fancy regarding the fuel pump. It's an Edelbrock 110 gph unit that produces max 7 psi and can be run without a regulator.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 11:17 AM

Yes that's the cam of my cam on 3rdgen.org. It was toast for sure and what's more, all that material made it into the engine somewhere. The old shortblock is still on the stand waiting for a thorough rebuild.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 11:29 AM

I'm presenty using a Holley Blue pump in place of the mechanical pump. I can't say I like the noise. In fact it drives me nuts.
For what it's worth the electric is installed in the location of the original EFI filter just ahead of the rear tire. There's a 100 micron filter just in front of it. The regulator is on the frame rail adjacent to where the old mechanical pump was. Another filter (I forget the micron rating)is between the regulator and the carb.
It's all plumbed in either 3/8" steel or -6 an braided. The 3/8" spec seems more than enough for the modest 400-425 hp I'm producing. The return from the regulator is the original 5/16" steel from when the car was equipped with the TPI.
If I were to continue with an electric I would opt for an in-tank unit. I haven't heard any externaly mounted electric pump run quietly enough for my satisfaction but then again I haven't heard them all.
The mechanical pump is just a preference but now it's more of an obsession as I've got them parts and want to make them work.
I've never had problems with hard starting with the carbed arrangement. The car was dead nuts reliable, started instantly and deliviered great performance and mpg too. Then the cam lobe dissolved.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 11:31 AM

I'm considering keeping the regulator once I go back to the mechnanical pump. Like it's been mentioned, this would keep the pump from dead heading and reduce some of the trouble associated with that.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 11:33 AM

So, having posted replies to all that responded (and many thanks too), I still haven't heard of anyone that has experience regarding the roller tipped push rod.
Is it one of those things that's pretty but not much good?
The new season approaches and I want to get this thing back together soon.  

pepsi1
Posted: 03/09/13 01:15 PM

Yeah I have insulated the Holley Blue pump
with anything you can think of. It makes noise
and it will run its heart out. I've even rebuild
mine over time. I use to install a new one every
400 to 500 runs.
  I had a 402 Big Block in my Camaro. I ran a mechanical
fuel pump with a light weight push rod. I made a modest
450 HP and I never lost fuel pressure with a single 750
Holley. It ran the big end at 7200 RPM 1/4 mile.

Well skinnyz I hope you have a succesfull year... Good Luck

Bob  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/09/13 07:30 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Bob. Much appreciated.
Here's hoping that this roller tipped push rod doesn't become unglued at some point and take out another camshaft.
I'm determined to make a go of it (mechanical fuel pump that is) until such time that I can invest in a nice in-tank pump.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/01/13 05:03 PM

Bumping this up.
I've tried here and there with the same question and I'm finding no one that has any experience with this push rod.
That's somewhat unsettling but any stories good or bad would be appreciated.  

skinnyz
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/01/13 05:13 PM

Bumping this up.
I've tried here and there with the same question and I'm finding no one that has any experience with this push rod.
That's somewhat unsettling but any stories good or bad would be appreciated.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/01/13 08:43 PM

what's strange is the failure of the pushrod and pump eccentric..

do you have the OLD pushrod..

are the sides smooth??? nobody put Nicks in the sides to hold it up..

was the bolt thru the upper front motor mount TOO LONG... and held too much pressure on the fuel pump push rod.. or prevented it from freely rotating in its bore like lifters ***

if the fuel pump push rod was damaged.. bent.. knicked.. installed with some lock tite to hold it up... and that prevented it from freely rotating...  its going to tear the heck out of the eccentric..

edit... just found this at the summit site..

a problem solver. When a high-pressure fuel pump is run with a steel roller cam core, the stock fuel pump pushrod is not compatible with the steel core. You can damage an expensive roller cam as a result of wear at the fuel pump lobe. COMP Cams offers several fuel pump pushrods in response to this problem.  

12 Last
TO TOP