Item Posts    Sort Order

CHEVY NOVA ENGINE QUESTION FROM AUSTRALIA

ausnova
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/09/12 03:14 AM

Hi Guys,
This is my first post.
I am soon to be collecting a 1972 chevy Nova arriving from the US.
This will be my first v8 as most of my cars prior have been turbocharged.
As I am not a V8 expert could someone please tell me if the engine combination claimed by the previous owners is any good or not.
Also if some one could estimate what sort of horsepower i could acheive from such a combination that would be great.
I understand their are many variables such as diff ratios etc, but just a guide would be great.
Here is what the previous owners is claiming.

It features a 350c.i.block that has been bored .030 over with a 307 crank and rods and 327 pistons. This is a large journal 327c.i. V-8 mated to a Turbo 350 automatic transmission. Engine upgrades include; Flo-Tec aluminum heads, Edelbrock EPS high rise, 625cfm Carter carb and more. Ceramic coated Hooker headers feed thru Flowmaster 40 series with x pipe crossover.  a B&M Quicksilver shifter

Sorry thats all I have

Regards
ausnova  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/09/12 05:14 AM

i didnt know the EPS came in a hi-rise version?   never heard of flo-tec heads, but there could be such a company?

sounds like a nice car though! Cool     try to keep it on the right side of the road, o.k.?   LOL! Grin

welcome to CHP!  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 12/09/12 07:05 AM

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-Tek-Assembled-Small-Block-Chevy-Aluminum-Heads-Angle-Plug,25117.html  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/09/12 08:26 AM

It's open to several factors as you are aware,but 300-375 horses is do able and have a strong street car 13-14 second quarters are poss. the car would have come with a 350ci engine but I am a fan of the shorter stroke as well.If compression isn't too high you can turbo it .do you know if they used a 4-bolt main block or not? at that power level it really does not matter. So welcome to CHP and say hey to SkyeKing in Sidney.  

Dave632
Posted: 12/09/12 10:24 AM

I would guess in the 300-325 range too.
Combo should be good if it was built right.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

ausnova
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/09/12 03:38 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.
I am getting more info soon on the car and will post back then.
I am not after any torque monster here.
I would just be happy with a good cruise car with a bit of poke when needed.
300-325hp in a 1300kg car sounds good to me.
And yes I will be driving on the right side of the road from the left hand side of the car.
May take me a few weeks to adjust.  

Dave632
Posted: 12/09/12 05:32 PM

That is still a pretty healthy car and should make you happy. Remember we always start looking for more.
I got used to my 600" nitrous monster and did not even notice the acceleration when going down the track. My son took it down the track just on motor and it pulled his foot right off the throttle the first time.
How are things there in Australia? It is the one country I always wanted to visit.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

TO TOP