Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

where to mount MSD 6al

Charlie10
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/15/13 05:47 PM

Would it be ok to mount MSD 6al under the dash in a 1970 chevelle ss 454. The car is mostly original and I don't want to mount the MSD on the firewall under the hood. Want the performance but the stock look. Thanks  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/13 06:22 PM

sure... as long as its not in a location where it could get splashed from wet feet if you drive in the rain or snow once in a while...

please make sure that you have additional braided ground straps from the back of the engine block to the firewall.. and ground your large black wire to the MSD on the inside there.. shorten the return path of the spark ...

you can get bulk head electrical connectors to allow you to grab positive voltage right off the top of the starter solenoid for the large red wire...

you can also grab IGN1 current for the small red wire under the dash ...   this would be a pink wire from the ign 1 to the bulk head connector behind the fuse box... do not disconnect it. from the bulk head connector..  as you still need it to power the wipers and probably the resistor bypass circuit unless you want to swap in a replacement ignition switch that does not break the contact to ign 1 when the key is in the cranking position..
most of the replacements are this way..

Ls309ignitionswitchpinout

you only need to run the small orange and the small black to the coil...  please use grommets as there is usually about 400 volts on the orange wire... as i recall..

grounds are very important if you want your msd box to live...  

battery negative to engine block
battery negative to the body
back of the engine to the firewall.  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/15/13 07:03 PM

Charlie 10

Try to mount it on rubber stand-offs. This way the vibration won't get to it. Also make sure it has air around it.
  I took the card-board out of my sons Glove Box and we fabbed a nice piece of aluminum and sat the unit on it. He has a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. You don't even see it.

Bob

Tuff: Sorry about the double post. The first one didn't show up. I reposted it and they both came up...  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/15/13 07:13 PM

Charlie10

Keep it from excessive heat, and if you can mount it on rubber stand-offs. Or put a rubber cushion under the unit. For excessive vibration.
  I mounted the 6AL in my son's glove box. I removed the lining and fabbed a shelf, for the unit. It's hidden and has enough room around it for air. He has a 1986 Monte Carlo SS.... Grin  Cool

Bob  

TO TOP