Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

chevy 383 troubles in need of more experience. Help

billsstroker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/09/13 07:17 PM

Confused my very first time posting,always use information from other peoples forum and learned a bit not enough i have found out. My problem is with a 383 i bought the truck about 3 years ago. Was in a barn for two years,previous owner was a younger cat,more money than brains. He had this engine built to pull a sled. Well he parked it in a barn after thinking he had shelled the manul trans sm 465. He sheared the output shaft of the transfer case. New np205 gear drive transfer case. Here is where i think my new problem stemmed from. Ran like a champ for past 3 years, a month ago had a bad knock in engine. Though it was a spun rod bearing  Shocked crank broke at the front of the block  on the inside,wore main alittle. I drive 15 miles to and from work every day smash the skinny pedal one time a day on the way home never going above 5000 rpm in second gear. This is a 1979 3/4 chevy four wheel drive. I had a new crank and all new bearings, clutch while it was out of the truck. 1600 bucks later and im not impressed with my reputable mechanic. Idels like a dragster,and tough to get it above 3000 rpms in first or second and third is for going down hill. Step into it at about 2500 and it just stumbles almost dies. I have tried today to time it to no avail. Checked tdc bdc took distributer in out nothing  Frown Please please tell me where im at. I want to be firing just before tdc,how much before for this engine. Tomorrow my plan is to go thru it all again trying to avoid pulling fan,pulleys balancer. My valve are gonna help. Could my mech have installed the crank gear for timing on the wrong way? There are four settings om this pulley,i cant identify gear brand. Just about filled this entire page. Sorry new to this getting help from a monitor screen.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/09/13 07:37 PM

He had this engine built to pull a sled.     big cam.. lots of compression probably.. is why it idles like a dragster.. it is..

i would think that the front of the crank broke for one of several reasons...  usually because somebody installed the damper with a hammer at some point in that cranks life.. or removed the damper with a hammer like i have seen at engine core suppliers... but thats the previous owner..

setting the timing...   this could be an issue.. as there are several timing mark locations on various dampers..   could have a damper mark at 12 o clock or at 2 o clock... both with the crank at TDC...

this is a 2 o clock position mark damper and pointer...   note that the keyway is at 2 o clock also..   that with these images.. you may also note that the 3 pulley bolts also are in the same position...  as the pulley bolts and the keyway always line up.

8Inchtimingmarks

this shows the difference between 12 o clock and 2 o clock dampers.. both have the keyway lined up properly..

Chevybalancermarks

can you supply more info on fuel system carb type and ignition type...  

billsstroker
Posted: 02/10/13 08:40 AM

Not sure on the cam specs, never got that info from previous owner. Carb 1405 edelbrock, hei dist. Here is some additonal specs bore4.030 stroke3.800 dart world 67cc heads valves194/150 cylinder volume48.471 total cid 387.769. Thats all the the owner told me. I believe the crank my have gotten fractured from the abuse of transfer case. I drove nicely for three years, one day at start up made rod nock noise. The timing gear from some pics i took prior to mechanic. Shows a +4 inline with keyway, havent pulled cover yet to see if mech put it back there, or another spot. Can this lower timing gear have two keyways? Gonna be wet out in driveway today rain/snow possibly. Going to take valve cover off and watch my valves as i bring it to assumed tdc. 175/180 compression on all cylinders. Thanks for your response, going out to get p.o. again Confused  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/10/13 11:56 AM

3Keycranksprocketalignm

some crank sprockets have 1 keyway.. some have 3 keyways... there are some that have 9...  

billsstroker
Posted: 02/10/13 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info with the pics very helpful. Didnt get into timing cover,fixxed partially. Went over my tdc found 0 backed it up to about 6 degrees on balancer. Pulled cap pointing at #6 Mad So i got out a crow bar and flaslight,turned oil pump shaft to about 3 oclock and installed distributor, fired. I took valve cover off to check tdc#1, i thought both intake and exaust valves should be closed on compression stroke? Need to fine tune tomorrow  Grin if i cant fine tune, going into timing cover.  Thanks for the help, looking forward to passing it on to others. Wink  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/10/13 07:06 PM

When #1 is at tdc compression stroke, #6 is tdc on exhaust stroke. The crank turns twice to one rotation of the cam. Both valves have to be closed to get compression otherwise air is flowing in or out.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

billsstroker
Posted: 02/11/13 01:55 PM

So i should have both intake and exhaust closed when on compression stroke #1 cylinder? # 6 both should be open? So if this is correct, i need to hand crank engine over until i have both valve closed on #1 and it should be just before tdc. Distributor should be pointing at # 1 on the block, not at # 1 on the cap. I will need to pull distributer up and turn to match to # 1? I sure appreciate all the help, im no dummie normally, this is a real test of my patience and knowledge. Went to mechanic today to complain he said it has to be something simple, what the *** simple enough he should be able too fix quick. Been paid fairly i think, could of had complete rebuild for the amount 1600$. Said that my broken crank should not of stretched my double roller chain?  Can you also assist me with the proper way to put a few pics on here? Thanks to all.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/11/13 02:04 PM

idrivejunk (72.204.123.247)
Addict | Posts: 4065 | Joined: 12/09 Posted: 05/20/11
04:08 AM

Heres what I do:

Upload the pics/vids to a free hosting site (I use photobucket.com) them cut n paste the IMG code here. Doesn't work in the quick reply box, so use "Post Reply" or "Reply to thread".

Heres a cut-n-paste on the subject:

"How To Post A Picture".

mpayne
Administrator

Here are easy and clear instructions on how to post a picture on this forum.

1. Since we don't support direct image uploads to our forums, you must upload your images somewhere else and link them to our forums. Don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds. I recommend using Photobucket as your image upload host.

2. Once you have created an account with a picture uploading website, it is time to upload your pictures and then copy each images IMG code and paste it into the thread where you want the image to show. I suggest you use reply and not quick reply, to post pics.

3. All that is left to do is preview your code, to make sure your image works and you're done. Just hit "post" and it will show up instantly.

One thing I forgot to mention, is if you create a readers ride account and upload your pictures there you can also link pictures. It's done a little differently. Right click and view the image. Once you have done so copy the url bar text and click on the . Paste your url text and your done.

Recommend Width is 640 pixels

Hope this makes it a bit easier for readers to post pics
thanks mpayne

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/8751837/the-general-discussion/how-do-i-post-pictures-and-video-in-the-threads/#ixzz2Kcv3dSyD

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

billsstroker
Posted: 02/11/13 02:13 PM

Tuffnuff appreciate it. I have to put some pic up here of my broken crank. And get a few of my 5200# pile of metal on 33s.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/11/13 03:11 PM

if i had a broken crank, i would not re-use the timing chain set.      the easiest way to find the firing posistion for number 1 is, pull the sparkplug & have somebody bump the motor over while your finger is over the hole.    then line up your timing mark on the balancer/pointer, with a little advance.    heres a video on setting timing.   might help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGU7mTwsZc

4 degrees advanced on the timing chain gears should move your powerband down lower.    sounds like you have good compression.    im guessing your lack of power is fuel or timing related?    maybe a vacuum leak?  

billsstroker
Posted: 02/11/13 07:45 PM

Randy Watson,Watson automotive in omaha nebraska. Yeah he is the brilliant,certified auto mechanic that did the restore for me.  Mad A freind of mine,i believe he might know more then my mechanic,he mention the chain to me, i didn't  think about it til he made me aware. I my self not being certified in this field would have found tdc, made sure timing marks lined up even pull dist cap to confirm that when it all went back in it was going to function like prior crank breakage. Im not sure if thats required by a guy whos getn paid well didnt have a tight budget, *** i believe i could of had better results doind it out of my one car garage, its alittle intimidateing, to many variances not a trained mechanic but next time im going to save myself the labor cost and buy top of the line items. He gives the actual certified and official highly paid mechanical gods a bad name. Frown  

billsstroker
Posted: 02/11/13 08:32 PM

Red neck joe thanks watched msd techs explained well, going out tomorrow after work and gonna get this done. Im afraid i could be damaging something else running like it is. Rough and plugs are carboned up 3 rd set in two weeks one set of ac delco r 44 t two set accel u groove. Somethings gotta give. Thanks again  

skyeking
Posted: 02/12/13 12:11 AM

Hi there,
By rule of thumb your comp and fuel is incorrect
for the plugs.
 I have used NGK 5s out here because the delcos are
hard to get wany sort of varirty.
Suggest that you do a cross reference as it is a
different Ball game out here. All the best..  
skyeking

billsstroker
Posted: 02/12/13 06:20 AM

Delco's were only a test to see if my other plugs weren't  performing properly. But will check into ngk 5s. First im going for a good tdc and getr timed,then will chase the new plugs. In my colder climate,Nebraska, is that plug a hotter plug or cooler than the accell or delco? I contacted dart they gave me another plug# but could not find the brand, 67cc head. But not knowing much about the engine specs went with a mild plug. I bumped up the spark with a hei coil for a corvett of the same era and newer ign modual. Runs good on 91 octane,didn't notice any h.p. loss but there again it is street driven daily about a half hour to and fro afew other trips but nothing for over 100 miles. Thanks skyeking. Tell me more before you go. Didnt i read in a nother forum here that you have a terminal problem with your health? Sorry to hear that any wisdom will be lost for ever. Thanks again. Going to work then out to my beast,will get back later with smiles hopfully.  

skyeking
Posted: 02/12/13 04:15 PM

Hi there,
 I have used mostly NGK5s in 4 different SBCs with comp between
 8/1 to 10/1 cars and 4 ton trucks. long life mandatory.
   Long trips with good compression You can use 6s with no problems
 Do not use 6s for shopping trolleys...  All the best..  
skyeking

12 Last
TO TOP