Item Posts    Sort Order

stroker motor in a 55

JTH55
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/20/13 08:15 AM

any body have any experience putting a sbc with a stroker pan on it in a 55 chevy car. what sort of clearance issues might i expect.think it is a moroso 7 qt not sure what application it is,came with the motor.gonna see if there is a parts # on it some where to help out.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 01/21/13 09:39 AM

You should be able to put that deep sump pan right into your 55, most small block pans will fit right in. with the deep end of the sump in the same location as the stocker it will fit. Depending on how much deeper the pan is you may have to watch ground clearance when it is set in depending on how much deeper it is.  

JTH55
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/21/13 03:51 PM

thanx zman I was hoping someone would say that.car has 2"drop spindles so height may be a concern,headers are close.  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/21/13 04:25 PM

You shouldn't have any problems as long as someone didn't run power steering lines from a rack and pinion across the front parts of the K-member. But you can move them if they are in the way.
  I ran a (8 Quart Milidon Drag Race Oil Pan) on my '68 Camaro. Never had a problem in that area. The only problem I couldn't run a 2 quart truck oil filter. The headers hit the oil filter. So I ran a remote dual filter.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/21/13 04:39 PM

It's been a long time since I ran a 55, which is one of my favorite cars, but I did run some bigger pans on some of mine. If I remember right the 55 only has the tie rod under the pan so it should not be a big problem as the most of the bigger pans put the extra oil in the rear sump.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

JTH55
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/21/13 08:56 PM

yea that's reassuring just trying to not find out these problems during install.the amazing thing about the 55 chevy is that it weighs virtually the same as a 63 vette givin same motor and tranny.57 and 58 chevys much heavier.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/22/13 04:44 PM

If I remember right, and it has been a long time, the 55 Chevy V8 with standard trans ready to run with gas, oil, water and nothing stripped out came in at about 3200 lbs. Compared to today's porkers where little 4 cyl weak sisters weigh that much that is pretty impressive.  

JTH55
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/23/13 05:41 PM

yep your all over the weight dave.iam gonna foot brake this car on 8.5" slicks at the track this year a couple of times with the 421 I have talked about on this forum.with the 411 rear gears and 3000 stall gonna have a go with it. just a bucket list thing nothing serious.iam going to clay the heads to check ptv clearance so my question is given the same pistons/cam/rockers.how do u think that changing from AFR heads to iron eagles will affect the ptv clearance if any from the previous combo(both heads are 64cc and not milled down)just wondering like I said gonna check it for final assembly.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/23/13 06:20 PM

My memory is not what it used to be. I can still remember some of the ETs my cars ran from long ago but my wedding anniversary I forget. Grin
I think Bob, Pepsi1, ran a 55 at one time too as did Tuff.
I don't see the heads making that much difference in piston to valve clearance but it never hurts to check and it is not that hard to do.

Good luck with the car, that sure brings back some memories of racing a 55 Chevy. I ran a several of them and one 57.
Those were great cars, wish they made them today.
Show us some pictures and send us some track times.
Post it in the drag racing section that part needs some posts.

Dave  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/23/13 06:59 PM

Icon QuoteJTH55:
yep your all over the weight dave.iam gonna foot brake this car on 8.5" slicks at the track this year a couple of times with the 421 I have talked about on this forum.with the 411 rear gears and 3000 stall gonna have a go with it. just a bucket list thing nothing serious.iam going to clay the heads to check ptv clearance so my question is given the same pistons/cam/rockers.how do u think that changing from AFR heads to iron eagles will affect the ptv clearance if any from the previous combo(both heads are 64cc and not milled down)just wondering like I said gonna check it for final assembly.

Nothing serious Hah.
   I need some seat time...LOL... Want some help breaking it in?  That sounds like a nice package. It should be fun to drive, a little torque, and little tires. Thats really what we did back in the day. Even running a 4 Gear. Just skate it out as we said... Cool

Bob

JTH55 How many engines do you have?  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/23/13 07:35 PM

JTH55
  Thats whats so nice about todays forums. We all have info we can share.  I sold my '68 Camaro to a guy that has a 55. He's too big to fit in the Camaro height wise, so I'm going to drive it this coming summer.
  Even the Camaro with a Big Block in it had plenty of room around the pan. Once the engine is in, I pulled the Milodon pan off (8 Quarts in the Pan) and it was kicked out for ground clearance. (I don't like smashed oil pans). No problem with a starter or long tube headers. I did install a remote (2) filter oil filter set-up. I like to run a 2 Quart Truck Oil Filter, but its too long and doesn't clear the header. So the whole wet sump system has approx 11 Quarts of oil in it. I do use an oil accumulater to prime the oil system. The Camaro had a stock front end.

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/23/13 08:16 PM

JTH55

Valve to Piston Clearance is a minimum of .080"/.100" on Steel Rod engine only. There are other Clearances to consider also.

Valve to piston Clearance is a minimum of .100"/.120" on Aluminum Rod engine only.
There are other Clearances to consider alao.

Watch the Piston Top to Head. min. 050" Steel Rod Engine only

Piston to Spark Plug. min. .050" Steel Rod Engine Only

There are other Variables that can affect those clearances.

Bob  

JTH55
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/23/13 08:26 PM

just the 2 right now bob.the 406 u specked the cam for and the 421 I stole just before x-mas that is on the engine stand now.i have built several sbc engines in the past that ran pretty good for what they were but never a stroker.that is where all the questions are coming from.consulting with experts on here is a real plus for us shade tree guys cant thank u enough for the help and patience.soon as the weather here in central il warms up a little I will post some picks.what is your opinion on the vr1 racing oil.thanx again jerry  

bradstuart2303
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/04/14 06:51 AM

Fuel saver technology is found on several Chevy models such as six-speed transmission, direct injection, Variable Valve Timing, Active Fuel Management and more. Several models on the Chevy lineup has been modified and fitted with the mpgs in mind. From XFE and Eco models to the hybrid and electric vehicles available at McLoughlin Chevrolet, you’ll be able to find the best vehicle that fits your lifestyle. That means it’s ready for America’s favorite pastime: exploring the open road.keep it up....  

TO TOP