Item Posts    Sort Order

Lets Get Some Action In The Drag Racing Section

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/23/13 06:18 PM

Dave:

Dave:
I don't know it's 4 degrees up here. Is that good for Drag Racing...LOL...Not much snow at E-Town...

This is when I envy you guys where it's warm. It's 4* here. Its really not bad, there isn't a 25MPH wind behind it.
  I'm wondering if JPatt is rebuilding his car or looking for another one. I don't know where he lives, but I told him Joe does Tig Welding. But haven't heard from him since before the Holidays.

If I was living where its warm I'd have a car, if I couldn't drive it I'd find someone. Atleast I could tune it. That 8.5" is going to be a big class. I don't know about the 1/8th mile?

Dave:
You brought up a good point about tire spec's. I have a set of M&H wrinkle walls, (Not the Pie Crust ones) the spec. on the tire the spec. is 11.5" wide X 32" tall X 15" wheel. In reality it measures 14" wide X 33" center tire bulge X 15" wheel. When the tire grows there's less contact area. Do you know what spec they would go by when running a class that says 8.5" tires?
  Your Beretta had 16" tires? In reality how much tire patch was there? Then it grows and takes rear gear ratio away....
  Back when I was running the cars a lot, I never saw a tech guy measure the width of a tire. I guess there's a min./max. width for the rim size?
  (Rich) the guy that bought my Camaro. Called me, he decided to take an early retirement. He wants to get the 55 and the Camaro ready for the first test and tune at Great Meadows.  He bought a new 830 B/G HiPo Carb for the Camaro. He said he just put carb on out of the box the engine fired up, and he said it sounds really snotty. He said Now he can't wait to get back to it. The 750 is about 38 years old. It's time!..You think...LOL... He was talking about putting a Roller cam and Alumimum heads on it. I may have a nice summer ahead.
  He sounds really up also. He had 38 years in with the Borough of Brooklyn. He won't be 60. Dave: The Camaro is built to my advandage he can't fit in it. He's 6'4". All that would have to be done is cut the Roll Cage and install a Fueler Cage. Then move everything back and adjust it...
  The 55 Chevy is really meant for him. He picked up a '94 Z28 for his son. When he came home from Afganistan. His buddy that bought my ChevyII hasn't done anything yet. I know I should have put this on a PM but it's all Drag Racing Related. I will PM you about that other situation...Getting interesting?

Bob  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/24/13 12:12 AM

Bob, that tire is REALLY Short 26" tall and they use a 10" wide rim and some look to be 12 to me But they say Not. need to start locating a body. Made a math mistake the other day and freaked out some Guys But they will get over it.  in a 79 or earlier car a small block with 2 turbos under 360" and some other Weight Brakes can be 2900lbs. A BB with the same but 1 turbo can be 3000lbs and it looks like most all can be made to Hook with the rules on the Chassis. I hate to give 100 lbs to someone but I have been Looking at a 2002 Camaro body for $900.But then I also Found a really Nice 79 Le mans G-body for 400 bucks and to me that is a 4-link with built in wish bone Locator.   we'll see.  If you all would look on the Yellow Bullet site "drag racing" forum I had Started a thread Titled 8.5?????? on Pages 5&6 some of the Guys put in Links to there car Builds, Just Click on those and It all comes Clear (for me anyway) I know what engine I want, Initaled MM/with a turbo. Tuff you got to get on there and look, if you still can't I will send you the links I am talking about.let me know  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/24/13 04:24 AM

the 4th gen f-bodies are tight to work on.     a rear located distributer engine, would put the distributer under the winshield.     Dave, didnt you own a 4th gen?
   thought i read there was a weight break for the older cars too?  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/24/13 05:54 AM

Joe it is a 100lb. break for 79 and older. A Starfire GT(monza) is sitting as It was when I sold it just down the Street but the Guy that I traded stuff around for it Passed away Christmas 2 years ago and I have not been able to contact anyone Though Last week I left a note on the Front Door.(It Dissapered) but at 97" wheel base I an not sure about Launch,Its a torque Arm rear Susp.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/24/13 12:52 PM

Icon Quoteredneckjoe69:
the 4th gen f-bodies are tight to work on.     a rear located distributer engine, would put the distributer under the winshield.     Dave, didnt you own a 4th gen?
   thought i read there was a weight break for the older cars too?

I did have a 4th Gen street car which had some mods. Cam, valves, porting, headers. It ran 8.57 86mph in the 1/8th.
They are tough to work on especially that goofy distributor in the front/bottom of the engine.
If you put an early engine in there the distributor WOULD be well under the cowl.
It would probably be best to run one of those front mounted aftermarket distributors on one of them. Those cars have a huge torque arm that goes from the rear to a mount near the trans. They made it a mount that pulls on a piece of rubber and it tears apart if you have any traction. A really dumb idea.
There is an aftermarket torque arm available that does a much better job. I never had any wheel hop with that setup and it did hook OK on drag radials but I was only dealing with maybe 325-350hp and a stock converter.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Dave632
Posted: 01/24/13 12:52 PM

A 2002 for only 900 sounds pretty good. They only have the weak 7.5 rear in them so that would surely have to go.  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/24/13 02:13 PM

way ahead of you Guys, I have a coil set up from an LS engine 8 seperate Coils,and would use a crank trigger wheel Regardless of the Body Style. and when using a F**d 9" I would do the Upper A arm Brackets to mount the rear housing (like Strange or something) and or a Torque Arm Made from 2x4 tubing, either one will be Connected with tubular Shaft's and Heims on the Ends. did any of you Check the links I spoke of,do so and you can see it's pretty liberal  

68scott385
Posted: 01/24/13 05:03 PM

Links to Skylark's thread @ YB and another thread over there that's for the 8.5" racing class.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541978

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204868  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/24/13 05:27 PM

i made an adjustable mount for my torque arm.    its way stronger then the factory, and its not hooked to the tranny.    its part of the crossmember.

from what i understand, the torque arm actually tries to lift up when you hit the gas, and the lower control arms push the car forward.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/24/13 05:32 PM

Icon Quote76Skylark:
Bob, that tire is REALLY Short 26" tall and they use a 10" wide rim and some look to be 12 to me But they say Not. need to start locating a body. Made a math mistake the other day and freaked out some Guys But they will get over it.  in a 79 or earlier car a small block with 2 turbos under 360" and some other Weight Brakes can be 2900lbs. A BB with the same but 1 turbo can be 3000lbs and it looks like most all can be made to Hook with the rules on the Chassis. I hate to give 100 lbs to someone but I have been Looking at a 2002 Camaro body for $900.But then I also Found a really Nice 79 Le mans G-body for 400 bucks and to me that is a 4-link with built in wish bone Locator.   we'll see.  If you all would look on the Yellow Bullet site "drag racing" forum I had Started a thread Titled 8.5?????? on Pages 5&6 some of the Guys put in Links to there car Builds, Just Click on those and It all comes Clear (for me anyway) I know what engine I want, Initaled MM/with a turbo. Tuff you got to get on there and look, if you still can't I will send you the links I am talking about.let me know

Lark, I still get the same old same old,,,,,

vBulletin Message
Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

Sure, send the links.,. it will save me going on another fruitless fishing expedition.,. had enough of those and it still looks like YB doesn't want any new members.,.
and I still can't find your thread 8.5????

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

76Skylark
Posted: 01/24/13 05:51 PM

Thank you 68Scott, I didn't think of that.  when you click on the 1st link that is the one I started, on the 5&6 pg. Dj Reid with the 68 camaro put in a link of his car build and the other is the 74 silver Camaro. the third is a honda s2000 that is scary fast. the other link Scott put up is a ongoing thread that has a lot of general discussion but some Interesting stuff also.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/24/13 05:56 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Dave:

Dave:
I don't know it's 4 degrees up here. Is that good for Drag Racing...LOL...Not much snow at E-Town...

This is when I envy you guys where it's warm. It's 4* here. Its really not bad, there isn't a 25MPH wind behind it.
  I'm wondering if JPatt is rebuilding his car or looking for another one. I don't know where he lives, but I told him Joe does Tig Welding. But haven't heard from him since before the Holidays.

If I was living where its warm I'd have a car, if I couldn't drive it I'd find someone. Atleast I could tune it. That 8.5" is going to be a big class. I don't know about the 1/8th mile?

Dave:
You brought up a good point about tire spec's. I have a set of M&H wrinkle walls, (Not the Pie Crust ones) the spec. on the tire the spec. is 11.5" wide X 32" tall X 15" wheel. In reality it measures 14" wide X 33" center tire bulge X 15" wheel. When the tire grows there's less contact area. Do you know what spec they would go by when running a class that says 8.5" tires?
  Your Beretta had 16" tires? In reality how much tire patch was there? Then it grows and takes rear gear ratio away....
  Back when I was running the cars a lot, I never saw a tech guy measure the width of a tire. I guess there's a min./max. width for the rim size?
  (Rich) the guy that bought my Camaro. Called me, he decided to take an early retirement. He wants to get the 55 and the Camaro ready for the first test and tune at Great Meadows.  He bought a new 830 B/G HiPo Carb for the Camaro. He said he just put carb on out of the box the engine fired up, and he said it sounds really snotty. He said Now he can't wait to get back to it. The 750 is about 38 years old. It's time!..You think...LOL... He was talking about putting a Roller cam and Alumimum heads on it. I may have a nice summer ahead.
  He sounds really up also. He had 38 years in with the Borough of Brooklyn. He won't be 60. Dave: The Camaro is built to my advandage he can't fit in it. He's 6'4". All that would have to be done is cut the Roll Cage and install a Fueler Cage. Then move everything back and adjust it...
  The 55 Chevy is really meant for him. He picked up a '94 Z28 for his son. When he came home from Afganistan. His buddy that bought my ChevyII hasn't done anything yet. I know I should have put this on a PM but it's all Drag Racing Related. I will PM you about that other situation...Getting interesting?

Bob

4 degrees, ouch.
Here in Tennessee we are having a much colder winter than last year.
Last week we hit a low of 22 which is the coldest I have seen it here since I moved from Fla.
Normally it is in the 30s and 40s most of the time although it did hit some 60s a little while ago. Right now I think it is about 34 at 8PM.
Hopefully you will get to run that 55. Those cars bring some old racing memories back to me.
Like you said I never saw any checks on tire size. The Beretta actually had 17" tires on it. They were 17x33.5 and that was the biggest I could get under the wheel well of that car. I had to make a few modifications to the body to get those in there. Those tires grew a lot by the time I hit the traps at the end of the track. There were no restrictions in the class I ran. At times it seemed like they were about 6" wide as I was skating all over the place.  

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/24/13 06:49 PM

4*?!? Damn! I though I was gonna turn into a snowman when it 32 in socal lol!  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/24/13 07:07 PM

Icon Quote68scott385:
Links to Skylark's thread @ YB and another thread over there that's for the 8.5" racing class.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541978

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204868

Thanks for the quick links Scott.,. that did the trick to get me in the back door of YB.

Here is a long Youtube vid of 8.5 outlaws running the 1/8

click on link

http://youtu.be/CBnOAHp1rWg

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/25/13 12:40 AM

found some rules for our closest track.   the smallblock stick shift class looks like fun.   kinda wish i had a manual now.    i met a guy who runs a mustang down there.   were already talking about riding down there together in a few weeks for a grudge race.    said hes running mid to low 8s in the 1/8.

http://showtimedragstrip.us/rules.html  

TO TOP