123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lets Get Some Action In The Drag Racing Section

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/19/13 10:20 AM

Wow is this section dead.
I posted here in 2010 and there have only been 2 posts since.
It seems like there are only guys coming on this site who want to make 500 hp out of their 350 with a 200 dollar budget. In other words pipe dreamers.
Now we have some interest in the 8.5 street class which is trying to keep the street in the picture a little more. The rule makers will have to keep a tight fist on the rules or it will become another Pro Street class.
Full mufflers with noise limits, full upholstery, limited fiberglass parts, real glass in the windows, and mostly stock suspension. Concessions will have to be made for safety of course. I think the weights should be quite a bit higher for these cars to allow some of the newer cars to compete. It is hard to get a 90 Camaro down to 3000 lbs. and many other cars for that matter. Keep the weights high so that guys are not spending a lot of money trying to get the cars light.
Remember a new Camaro is almost 4000 lbs. it is a porker as far as weight goes.
I was around when Pro Street started and these were actually cars that could be driven on the street. I thought it was a great idea and started to build a car for that class. Now it has turned into a funny car class with doors. The last time I went to one of those so called street car races that class was totally out of control as far as calling it STREET in any way. Even the 10.5 class was going to full tube chassis cars.
I am all for a heads up drag class that keeps a lot of street in the mix.

Dave Wink  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/19/13 01:04 PM

im guilty of being a slacker Dave.    i do find this class interesting, & its 1/8 mile too!    i wonder if they run it down here at sunshine/showtime?  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/19/13 01:25 PM

I think I am going to make a comitment to a drag car though the return for Investment is almost Nil, I agree with the weight being a factor tho I have found an 02 Camaro for 900 bucks and If nothin else I do like to Look Good.by the Cali rules a 79 or earlier gets a 100# break and it's not a lot but, it is.  the thing is a small block that will be Competitive doesn't have a single GM part on it, NOTHIN. and that is a shame. A BB can get by with a GM block but all else is aftermarket. and I have Most of that but it needs some pistons, and altho a turbo will put the Power over 1000hp I really need some Excellent Heads 990's will do, but not.  so a 79 G-Body may be the ticket as early Camaro's cost too much,when I can get more rules for the South east I will make a decision, a good trans is Paramount and I would row a lenco they are twice a what a good Auto cost.I know I can Make Money on a round track so this is tough. Or is it TuffEnuff.Lol  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/19/13 02:14 PM

Lark,
If I recall, you have a set of 049 or 781 oval port, 113cc open chamber heads.
These heads only have 2.06"/1.77" valves.,. if you install the larger 2.19"/1.88" valves along with porting/port matching, you might have a fighting chance.
I stopped racing many years ago and became a spectator instead. Racing is very time consuming and expensive.,. I had many years of "fun" in the early days, when you could tell the make and model of car from a distance.
Now, that is only a distant memory.
I'm glad to see that heads up door slammers are coming back.,. that is where racing really began.
I wish you the best of luck with your BB.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632
Posted: 01/19/13 06:00 PM

I used to be able to tell a car by looking at one little part of it.
Now with the ugly little cars we have now you would have to show me the title for me to tell the brand.
There is no return with a drag car all you can do is keep your investment to a minimum loss.
I would suggest trying to find a car with a cage and decent rear in it already.
You can almost never even come close to building a car for the cost of a used one.
The Beretta I had cost me 18,000 for the roller. That car new was 60,000 back in 1990 just for the roller. Now those cars are well over 100 grand just for a roller.
If I remember right the rules of the class do not allow Lenco trans only OEM type automatics.
If you are trying to get into the 5s in the 1/8th with a stock bodied car you are going to need a power adder. My Camaro with a 632 in it only ran 5.81 in the 1/8th on motor and it was at 3000 lbs. With a 454 you will have a tough time getting into the mid 6s.
Joe this might be a fun class for you to run in too if you have the time and the bucks to spend. I would think Sunshine or Bradenton will pick up on a class like this if it becomes popular. Are they still running the heads up madness there?  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/19/13 06:41 PM

Seeable drag racing action, sir- click for ancient test n tune video. Yep I still drive that heap.

Th Gpslugfest  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Posted: 01/19/13 06:58 PM

And NO Wheelie Bars..  

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/19/13 07:12 PM

Thats right! I figured that would be good for a laugh. The 454SS in the first race was a wheel-hopper, that was funny.  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Posted: 01/19/13 07:20 PM

Dave you are right about the Manual trans . most of these guys are using Smallblocks With 23degree heads and the like and of course Blowers or turbo's all High end stuff. It is amazing though and a turbo is in the works I have one now but I need a bigger one, A 76mm is allowed so that is where I am Heading, Damon says N20 cars just can't get it done,I was looking at Tim Lynch's corvette yesterday and TWO T-6 frame turbos sure Fill up the Space in front of the engine,They are sending it to Qatar monday for the race there.Your 5.81 would be Competitive today and by now you would have it going faster than that.and be legal I think  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/19/13 07:22 PM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
Thats right! I figured that would be good for a laugh. The 454SS in the first race was a wheel-hopper, that was funny.

Bottom line Matt you won! and that is always good for a laugh.  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/19/13 07:32 PM

Tuff if you were only closer I would send you the 049's I have 3 990's but no two are alike all damaged some where. I already have a rectangle port Dart Intake for my Tall deck block so I will keep looking, I need some thing that can flow over 320-340cfm, do people still put the carb in a box, have access to one from a twin turbo SB Boat motor,most it seems just do the Blow through thing.  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/19/13 08:47 PM

Dave632:
Sorry NO BIG BLOCK parts, it all went when I sold the Camaro...
  I have a nice 355 Roller Engine. Cams and Heads are still there Dave and John. To heavy to carry I guess?.... Don't know what else is there? I have a Super T-10 thats Pro-Shifted the complete set-up.   Who has the car? Ect, ect. I'm sure some one could drive it "JOE"!!!!

Bob  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/20/13 07:35 AM

I watched a vidieo last night  of a Monza that was running Low 9's Not sure of the 1/8 conversion factor but that is High 5's i think,it looked very well behaved off the line,only picked up the wheels on the initial hit. Bob if you see a 770 area code Calling your cell today Answer it. john.  

DamonR
Posted: 01/20/13 02:07 PM

Not sure which Damon, but my car has a sb/nos combo.  My junkbox 20yr old hydraulic roller engine ran 5.79@121 on a small plate unit at 2950lbs on the 8.5.  It ran 6.40's on the motor.

Now I have a solid roller 396 sb with a fogger and dominator and the car will be 2850.  It will now have more power n/a than my old engine made on nitrous.

I like centrifugal superchargers, but refuse to have a car that weighs 3200+lbs

When I get the money. the new engine will get a set of raised runner symmetrical port heads, a sheetmetal intake and two carbs.  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/20/13 03:05 PM

Sorry I did mean you I thought you Said" How to go Slow" on YB but may have that confused. well that info makes me feel better. what Block are you using? I know the Gm block can take some abuse *** I would think a Little M would be needed,and really I hope not. I might be looking at this all wrong, Bob has a great engine and by your rules it Can go lighter Still( under 360ci)If all that is true I may not need a BB.  

123 Last
TO TOP