Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

ZERO DECK

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/16/13 08:16 AM

Just know what i read. Never done it before. Zero Deck is when the piston and top of the block are perfectly even. Then you got the head gasket. Maybe 0,015. Probably metal material. Then u got the head. Some guys shave the heads.I guess to bring em closer to the piston for more compression. Gotta few questions here"    `Would Zero Deck always be the best way to go for higher compression? How do you know what the head to deck clearance is?  I'm guessin that with too much compression your probably gonna have problems running on pump gas. What determines 9-1 10-1 12-1 compression. Is it the piston type and rings or? Is the cam and heads a determining factor here also? Just tryin to put the puzzle together in my mind.  Thanks Stan in NE Pa. (currently in Honduras) Cool  Cool  Cool  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/16/13 10:30 AM

Many things affect compression ratio.

The deck clearance, chamber volume in the head, shape of the piston top (dome, dish, flat, number and size of valve reliefs), and head gasket thickness.

The block deck is only so thick, cutting it too much will cause it to get weak, possibly distort and lose seal.

To find the deck clearance you have to measure it, like with a depth gauge. You can also find the deck volume by using a graduated cylinder and a low viscous fluid. Don't get hung up on that now.

Head gasket manufacturers advertise the crushed thickness of their gaskets. That is the head to deck clearance. The piston to head clearance adds head gasket thicness to piston depth to get what is called squench area.

The cam has nothing to do with static compression but plays a big role in dynamic compression.

Confused yet?  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/16/13 10:33 AM

Here's a couple links to either clear the confusion or make it worse.

http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

Have fun.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

TO TOP