123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

West Coast Outlaw 8.5 Rules

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/08/13 03:53 PM

and now for something ive been thinkin about a long time... econo eliminator... for v-8 push rod motors only. i used to think 9 inch stock eliminator slicks, now im thinkin 26 x 8.5 rear tire instead. but the gist is econo!! so pounds per cube format. wet sump, small block only, iron heads [no porting] and blocks only, torque converter/planetary trans with 3-speeds max only, bigger cubes? naturally aspirated only [may use dual carbs], SMALLER CUBES with.... single carb, pusher single stage N20 plate system, or blow through spec t-61 garret turbo or SMALL centrifigal blower, or low helix 6-71 blower [25 percent max over drive] with dual carbs. NO nitro, big blowers, lenco type trans or clutch. can use lexan windows, fiberglass front clip replacement. sub frame connectors ok. must use oem front/rear suspension as per delivered with the car. all aplicable nhra saftey equipment, including roll cage. may use bolt on traction aids. gas or alky or both ok, but its econo, so no heat exchanger/after cooler, but may use water/methanol injector intercooler. no interior required. carbs only,no fuel injection. what are your thoughts/suggestions?  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/09/13 10:29 AM

I gave the Class a hard look and got excited about it but reality set in at about the 25,000 dollar mark. I am 62 years old and think I could have something for them,  that is All but the Money. the last race here this year the 'Ol Boy ran steady 4.80's @ 3200+ pounds and that is toten the Mail, I do like the weight per cubes rule also but Tim Rigby said he didn't think Guys like pulling down the engine after a race,heck we had to do that almost every week as we won a lot. so round track people don't mind so much. the way I see it is if you want the Money get out your Tools! P.S. the Safty rules are NHRA 25.1-25.3 (or 7.50sec.) but there is some Question regarding 1/4 mile vs.1/8 mile speed vs.weight,I see it requiring a chrome Moly Cage,but Most are not. what part of the world do you live in dond1965?  

76Skylark
Posted: 12/09/13 10:29 AM

I gave the Class a hard look and got excited about it but reality set in at about the 25,000 dollar mark. I am 62 years old and think I could have something for them,  that is All but the Money. the last race here this year the 'Ol Boy ran steady 4.80's @ 3200+ pounds and that is toten the Mail, I do like the weight per cubes rule also but Tim Rigby said he didn't think Guys like pulling down the engine after a race,heck we had to do that almost every week as we won a lot. so round track people don't mind so much. the way I see it is if you want the Money get out your Tools! P.S. the Safty rules are NHRA 25.1-25.3 (or 7.50sec.) but there is some Question regarding 1/4 mile vs.1/8 mile speed vs.weight,I see it requiring a chrome Moly Cage,but Most are not. what part of the world do you live in dond1965?  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/09/13 02:08 PM

I can appreciate having a low cost heads up drag racing class.
Having raced in the Pro Mod division at my local track costs are surely a big factor. Even at the local level guy were coming in with tractor trailer rigs and well over 100K race cars. I was able to compete with a car of about 50K, which is still ridiculous in cost to most. I ran it to be consistent no to be the low qualifier which I never was but I usually made the top 4.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/09/13 02:38 PM

hey bros p-n-g pumping devices can eliminate engine tear down, but true the intake ports will have to be inspected for signs of porting, which would be against the rules, but only the winner would have to remove the intake manifold, and down the line if he/she is cheating until a non cheater is claimed the winner. if i told you i live in washington dc, the west coast, and hell all at the same time, and you needed an explanation, im afraid i wouldnt be able to offer you one without endangering my freedom and exposing myself to the mental health proffesionals [ note i did NOT refer to them as experts, that is their professing/profession?] that are trying to lock me up and through away the key!!! and no im not trying to piss you off, insult your intelligence, or be evasive!! ever watch the a-team? mad dog here!! by the way i did NOT invent the above response or the facts it pertains to, i am merely subjected to those facts and can not escape them, for others define my life, like a dog that eats scraps, but does not sit at the table. my life has NEVER been what I make of it, and never will be. so hows that for a crazy answer you didnt ask for? do you see now?!?!.... i love it when a plan comes together!! [an a-team quote dontcha know] someone tell MR. T to get in here, i NEED something welded!  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/09/13 04:30 PM

a few other thoughts on econo eliminator.... the need for a computer to correct weight factors based on observed performance, so 1970s pro stock nhra style is NOT reborn... if you know what i mean!!!... also its important to understand that the limited head flow capable from the heads used would require the engines, even naturally aspirated to be fairly small! but this is a good thing! low friction/high rod ratios and shorter strokes [thus lower piston speeds and reduced major thrust loading]. maybe a spec ignition with rev limits [maybe 8,000 rpm?] and possibly a required tattle-tale play back tachometer, will also help control costs, NO reving to the moon alice, not even one of these days!! then big bore blocks dont enter the picture and drive up costs! lets say for a moment no engine could be larger than 355 cubes for instance. thus the weight factoring would reflect that fact, and the naturally aspirated combos would NOT see a big spread in displacements! another thought would be that only naturally aspirated may use roller or radius tappets, thus power adder combos would be required to use flat tappets!.... and your thoughts?....  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/09/13 09:45 PM

one last thing... maybe this econo eliminator could be combined with a pre-existing sport compact class with similar performance to boost field size and pay outs?  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/10/13 12:02 AM

back to the west coat 8.5 tire drags... some cars are running 4.7-4.8 in the 1/8 mile, amazingly those are the kind of times i just heard while watching some 1974 nitro funny car footage, and we are talking cars like the chi town hustler, the black magic vega, gene snow etc, ... 8.5 tire racers, KUDOS!  amazing!!  

76Skylark
Posted: 12/10/13 12:19 PM

I  Don't Care, where you are from, what you have Done, or where you are Going.there are 12 step programs for Most Issues. to Quote A local songwriter: I'm Going Straight to Hell,  just like my Momma said. but if you run through North Georgia, give us a shout, now let Me tell you Where to ***  Let's Talk Drag Racing/ Yellow Bullet they have ongoing discussion about class rules delay box's weight and engine parts,although CHP is a Hot rodder Mag.these forums have been mostly young folks looking for Advise on there Street cars and few racers even come here,Sadly you are coming here after a large group of regulars have slowed down there Involvement,read back a couple years and you will see what I mean.Having Grown up in the South I saw Match race cars from there Inception. Super Stocks that Became A/FX that became Funny cars,But I made My living on Asphalt Round Track Cars,They Pay out LOTS More money for the Investment,1500-2000 bucks to win 25-30 times a year and less than a 100 mile tow for regular Saterday nite Shows.I would Love to Build an 8.5 Car but the Money Isn't there, Mine Or There's  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/10/13 06:32 PM

dude i was joking, now i have to tell my other personality to go to the devil... if youll please excuse me for a moment!.... back , bro i can see that newbies come here, thats why i spend so much time here... to help them!!  [im well past getting into arguments with biased, opinionated, ignorant KNOW IT ALLS] the newbies are the future, and im trying to make it easier for them!!  p.s. maybe banter like this could interest some of them!? so YOU are only interested in racing to make money? you sound like an old STREET RACER! all kidding aside, have a GREAT day... really really  

76Skylark
Posted: 12/11/13 09:53 AM

It is ALL Good,I can learn more about where someones head is at by saying things like I did, as we are online not standing around bench racing. Racing to Make Money!!! Welllll It would be nice to think I can Re-coup some Investment. Just Say No to Street Racing. this unfortunate event with Paul Walker is my example. You Got Some Money? I got some Ideas!  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/11/13 12:52 PM

i know the FEELING! race tracks are for racing, and for a good reason! there are now way too many people on earth/the streets to be screwin around street racing like we used to do along time ago in a different world with lots less people/cars on the street!  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/11/13 01:57 PM

I have surely got to agree with Skylark about the money that can be won drag racing is peanuts. I was running my Pro Mod locally and one year I won 2 events, came in runner up at least twice, and made the semis in most of the others. Won close to 4k that year but the cost to run the car that season was about twice that. That does not include the cost of the car, trailer or tow vehicles.
If you are doing it to make money, forget it.
I also will say it is something I do not regret or will ever forget and I would do it all over again if the circumstances were the same.
There are pretty much no racers coming on this site, only guys who are rebuilding their 350 for the street and trying to get 500hp with 500 dollars and no knowledge.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/11/13 02:46 PM

man are they in for a rude awakening!! i MIGHT be able to open some of their eyes and shine some light for some others though.  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/11/13 05:25 PM

funny thing.... i start talking about small displacements and low costs and some one DRAGS up an old post about big bore destrokers, and some one trys to make a point in their opinion that its cheaper to build a BIG motor, in the face of the reality that high rpm and friction wear motors out fast! funny thing indeed in a world where timing is EVERYTHING!! LOL  

123 Last
TO TOP