Item Posts    Sort Order

350 H.O. DELUXE CRATE MOTOR

TSpivey
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/13/13 06:13 PM

Upon deciding to purchase a motor for my 86 chevy truck, a vehicle left to me by my father. I researched all options and decided to purchase a crate motor with the thoughts of having reliability and dependability of the GM name.  
I decided on a 350HO deluxe crate motor.  For years had dreamed of purchasing this motor to put in the truck first owned by my father.  Thinking this would benifit me in both having my dad's truck and having a NEW motor in it.
Motor arrived 12/15/2010 and was put in truck over the christmas holiday of '10.
Adjusted the coborator as needed and truck ran well, changed oil on a reugular mantenace schedule.  

Drove the truck 13 miles to work and home. on occasion into town, but made no long hard trips on the motor... on 12/14/2012 truck started knocking on my way home from work, 12/17 in the am contacted Fred Bean (company purchased motor from) was given contact number for GM.  Immediately contacted GM and informed them of the trouble... told GM.... motor started knocking on Friday understood that motor had a warranty purchased at extra cost.  Was informed that the motor had a 2yr warranty and I was 2 days outside of that warranty (YES 2 DAYS). He informed me there was nothing that GM was willing to do, I could contact the company that I purchased the motor from and see if they were willing to do anything but GM would not be helping with any replacement or repair cost.. they washed their hands of it on the 15th.

Contacted Fred bean again was told that there was nothing they could do, that even if had called on the 14th warranty states that I would have to cover cost of new motor, send this motor back, and WAIT for fred bean and GM to work out any refund..If any....

Pulled motor out on 12/22/2012, removed oil pan. Metal shavings were found in the pan from the rod barriens. Took to motor man, he removed crank shaft, found 2 stretched rods and one turned barrien.  He called me to to take crank shaft to have it turned, upon further inspection found stamped on the crank shaft    
MADE IN MEXICO
decided it was a cheap crank shaft...Tomorrow I will be ordering Eagle rods, Eagle crank shaft and Keith black pistons.

If you plan or are thinking of ordering one of these motors .....You should know they ARE NOT using all american parts.  Had I known that it would have had a role in my decision on purchasing this brand motor...

so buyer beware!!!!!!!!

Side Note::::at present I am repairing my dad's truck, also own a 80 Camero that I drag race..but
12/31/2012 purchased a new Dodge Ram hemi, cant look at a GM product the same again...  

xFourLeaf
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/13/13 09:35 PM

At least now you can build the motor that you wanna build!  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/14/13 06:48 AM

One word Only;   OUCH!!!!!!  

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/17/13 01:59 PM

.. I thought these engines had a forged crank??? Are you sure you got the engine you thought you bought? Did you check the part and casting numbers against the info at GMPerformanceParts.com? That crank should have been better than an Eagle cast crank! A search online will bring up endless horror stories about Eagle cast cranks!

.. Was that "350HO" the 195HP, 225HP, 260HP, 290HP, 330HP, 345HP, or 355HP engine? Iron or aluminum heads?  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/17/13 03:59 PM

TSpivey One hell of a way to welcome you to CHP. I'm very sorry about your Dad also. You keep him going with you...

Man the Horror stories!!! I wonder if it's General Motors or the companies that they deal with on a day to day basis.....

Do you think the engine was used a a Drag Race , Circle Track engine, someone had a problem and things got screwed up and re-boxed and/or repackaged.

Thats one type of the 350 the engines the NASCAR guys purchase from GM for their classes, and Like Dale Jarret's driving schools use in their cars. The other being a ZZ4 type.

When you say stretched rods, and that type of destruction thats where that comes from. There are ways to get GM to help you. Write their Corporate Offices and (Keep a Lid on your feelings). Take pictures and explain your whole ordeal.   Consumer protection in some states may help. Write your Attorney General in your state first. See what they have for information for you. I can't say this enough "Document everything you have"....
  I had a problem with Circut City with a Sony Vaio Computer I purchased. The same night. I was put on hold for 1.5 hrs. I live in Mass. I had to file in the State of Maryland, where their corporate offices were, and I thought I was screwed.
  I got revenge on them, took them to small claims court. I filed a small claims suit in Maryland. I went to Maryland to fight it. Then ammended my suit for treble damages. They had a policy of 20% to rebox a computer. Just to rebox a computer. It was a scam Circut City had. When you think about 20% of $1500 thats $300.
  The unit I was sold, had already been sold and reboxed 2 times before me....Good Judges don't like to hear things like that in their courts either. They are consumers also.... He didn't give me treble damages , but gave me gas money, and tolls, and 2 nights lodging. That was 2004. Circut City is out of business now....Don't give up write letters. You will get someone that has had an experience like yours....Good Luck Mad

Bob  

skyeking
Posted: 01/17/13 05:05 PM

Hi there,
 Yes it STINKS / big time / full time & all the time.
 By the way except for a 327 and an early 283 I had 4
 cast iron cranks in trucks that grossed 4 tons to 8tons
 without extra constuctional building and they hung together.
  Some ZZ4 350s had iron cranks in earlier production...
  Hope somebody uses some form of decency in this transaction.
  The USA cannot be THAT Stuffed surely???
  Appeal to a sense of fair play without over doing it.
  All the best, Skyeking  
skyeking

skyeking
Posted: 01/17/13 05:05 PM

Hi there,
 Yes it STINKS / big time / full time & all the time.
 By the way except for a 327 and an early 283 I had 4
 cast iron cranks in trucks that grossed 4 tons to 8tons
 without extra constuctional building and they hung together.
  Some ZZ4 350s had iron cranks in earlier production...
  Hope somebody uses some form of decency in this transaction.
  The USA cannot be THAT Stuffed surely???
  Appeal to a sense of fair play without over doing it.
  All the best, Skyeking  
skyeking

pepsi1
Posted: 01/18/13 03:12 AM

+1 Buzz and +1 Skyeking. Thats the better 350. Something is wrong. I bet he got a returned engine by "Accident". The Mexicans aren't building all bad stuff.
  When I get a Hechco Mexico engine for a cam upgrade I pull the pan and check the bearings and crank, and oil pump.
 I can't agree with you more SkyeKing it "STINKS" and "SMELLS" really bad also....
I don't know why they didn't send an investigator.....

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/18/13 03:23 AM

Back in the day GM called those Target Engines. My friend had a 25th anniversary Corvette. He wanted to save the engine and install a Target Engine. We get done with this project. Fire the engine 10 PSI oil Pressure. That was it! The dealer he purchased it from contacted the GM rep. It took almost 4 months to get a live person to verify the oil pressure problem.
  We pulled the engine, now wait for the Rep to verify it coming apart. There was a shop towel wrapped around the oil pump pick up. It was done on purpose. So the shop towel wouldn't fall off. The Rep says okay put the engine back in. I said NOPE. It was run at 5500 rpm with 10 PSI oil pressure. (I know my friend tried to blow it up). The dealer ship owner called someone, and we got a brand new engine. That was 1979....We pulled the pan on that one. The Stinky part we ate the labor.... Mad

Bob  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/18/13 07:53 AM

The 350 HO has a nodular iron crank shaft not a forged one.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

TSpivey
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/19/13 11:31 AM

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. It is 330hp motor. I cant stress enough my disappointment in this whole process. I post pictures soon as i get everything back from my motor man. If this was a rebox they did a great job. The day the motor arrived the chevy guys at work we all over it and the ford guys were talkin trash. And you can only amagine what im hearing now an what can i say. I feel like i got robbed in a way. The only thing used on the motor was the power steering pump  fuel pump and the alternator, bought a new rad so i didnt have to worry about runnin the motor hot or anything. Anyway thank again.I will check back on yall soon when i have pics to post.  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/20/13 04:57 PM

Thanks Bill. It's a dam shame....I don't care whose engine it is! For them to just wash their hands of the whole thing stinks as our friend from Under the Sun said.

How else can you feel. We get screwed so much and most of us just let it slide. Thats what they expect. My story with Circut City was a pain for me but I wasn't going to let them beat me without a fight.
  I had to file a small claims suit in Maryland because their corporate head quarters were located there. (Does that suck or what)? They monitor the return window with camera's. Well the girl at the return window pushed the unit at me (it was all BOXED up). Well it fell off the counter, and hit the floor. I called the local police then. They watched the tape. It was evidence for me when I went to Maryland.
  Maybe it was a rebox or something as such. The computer I purchased was reboxed  (2) times before me. They sold it as a new unit. So Circut City had a scam going. 20% to rebox any electronic equipment. As I said $1500.00 computer was $300.00 to rebox...X's 3 = $900.00....pretty good HAH?
  Just document all the paperwork, don't loose your cool. Right the Attorney General in your state and just keep writing them. Consumer protection may help you also....See if there is a free law you can call and get info from. Fight them!

Bob  

TO TOP