Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

305 first build questions

hotrodkennyb
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/03/13 05:02 PM

im trying to understand squelch and was womdering how i go about making the mesurements and how to figure out what cc my pistons are can anyone explain the mesurement process to me and how to figure the cc of my pistons sorry if i am not verry engine savy but im trying to learn  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/03/13 08:27 PM

Icon Quotehotrodkennyb:
im trying to understand squelch and was womdering how i go about making the mesurements and how to figure out what cc my pistons are can anyone explain the mesurement process to me and how to figure the cc of my pistons sorry if i am not verry engine savy but im trying to learn

HR Kenny, IF you were using a flat top piston the Quench is the distance from the top of the piston to the flat part of the head,the area that is over the piston that is beside the recessed area that the Valves are in. now a piston can have a flat top and that will be 0 cc. if it has a pocket in the piston it is measured as a + number of cc. if it has a dome it is measured as a -.this is when you measure the Volume of Space in the chamber with the piston at top dead center and the Valves are closed,that volume measured in cc.is how you compute compression when you know the bore and stroke because the other half of the equation is how much volume there is a Bottom dead center and that volume is squeezed into the space left at top dead center,you want 40-45 thousandth of an inch space from the flat part of the piston to the flat part of the head for proper Quench. Squelch on the other hand is a audio problem that ruins listening to your fav. music when an open mike gets feedback from an amplifier. so just messin with ya but willing to help explan better if you want.  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/04/13 07:45 AM

i cant stress enough to measure the bores before you buy pistons.   years ago i bought a rebuild kit for what i was told was a 305 and it turned out to be a 267.  hopefully you dont have this issue, but thought id mention it cause your on a tight budget.   can you post casting numbers on the top, back of the block, bell housing area?  

thank you for your military service and best of luck for your son. Cool  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/04/13 11:07 AM

redneckjoe69 i looked the casting numbers up and it sid it was a 305 the nubers on the block are 14010203 and the intke i got off of another motor for it numbers are 14057053 hopefully i will be able to get the cam out tody so i can see what it is and what i got to work with i have to go buy a set of allan sockets i think they are called the pully on the harmonic balancer has 3 bolts in it tht are a alan or torx head when i get them off and the cam shaft out ill post the numbers on it lso hopefully i can find them i think this motor is stock but i cant sy for sure someone took the time to take it apart and paint it at one time but so far it seems to be stock i have to check the pistons and see if i can find some numbers on it maby that will give me some insight into what they are  

68scott385
Posted: 01/04/13 11:37 AM

I concur with the block numbers being a 305.

That balancer/damper won't just slide off, it requires a puller. It doesn't just slide back on either, it requires an installer. Most of the time you can find a puller/installer combination kit that will work on several different engine brands. Shop around, you might be able to buy the tool for the cost of renting it twice.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/04/13 12:22 PM

glad to hear its a 305.      piston just looked small in the pic to me.  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/04/13 02:09 PM

i just found the piston casting number it is 361988 i looked on the web and it told me it was a V6 piston does this sound normal the block is obviously a V8 it has 8 cylenders it goes on to say some outher numbers that i havent got a clue what they mean maby someone can explain them to me a little better

V6 229
3.8 L
3.736(IN)
94.9(MM)

CHEVY
ENGINE 1980-86

8.6 3.06" dia. head recess .09" deep. Same as 1449 except packaged in sets of 6.

APPROXIMATE HEAD VOLUME=12.5cc

Comp. Ht. 1.540
Pin Dia..9273 Offset 3444*
Std.

2-5/64
1-3/16

364702 14006722

this information came from this web sight
http://webpages.charter.net/beckracing/slvpg24.htm

if there is a better place to look them up on please let me know
and if anyone knows any good places to read up and learn what ll this informtion means i would love to learn i would like to know more then just how to tighten up bolts and replace parts i wana know why things are the way they are  

68scott385
Posted: 01/04/13 07:52 PM

The 3.8L v6 has the same bore as the 5.0L/305v8. The 3.8L v6 is a 305 with 2 cylinders cut out/off just as the 4.3L v6 is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut out/off.  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/05/13 10:55 AM

oh ok thanks for the info   a quiick question is this true with the 90s i have a 94 chevy 1500 wt with a 4.3l v6  this is actualy what i am going to put this 305 in is this motor worth keeping it has a fuel injected carb on it and is a vortec engine could it be built into anything impresive ?  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/05/13 04:55 PM

You Know Kenny, this is a problem as there probably are some parts available but you are looking at a v-8 and right away you have 2 more Cylinders a plethora of Cheep performance parts(common),I will Say No  

68scott385
Posted: 01/05/13 07:37 PM

I must concur with John, unless you have two small turbos, or one large turbo, or a blower, and an intercooler with mad plumbing skills tucked away in a dark corner of your garage.

IDK what Chevy had in mind with the "wt" moniker on those trucks but every one I've ever seen with that moniker had a v6 in it, so I just assumed it meant "wimpy truck", but WTF do I know.  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/05/13 11:50 PM

thnks for the info that was what i figured i think ill justy toss it on craigs list see if someone wants it  heck its only got 142000 miles on it i figure thats pretty good for  94 truck its only 19 years old     on another note i was finaly able to get the cam shaft out of the 305 today how do i tell what it is i see verry few numbers on it not like the block and intake do they just have short numbers ?  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/06/13 12:09 AM

so heres what im thinking as far as new parts let me know what you think

edelbrock performer rpm intake
comp cam extreme energy camshaft 12-238-2

what springs would you recomend i havent made up my mind as far as the pistons im leaning tward using the stock ones i took out of it the reason for this is if i buy new pistons then i should have it boared and get bigger pistons and i dont have the money for a boar job i figure it will cost a little bit  

68scott385
Posted: 01/06/13 12:46 AM

Measure or have the bores measured. That will tell you whether or not you need to bore it and buy pistons. If you don't have a dial bore indicator or some other accurate way to measure the bores, you'll have to take it to a TRUSTED machine shop. Having a trustworthy machinist is a must. You have to be able to trust the guy/gal just nearly as much as you'd trust a spouse because when it comes to money spent at the machine shop, if they don't assemble it, it ain't warrantied, even then the warranty is very limited.

I have seen motors with 135K+ miles measure within spec, get a dingle-ball hone, new rings & bearings, and run fine for another 30k, until the driver screwed it up.

That intake is a good choice.

Use the valve springs recommended by the cam supplier. Most cam suppliers will not warranty a cam if their valve springs are not used with it. This is VERY important.

Nice avatar, I may be envious. Smile  

hotrodkennyb
Posted: 01/06/13 08:50 AM

thanks for tyhe info 68scott385 yea i dont have any way to measure the bore can i get a dial caliper to measure it or do they use somthing diffrent to measure it on another note where is a good place to go and find the specs on the stock cam that came in this engine i got it out now and in the process of cleaning it up
oh and one more question do the tappits come out any specal way or can i just tap them out with a hammer  Confused            

i will trade you my avatar for the engine in yours lol  Grin  

123 Last
TO TOP