Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

camaro weight question

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 10/15/12 04:10 PM

Wanting to add a roll cage to my car this winter. Maybe just a 6 piont with a harness. Whow much will a cage weigh. I dont want to add weight and slow down so i am trying to think of stuff to gut. Im taking out inner fenders. Dont want to touch carpet and dash and door panels cause i like the look for now. Maybe get rid of 16 gallon cell and get a 2 or 3 gallon so less fuel has to in it. I want fiberglass doors but then also need lexan windows and not sure if i will afford all that. I was told to remove crash bars from doors but i have to cut a big hole on outside of door then weld it back up. Any ideas  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/16/12 05:30 AM

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body/277754-weight-reduction-thread.html

heres a thread that might interst you?  a different generation, but alot of good suggestions.  it might be in that thread,...but ive seen the crash bars cut out from the inside.   they say youve got to be very careful not to over-heat the cut or youll burn the paint off, on the other side.  ive also seen them swiss-cheeses/drill many holes with a hole saw on the doors.   a few other good mods for lightening,...glass hood and fenders, light weight racing seats, remove bumpers, manual steering,  pizza cutter tires and rims up front, aluminum heads, aluminum driveshaft, etc.   im sure you can increase the list.

i doubt a cage will add more than 100 pounds.  

68scott385
Posted: 10/16/12 05:54 AM

are you more concerned with safety or weight  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

jpatt87
Posted: 10/16/12 06:47 AM

what do you meen saftey or weight. I want it to be safe as well as lighter. The cage is said to weigh 75 pounds, not sure if i want to remove bumper supports since they would help in a impact. I was told to remove headliner and cut the second peice of steel from roof and that about 35 pounds, Going to have it put on scales this weekend to compare to next yr when im done. I priced glass doors and lexan and it was 1000 bucks, heck 500 more and i can get my afr heads i wanted and that would def help with the weight of the roll cage with more power plus save on weight from those cast heads  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 10/16/12 07:36 AM

please read about Mike Romeo (spelled wrong) in the yellow bullet site.he was T-boned in the driver door and Died from the Injuries he received.He was a Very well known and liked racer/street racer,the door bars were removed,PLEASE even if you go with Fiberglass doors you need side protection and that means more than 1 stupid diaganol bar from the Hoop to the floor.A good 8-10 point is the least I would consider.  along with a couple side bars like a round track car.it's not a street car right then bumper brackets can be ditched along with Hulling out hood and trunk braces I don't remember what year was which but some 2nd gen's had aluminum bumpers.Heck I would strip the crap out of it but do not remove door bar.  

jpatt87
Posted: 10/16/12 08:54 AM

it wont be on the street anymore, i will try to find that story. I figured removing the bar would even be safer then plain glass doors. I guess i will look for other ways to save weight. What about that peice of steel under headliner  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/16/12 09:21 AM

i would guess that piece of sheetmetal to weigh 5-8 pounds  JMO.    

Skylark, you bring up a good point about safety around the driver.  sorry to here about his death.

Jpatt, do you have subframe connecters?   do you have a glass hood?   what front rim/tire are you running?  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/16/12 01:07 PM

Jpatt87

Don't install a 3 gallon fuel tank. 5 to 7 gallon a minimum. You don't want to run out fuel. Even on the return road. Things get hectic when your going round after round, and you will forget to top off the fuel. Your talking a weight difference of maybe 14lbs. total.It's unsprung weight so it a loss anyway.
  If your removing weight from your car. Use a bathroom scale. Weight yourself then weight your self with the part. Unless your part is small enough to just put on the scale....It's that simple..
  Joe's right 100lbs for a 6 point cage. If joe lives close to you have him weld the cage in for you. Can you add a Funny Car part to that cage. The Skylark hit it on the head. You can install a roll cage, but if it's not supported correctly it's like not having one. You need diaganol support. Install 2 driveshaft loops.1-In behind the front U-Joint the rear In front of the U-Joint. I can tell you this make sure your car is level...
  I had a driveshaft break right beside me. I had tire shake when I left and the vibration there, anyway I didn't shut it down. Oh No it was on a good Pass. The LOOP and U-JOINT GIRDLE kept it together. Thats why I'm still here.
  My point Jpatt don't skimp on safety. As I said if you live close to Red Neck Joe have him weld the cage in. You want nice strong welds. Be safe not sorry...

Bob  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/16/12 02:08 PM

thanx for the vote of confidence Bob.   i would surely tig it up for ya Jpatt.    no problem. Cool

the reason i asked about the subframe conectors is,....you can cut a hole in the floor and weld your cage right to the conectors.    your frame is super easy to make your own conectors,....maybe $30.oo tops in material, or less?  

jpatt87
Posted: 10/17/12 09:23 AM

im gona do fram connectors this winter, i run weld drag lights 15/8  and 15/3.5
i have 1 drive shaft loop and another on the bench that i never bolted on. I figure take out inner fenders, said to be 18lbs each, smaller fuel cell so like a 5-7 gallon and save 10 pounds of fuel anc cell weight. Stock seats said to weigh 30lbs each and add plastic race seats, dont know what they weigh. That would be close to 100 pounds maybe, could sombody post pics of the bumper supports that can be taken out. Oh i have a glass 6inch hood already. And i was told to cut th  

jpatt87

What do you meen sprung weight anyways  

jpatt87

how much does a alum driveshaft weigh  

jpatt87

im gona do fram connectors this winter, i run weld drag lights 15/8  and 15/3.5
i have 1 drive shaft loop and another on the bench that i never bolted on. I figure take out inner fenders, said to be 18lbs each, smaller fuel cell so like a 5-7 gallon and save 10 pounds of fuel anc cell weight. Stock seats said to weigh 30lbs each and add plastic race seats, dont know what they weigh. That would be close to 100 pounds maybe, could sombody post pics of the bumper supports that can be taken out. Oh i have a glass 6inch hood already.  

jpatt87
Posted: 10/17/12 09:28 AM

i  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 10/17/12 12:22 PM

Not sure yours is like what I am familiar with but there is a shock inside the frame bracket.remove all of this stuff and make a plate that can be bolted on to the mount then a short piece of tubing and another plate to bolt on the bumper you will see it in your head after removing the shock.you can get close to 300 pounds out but you got to decide what you want to look at,door panels carpet console padding lots of that stuff really adds up.  

12 Last
TO TOP