Item Posts    Sort Order

No dash lights

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/15/12 09:17 PM

The fuse i had installed was marked on the cap was a sfe-4A.I assumed this was a 4 amp fuse but it blew

I am looking for info on correct amp fuse that goes in this spot

STOP STOP   STOP   installing a LARGER RATED FUSE... is going to MELT your wiring harness.. and perhaps set your whole car on fire... it has happened.. why do you think there are fuses...

the SFE4A stands for 4Amp.. that is the PROPER FUSE.. you have a SHORT... someplace somehow.. between the back of the fuse box... and one of the many bulb connections on the cluster.. the header control.. and several other illuminated things like the car stereo lights thats causing you an issue...

do you have a car stereo??  or radio??? is it factory or aftermarket??? i have found that some creative installers thought the grey wire was a ground when they changed the radio... caused HAVOC..

some of the bulbs are probably in wired sockets...  are the bulbs all installed.. so the center terminal is NOT touching the tubular piece in the socket...

so.. take your cluster back out.. inspect each of the individual wires with grey color to the back of the dash .. the back of the cluster.. the heater control.. the radio...

in looking at the wiring diagram i see 5 instrument cluster lights

one shift indicator lamp... that could be in the steering column if its a column shift.. or in the console if its a console shift car..

the back of the gauges seems to look like this...

CH26321 Lrg

do you still have the ground strap installed between the headlight switch and the back of the dash board??? so the housing of the headlight switch is grounded properly.??

do you see the 2 bulb sockets with the grey and the black wires to the console harness on automatic console cars???

11925 Lrg

SAY.... are you installing a GAUGE CLUSTER instead of a LIGHTED cluster... something other than what your car came stock with.. or a different/NEW wiring harness  as there are sometimes variations in cluster between gauge type and lamp type..  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/15/12 09:43 PM

SAY.... are you installing a GAUGE CLUSTER instead of a LIGHTED cluster... something other than what your car came stock with.. or a different/NEW wiring harness  as there are sometimes variations in cluster between gauge type and lamp type..  

CH28266 Lrg

this all-inclusive dash conversion kit for 1970-72 Chevelle and El Camino models. Get everything you need to change your sweep-style dash to a Super Sport dash in one easy-to-order kit.

INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS: Dash housing assembly Glove box door Ash tray Lower steering column cover Instrument cluster lens Plastic gauge housing Metal gauge backing Printed circuit board Speedometer Tachometer Amp gauge Temperature and fuel gauges Clock Forward lamp harness ('70-71) Engine harness ('72) Dash harness  

chevelleman63
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/16/12 01:53 PM

I will start looking for A bad wire or corroded  connection,assuming that I had lights not to long ago,I thought I would start at the fuse box,
Just not comfortable with removing box for inspection and cleaning.How do you separate at firewall ,seems to be a screw 5/16 in there hard to get to ,crowded with 11" booster in the way.any advice or opionion would be appreciated.Thanks.....Let there be light Blush  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/16/12 02:06 PM

to get the fuse box side of the bulk head connector away to turn it around.. remove the 2 screws at the corners.. it will allow you to pull it away and turn to look behind it..

because you have mentioned that you have had the dash board out a few times.. i wonder if you have a wire pinched or shorted to ground...

follow the various grey wire.. i highlighted one of the sections..

72Chevellewiringdiagram  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/16/12 02:48 PM

Icon Quotechevelleman63:
I will start looking for A bad wire or corroded  connection,assuming that I had lights not to long ago,I thought I would start at the fuse box,
Just not comfortable with removing box for inspection and cleaning.How do you separate at firewall ,seems to be a screw 5/16 in there hard to get to ,crowded with 11" booster in the way.any advice or opionion would be appreciated.Thanks.....Let there be light Blush

You just need to collect up all your 1/4" drive extensions and get after it, they are a pain in the butt (the bulkhead connector bolt). Helps if one of your extensions has a "wobble" end. Sometimes I just use a long flat screwdriver to turn 1/4" drive sockets in situations like that. But you won't have to mess with that to look at the back of the fusebox. You can see the other end of that screw when you do, and by all means its a good area to clean up. If you're like me and Wayne said so too, its probably something you just messed with. Its easy for the printed circuit to be damaged, it could already be. Just double check. I know its kinda painful to even get into a position to mess with any of this but you have got a heap of good advice. Let us know whats up.

Oh and don't forget about the dash light dimmer on the headlight switch, after you get them working!  
idrivejunk

chevelleman63
Posted: 12/16/12 08:50 PM

I really appreciate all the advice from you and Wayne and I sure don't want to be a pain in the butt I just don't have the experience,I have the determination,to get it done right,with your help of course.Well I'll be sure and let you guy's know the out come,Thanks IDJ and Wayne.Time to get after it Wink                                                                                                                                          Jerry  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/17/12 12:03 AM

72 Chevelle Cluster Diagram  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/21/12 09:39 PM

i spent some time and added some color to the indicator bulb type cluster diagram
i have NOT COMPARED IT TO THE gauges type cluster diagram. so.. please don't swap them as in other similar models.. there are differences in how they are wired..  enjoy

1972Chevelle Cluster Wirecolors  

chevelleman63
Posted: 01/03/13 09:31 PM

Back from Christmas break.Happy New year to the entire CHP forum.Thank you Wayne for your input and your expertise.Now back to the dash,have pulled the dash housing and gauges for replacement,housing was cracked,now i have time to inspect and check
for problem with no dash lights,before i reinstall the dash housing,ihave installed new headlight switch,with new ground strap.before i install need to know if any one familar with the metal strap?where do you make up the end to (has u shape bend)want to get it right,have three black wires coming from dash harness not sure but believe all go to ground could use info,on there location as well.appreciate any advise.                                                             Jerry  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/04/13 08:41 AM

72 Chevelle Cluster Ground Connections

sure looks like the ground strap holes mount to the back of the main cluster panel to connect panel A and B..   and the looped end fits on the steering column mounting framework..

take a look at this i added the ground connections locations..

72 Chevelle Cluster Colorized  

chevelleman63
Posted: 01/04/13 09:51 AM

Thanks Wayne ,looks like the fix is in have kicked this can long enough.I will be installing dash housing and wiring everything back in.
Will let you know how it turns out when I am done.Thanks again for all your help.
                                                                                                                                                               Jerry  

chevelleman63
Posted: 02/14/13 09:45 PM

The "no dash light" problem is now over,working on this since december off and on, the problem was a pinched wire in the center console wiring harness creating a short circuit interrupting power to dash instrument panel lights,blowing the 4amp fuse.
The wire was repaired and fuse replaced i now have dash and console lights.Thanks everyone for your help,i hope this information can help someone else that might have a similar problem.
                                                        Chevelleman63  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/14/13 11:19 PM

Sometime if you dissconnect the neg. side of the battery. With a test light use the battery ground and probe with the neg side rather than the postive side of the battery voltage.

Looking at all the accumalated years of rust it could just be a rusted spot on the buss fuse or the socket and/or both. I would clean one at a time and see if that helps.
  Aren't old cars fun to find electrical problems on...LOL...

Bob  

TO TOP