Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Decision time for paint

ldickersonc
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 12/27/12 06:02 PM

Going to finally have my 68 Camaro professionally done, and I am torn. I am kind of partial to Ermine White with Black racing stripes, but the original color is British Racing Green with an SS stripe.  Would like to hear some pros and cons, and any other ideas. Thanks everyone.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 12/27/12 08:28 PM

If you are going to keep it do what you like. If you are going to sell it in the future paint the original colors. Might get you a few more dollars being the original colors.  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/28/12 04:39 AM

zman, you may be right. Some buyers prefer the original color no matter what it is. Its a very important and personal decision and you are wise to give it much thought because you gotta live with it and pay for it. As I remember, the green was pretty awful. I suggest having the shop mix up and spray out a sample panel with the green because the modern formula probably looks different (same general color but with a much better metallic effect from the modern ingredients) and you need to see the color in various lighting to make an informed decision. People do love green nowadays, especially bright metallic ones. White with black stripes always looks great to me though! The white would hide imperfections better and sort of blend into the crowd, while that green is gonna be an eye-grabber.  
idrivejunk

ldickersonc
Posted: 12/28/12 08:34 AM

Your comment about that green is spot on.  I love green, but that particular version seems to lack a bit of pop.  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/28/12 11:28 AM

If you were to lighten it just a couple shades It would look more Modern.That color seemed to change to an Olive Drab after a couple years.I remember early FireBirds looked Awful in no time.  

ldickersonc
Posted: 12/28/12 02:25 PM

have any pictures of said paint color available?  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/28/12 05:31 PM

Sometimes a way to meet in between strictly original and modern looks is to go with another color of the same family. Good idea, John. I looked at pics of both colors and think that you could replace the code ZZ British Green with WA-119B Mystic Teal. The car will still be dark green but the wicked pearl effect in the newer Camaro color (its a fourth-gen color) would generate more grins and comments. Has a bluish tint and flips flops in the sun due to mica pigment, whereas the old green is yellower and has plain aluminum flakes. I painted my ride this color once and loved it. You could still call it dark green!

Have you thought of doing the white and black but with one pearl over all of it? Options are endless.

pics found on web - green enough for ya?  Grin

Zz

2178980295 87D5c04a5a O  
idrivejunk

ldickersonc
Posted: 12/28/12 07:38 PM

All good ideas, unfortunately its a very expensive decision i only get to make once.  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/29/12 05:43 AM

Thanks Matt for putting up those Options right on the Money,Seeing the68 Reminded me of Jimmy Morgan's 396 camaro,B-A and ugly at the same time.Lol,the 4th gen color dosn't do it for me but a Marina Blue (Factory) always did.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/29/12 10:21 AM

I'm all for dropping the thoughts of green altogether. I like blue in all different shades, personally.

In color choice and striping, some points to ponder on ANY car:

Price. Any good paint job you get now is clearcoated. Plain base/clear colors can be anything, and can produce dazzling effects while being easily repairable. Color coat price is mostly dependent on the pigments used to achieve that color. Reds are highest, black, white, silver are cheapest. Normally within a given paint brand there are several price levels for different colors of the same basecoat. Not different brand qualities, but color price differences. Colors that look expensive aren't necessarily. Some plain looking colors cost a lot. You can check the price code on a color you're considering by calling the supplier. For example, I formulated a wicked purple pearl for my GP in Sikkens and it turned out to be price level two, fairly cheap.

Be aware that less expensive paints don't always cover as well, and can cost more to use due to the extra coats required for opacity, not to mention the inconvenience of THINKing you bought enough paint but running out.

Stripes. If you want stripes that won't chip and peel at the edges, they ought to be cleared over and have the edges sanded flat then buffed. This usually means two applications of clear and corresponding labor, and the stripe color is laid before any clear is applied.

This one is important to me- What color is the interior? I always want a black or black/white interior. Red, green, or blue really limits you. Tan leaves you more options but not great ones, for exterior colors that don't clash.

Time period- Certain colors scream certain years. Car show guys like trendy colors no matter what the car's year, but on the street certain color combos are classics on certain cars. I dig some of the retro colors and how they look "at home" on the cars they originally came on. You know the ones, Black and white for a '70 Chevelle SS, white and blue for a '66 Shelby Fastback, purple or bright green on certain Mopars. So you can go for the iconic look, or throw opinions to the wind ...

Whats your favorite color? What suits the attitude of your car? Bold and racy, or refined and confident? All I require from a color is that it makes me want to not take my eyes off my car as I walk towards it. As with the ladies, visual appeal is very individual and varies widely among us guys. Pick the color thats the hottest. In my personal opinion, the right color needs no accent like stripes and two-tones. But I don't like tattoos on chicks. Simple and striking is what I like. Black with silver stripes looks great to me on that gen Camaros. Their curves just don't show off pearl paints like some other cars do, so bold colors seem to work better than interesting paint effects.

Another quick note: Theres generally two kinds of paint job. Two coats of clear and minimal buffing, or three coats and sand/buff it flat as glass. A giant factor in the final apperance, and something to discuss with your painter and buffer.  
idrivejunk

ldickersonc
Posted: 12/29/12 03:18 PM

Think i have decided on the British racing green, maybe lightened up a shade, with white SS stripes.  But wow what a great post.  My interior is black houndstooth.  I fully expect to shell out around 10k for this.  By the way, if anyone from NJ has ever heard of Ultimate Collision, thats where i'm taking it.  

TO TOP