Item Posts    Sort Order

2 piece fenders and hood

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/16/12 10:34 AM

Hi, Gotta 1950 Plymouth with 2 piece fenders and hood, with the seam covered by a stainless trim strip Want to ditch the stainless trim. Plymouth did a bad job on matching them flush. Got about a half difference between the upper and lower pieces. What would best way be to get em flush and ready for paint. ( metalflake) Stan in n.e. Pa  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/16/12 12:11 PM

Sounds just like what folks run into on shaving drip rails on old trucks, where the door isn't even close to lining up with the roof afterwards. If you can separate the halves at the original welds then reposition them so they line up in the middle better, that would be the first step.

What I might do- is make a cut down one side of the seam, right up against the flange on the high side. Then carefully remove the flange of only that panel. Use the low side's flange as the new middle by flattening it out against the high panel. Once they meet in the middle and you level out the seam, trim off the excess from the low panel's flange and leave yourself a gap to butt-weld in the center. Or leave it underlapped and tack up or plug weld the seam. If you butt it and dress the welds from both sides, that gives you maximum opportunity to do your hammer work and avoid the bondo.

Make sense? I could draw a picture if not.  
idrivejunk

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/16/12 12:22 PM

Makes sense, I'd like to see the picture though, Thanks, Stan  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/16/12 01:37 PM

Laugh

Flangeremoval  
idrivejunk

swaluda
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/16/12 04:42 PM

Ohh, Your Good, Thanks Junk, Gonna have some more questions as i go, I hope your Hol Smirk idays are good ones, Thanks, Stan  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/17/12 03:21 PM

Junk,  You Just Bad to da BONE. I think I will Have to Shoot My Sawzall, It's a Bad Sawzall,It Makes me Dream Of chopping My Car.........Some More...  He's bad.    On a Happy Note, I got My Carb Back From the Shop, Pics soon.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/17/12 04:49 PM

Hey thanks you two, sometimes I make contact with the ball and sometimes I strike out.  Grin

Its fun to play with the sheetmetal but you gotta noodle it all out and cut once, right? I should also mention that the modification I suggested may or may not affect the stiffness of the part. It almost certainly will, but the question is whether its in an area that matters. If a guy wanted to put plug-welds in a recessed flange along the overlap and then seam weld the edge, that would give you a little two-layer strip. I like to butt-weld them because theres no hidden corrosion potential.

Glad to help, holler whenever.  Smile John, don't shoot the sawzall, I'll take it!  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/18/12 05:13 AM

It's Possesed, when you see the pics you will Understand.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/18/12 06:04 PM

They make it too easy. You really gotta watch out for them plasma cutters also!  Cool psssssst ... and its gone!  
idrivejunk

TO TOP