Item Posts    Sort Order

66 Frame

qrtermile
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/03/12 06:51 PM

Who can afford a 10k frame? Where can I find info to beef up or modify my stock frame? There needs to be more info regarding frame mods. They might not have been designed for the power motors can make today but I would bet they dont need a whole lot of work to get them up to speed. HELP ME MY CHASSIS BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/03/12 07:54 PM

use convertible frames.. or chop and fit el camino frames. they are already boxed from the factory.. and have extra body mounts.. inside the ones just in front of the front footwell.. but you would need to add brackets also to your body shell..

think of the body mounts under the radiator core support..  then behind the front suspension is an outer just past the kick out ... but on the high powered cars.. there are 2 there..  stopping the frame rails from twisting... as they are now locked to the front of the floor pan/firewall..

there are about 40 car and truck magazines on this site.. so there are probably several on boxing frames floating around the archives.. i know there are some over in low rider magazine..

one thing.. you did not mention which frame you have.. but be sure to get a frame diagram...

and measure the distance between the upper control arm mounts. as some frames have been subjected to massive amounts of use and the lever action of the suspension creates frame sag..

where the crossmember bends inward slightly allowing the frame rails to come closer together..

this is an easy fix sometimes..  even with the car fully assembled...

if you have an 66 A body...  measure between the upper control arm mounting brackets where the shims fit..  31  1/16"    between the inside of the front frame rails just above the sway bar.. is 28 1/8"    the outside of the frame horns at the front end is 35 1/2

this may help in your searching for a different frame if you have to go that way..

Chevelle Frame Interchange

edit... here is a 66 frame chart...

66-frame dimentions.jpg  

qrtermile
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/03/12 08:17 PM

It is a 66 A body ss frame. Thanks for the feedback!! Grin  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/03/12 09:47 PM

stand by for more... forum members

http://abcperformance.net/frame%20boxing%20kit.html