Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

o2 sensors 1 wire to a 4 wire

Teemane72
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/26/12 12:32 AM

Do anyone have an idea how wire a one wire o2 sensor in to a 4 wire , i was told from a tech that my o2 is not getting hot enough in my headers for the computre to read what to do. So if I could get some i really appreciate it,i know i got alot going on that's wrong. Thks.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 11/26/12 09:31 AM

first... identify the oxygen sensor is a Narrow band not a wide band sensor...  

the same wire hooks to the ECM...

you will have 2 ground wires...  and one heater wire.. that needs power.. usually from the IGN 1 circuit.. same as the ignition system

the trick is to have the sensors hooked to a really good engine ground...  

in OEM installations.. the ground side of the SENSOR circuit is grounded to a specific terminal on the ECM connector...    so you might want to be sure that where you ground them to probably the back of the cylinder head is a good ground connection..

the 4 wire heater circuit in OEM installations is grounded to the engine...

in a 1 wire sensor.. the shell is grounded... so half its circuit is up through the exhaust system to the engine and then to the ECM ground..

in a 2 wire sensor...  they have an independent ground that is usually connected to the engine block...

in a 3 wire sensor..    the ground is shared by a single wire by both the heater element and the sensor..  this caused all kinds of trouble when the ground went bad... i have seen 1.5 volts on the oxygen sensor circuit with a scan tool...  as the heater was trying to ground through the sensor circuit..  other than that.. 3 wire sensors work just fine...

i hope this explains how it works...

please be careful to NOT run voltage through the sensor circuit.. only the heater circuit..

please be sure that your grounds are properly made..  

TO TOP