Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

need tranny help

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/13/12 11:36 AM

after going about 60 miles this morning, my tranny started slipping.   i noticed the whole back of my car was covered in tranny fluid,...bumper cover, taillights, tag, spoiler, etc.   took 4 qts to get home.   even with the car up in the air with a helper holding the brake, i can not find a leak. Confused    i put new front and rear seals in about 1-2 yrs ago.   the driveshaft is dry, as is the front pump area.   its dripping only a little on the tranny mount, but could have been pushed back there from air/moving.      

my question is:.....is there a way i can pressure test the tranny to find the leak at home?   do i need to take it to a shop?  

thanx for any input or advice. Cool  

68scott385
Posted: 10/13/12 12:41 PM

tell me where it started getting wet, only the rear of the car?

this'll sound stupid but it might help, might not

the trans has pressurized fluid any time the motor is running, the pressure will vary depending on what gear it's in

my suggestion is to put in on stands and run it through the gears while watching for a pressurized leak

what are you working with (what trans are you running)? 700r4/4L60(E) or th350?  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/13/12 01:12 PM

its an old school th350.   i have up in the air, all 4 wheels.   we put it in drive as i sat under it.   i see no leak.   there is a very slow drip on the bottom of the tranny mount bolt.    

a bud told me NAPA sells some kind of special white paint for finding tranny leaks.  idk?    never heard of that before.    its wet on both sides from the pan all the way to the back of the car on both sides.   fluid just dripping off the rear bumpercover.    but i cant see it leaking anywhere,...even in gear running.

i wish i could find the problem and just repair it.   i usually dont drive very far.   today i was pulling 3,500rpm going down the highway at maybe 60mph.

this sux.   i was just about at the 3rd gen gathering when i lost gears.   runs and shifts strong when i add fluid.   i dont want to burn it up.  

68scott385
Posted: 10/13/12 02:07 PM

are all the pan bolts tight?

thinking maybe the pan gasket gave way.

any chance the front seal went bad? well you said the front pump area was dry, hmmm  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/13/12 02:27 PM

pan bolts are tightened to proper torque.   a bud says if i use compressed air down the dipstick, it will just blow out the vent tube.   hes probably correct.?    im kinda lost cause its all over the place on both sides.  

guess im gonna have to rev it too 3,500rpm in gear and get under it.?     was kinda hoping there was a simple way to pressure test it.  

gotta be something simple?   it shifts very good and hard with fluid in it.   just cant find the leak. Tongue

help me out guys.  ideas?  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/13/12 06:26 PM

Joe
An old school trick that may get you home. You can try putting brake fluid in the trans. What this does it swells the clutch material. Just drive it slow.It didn't overheat the engine did it? Give this a try good luck.. Mad

Bob  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/13/12 06:56 PM

Sounds kind of like the trans is overheating and puking out the vent tube on top as the fluid swells. That would mean the trans already puked but hasn't seized up yet.

As far as finding the leak goes, Joe have you heard of leak trace powder? If you can take a jug of baby powder under the car and poof it onto the wet areas you can then run it until the leak appears, dark against the powdered area.  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 10/13/12 10:44 PM

Joe:
If you use the brake fluid, it will disapate. It's only a temporary,if it helps. Joe get the sented powder...LOL...

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/13/12 10:48 PM

Matt:

Great idea.  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/13/12 11:34 PM

Joe:
  Did you check the vacuum modulator for ATF in the vacuum line. If you start the engine does it smoke from your exhaust. If it does thats a problem.

Joe unless you have some way of regulating the air pressure to no more then 20PSI I would not put shop air down the dipstick. 160 to 180PSI you can blow the front, rear seal, and the trans dipstick out. You then can have a real mess...

Like Matt said use powder,spray foot powder.

I found my notes: It's for the TH400 but it's the same difference.
DexronII will appear brilliant redish purple under black light (flourescent light that emits ultraviolet rays). The only other places front seal, rear seal,trans cooler lines, speedometer gear seal, shift leakage..Good Luck Joe...

Bob  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/14/12 04:40 AM

thanx for the tips guys.

Matt, i like your idea with the powder. Wink    it makes alot of sense.   i hope the tranny isnt about to puke.   it has no burnt smell, the fluid is always pink/red.   i bought it new/re-built, and dyno tested about 8 years ago.  it has a good size cooler up front.   im sure if i keep driving it like this,...KABOOM!!! Grin

Bob,  i think it could be the speedo hook-up?  i noticed its rubbing hard on the trans tunnel.   and thats more of a better description of where all the fluid is.  from about the middle of the trans tunnel, on both sides, all the way back.  guess ill find out with Matts idea later?      
   Bob, the only time ive ever heard of using brake fluid in a tranny is if it wont go anywhere.  like a last resort to get home move.  but it will ruin a transmission.  JMO.    im hoping this one is still good.   car never ran hot at all.   i had to stop off down in south st. pete for tranny fluid and got some funny looks.  i think they liked my hood?  Grin  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/14/12 05:15 AM

Boy they love to leak at the speedo connection. That hood ain't for every 'hood is it?  Grin LOL

A few companies make actual aerosol leak trace powder but like Bob said even foot powder would work. Bondo dust if you got a pile. You could use a fan or blowdryer to help get it up onto everything. Rinse off with degreaser to remove the ATF and powder mess.

PS There are such things as angled adapters for the speedo cable for use when the cable points at a header or something. Thats odd that a combo that was available from the factory rubs the cable on the floor. Or maybe TH350s didn't come in those?  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/14/12 05:47 AM

yea, this was never like this from the factory.  it had a 700r4 originally that died.   i threw this tranny in cause its got the 9 inch tailshaft, no driveshaft mods needed.    im not even using my speedo, and i believe i cut the cable?   i wonder if its pizzing out of there at highway speed?  is there a plug or something i can just put in where the speedo goes?  

i got to admit, i really wish this car had a manual trans.   its kinda lame when your spinning the motor at 3,500rpm for an hour and people are passing you like your standing still. Tongue     just about got the wife talked into all the reasons i need a stick, lol. Grin

stopped once on the way home to add the last quart and scored a full-face, black, AGV  helmet, missing the lens, for $3.oo at a yard sale. Laugh  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/14/12 06:34 AM

Helmet score!  Laugh

I was at Rob's flea market yesterday and they had a 1997 hot wheels digger (earth mover) marked ten bucks. I was like WTF and he whipped out a book and found the value at twenty five bucks. Tripped me out. Didn't buy it though.

It shouldn't wiz out the cable housing unless some inner seal blew out. Maybe you could rig up a "speedo delete" plug using a freeze plug and an O-ring? I wonder if any bottle caps would fit over the speedo unit threads. I'm hillbillyin' Grin  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 10/14/12 08:18 AM

Joe:
  I thought you were dead in the water, I'm glad that wasn't the case. and you weren't able to drive it. Atleast this way you can find the leak. That's good and bad news for you. An expensive ride to get home.  

I don't know who came up with this. On the History Channel the other morning, they had a show about guessing the states. By their shapes. They had the Hillbilly against the Red neck.

Morgan Lucas against Brandon Bernstien I thought they were going to race. Well they didn't. It was to see who could asnwer a question about a state before the other guy. They made it so it ended in a tie. Grin   Cool  

12 Last
TO TOP