Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

building chevy eng, am i on the right track

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/03/12 07:36 PM

I am new to this site building a chevy 350 4bolt main, block is 30 over cast crank, arp bolt kit threw out, seal pro flat top pistons 10 to 1 compression with 64 cc heads est
4340 eagle h beam rods, lunati  voodoo cam 489 int lift 504 ext  lift, lunati 1.5 roller rockers,edelbrock victor manifold 750 holley double pumper, edelbrock acute timing gears, pro comp 210cc aluminium heads. Am I on the right track?  will these parts work together?  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/04/12 12:40 AM

welcome aboard irishmanspride:

Yeah the combination itself is a nice little package.

My question is: What is your intended use for your build?

Bob  

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/04/12 04:47 AM

just a weekend toy Bob, looking for around 400hp on pump gas. Still haven't found a car to put it in yet but I have a couple weeks still, block is at machine shop.  

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/04/12 06:21 PM

Looking for a olds cutlass to gut out put eng in, another question I have is, I have a t5 out if a v8 camaro that was rebuilt stronger the stock (so I was told ) or a stock turbo 350 that needs rebuilt to mount up to this eng. which would be the better choice?  

Dave632
Posted: 10/04/12 08:22 PM

Personally I would go for the 350 trans with a mild converter say 3500 stall. It will be much more consistent and there will be no missed shifts. ETs will also most likely be quicker with the automatic. After you scatter a few standard transmissions you will be cussing them. I remember busting a few. It was usually when I was a little off time with my shifts and that racing clutch would eat the trans, driveshaft and rear gears. I switched to autos and never went back. The only clutch trans I would ever use is a Lenco or clutchless type and they are big bucks, about 15K for a new setup with a racing dual disk slipper clutch, pressure plate and racing bell housing. I ran a full racing JW glide with a high dollar converter which was only about 6K all together. The Lencos were about a tenth and a half quicker thought.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/04/12 09:11 PM

thanks Dave 350 is the way to go, being a street car is the 3500 stall a bit high was thinking around 2200 with 373 gears. just enoughto to jump on it when needed but not over board.  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/04/12 11:16 PM

irishmanspride:

Dave don't scare the man. He's New on the Forum! Now tell him how Ponies You had  running around waiting to get out...LOL...

+1 Dave. A nice TH350 with a 3500RPM stall can be a nice combination.  I am speaking for myself, and not for Dave. A 3500 Stall convertor will actually stall higher or lower then 3500RPM depending on the horse power of the engine.

Bob  

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/05/12 06:22 PM

is there a good stall  converter you would recommend that wont break the bank?  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/06/12 02:37 AM

irshmanspride

I think that would be a prefernce...ATI,TCI,Art Car. This is what I mean Irishman. The guys that are on this forum are very smart. I don't know of any one racer that hasn't had a T/C balloon. Usually because  they failed...It's a matter of preference. I hope that Pro-Mod guys Chime in, so stay with us...

Just to add Torque Convertors are like any other link in the chain. If it's the weak link that's what will fail.  

The T/C needs to be as close as possible near your PEAK TORQUE and PEAK HORSE  which will be determined by so many factors...Those can be changed by moving the timing up or down, Tire bite, trans gears ratio's etc...

T/C can be $500 to $4500. and all in between. Grin  Cool Your doing the correct thing ask questions....

P.S. Tuffnuff how are you doing?

Bob  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 10/06/12 06:48 AM

I would look into some better heads, and a good dual plane intake manifold.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

Dave632
Posted: 10/06/12 10:51 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
irishmanspride:

Dave don't scare the man. He's New on the Forum! Now tell him how Ponies You had  running around waiting to get out...LOL...

+1 Dave. A nice TH350 with a 3500RPM stall can be a nice combination.  I am speaking for myself, and not for Dave. A 3500 Stall convertor will actually stall higher or lower then 3500RPM depending on the horse power of the engine.

Bob

Sorry Bob,
I should have explained that I was running a beast that had nothing to do with running on the street. That 6K trans/converter combo was handling well over 1000 hp.
Ran over 150mph in the 1/8th mile.
There is no reason a 4-500 dollar converter would not be reliable for the street and an occasional drag strip trip. A slightly milder say 3000 stall converter might be OK but you have to remember with a performance cam your idle will be higher and you will be fighting the car at a stop with too tight a converter. Make sure you use a tranny cooler with a performance converter as heat kills transmissions. Bob is correct about the stall being higher or lower depending on the engine it is behind.
The same converter that would stall at 3500 in a 350 would probably be at 5000 behind one of my 632s.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/06/12 03:47 PM

lot of info, thanks
I am trying to stay on budget so far its good.
2 more questions
1) a friend told me do 1.5 and 1.6 rockers, I have lynati 1.5 roller rockers now should I get the 1.6?
2) still looking for a car to put it in, choices so far
79 monte carlo
84 Pontiac grand price
76was vega
any opinion on these cars?  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/06/12 03:56 PM

i agree with Pman about the dual plane if its a street car.   the RPM air gap would be my choice.      ive heard some horror stories about cheap valves in the pro comp heads breaking.  i would at least take them to the machine shop and have some better valves installed and have them go through the heads.       the double pumper would most likely work better with a manual tranny, IMO.   if you go auto, a vaccuum secondary will probably work better.    the 3,500 stall is a good recommendation for your intended build and the tranny cooler.   a shift improver kit will get her shifting hard/fast.    3.73 or better gears would be nice for a hot street car.          oh, and welcome to CHP! Cool  

68scott385
Posted: 10/06/12 05:20 PM

I'm gonna say the 79 Monte Carlo but I might be biased just a tiny bit. Smile

In that packeage I'd go with a 700r4 (again biased, for good reasons), 3.73s in a 10-bolt (it'll hold until you get big stickies, track, and boost combined), and run the tallest widest tire you can put on it without rubbing or using air shocks. Did I mention I'd make turn corners, fast & flat. JMOs

On topic, I've heard/read many say that 1.6 rockers on the intake & 1.5s on the exhaust work well. The big no-no I see, also pointed out by Pman, is the ProComp heads. IF IF IF it was my money, I'd get a set of AFR 190s or 195s. I personally DO NOT buy anything that says ProComp or ProAnything...stick with well-known, long-history names and the quality will be there. JMHOs  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

irishmanspride
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/06/12 06:36 PM

Good info guys, I got the heads in trade, I had stock cast iron oem heads that I got with the block, seen aluminium heads did question it. I will look around for some better heads that wont break the bank.  good news found a tci street fighter trans working out price.  

123 Last
TO TOP