Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Pepsi's Paint Q - Off Topic Chit Chat

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/27/12 04:37 AM

In the interest of keeping the threads here on-topic, I decided to start a new one to answer this question, asked on another:

Junkman
I should have asked you this awhile ago. I have a 1986 Mote Carlo SS with 55,000 miles I'm the original owner no smoking always garage kept never seen snow.

My question do you know if GM played with water based paint in 86.the paint spider webbed or shrunk,only on the trunk and top of one fender,its always had one of those california breathable covers on it..Its the weirdest thing its not on the roof or hood. I bought my wife a 1981 Camaro Z28 that did a similar thing so for them to match the paint the stripped the paint, and I asked the guy at the body shop whythe paint would have cracked like that, she only drove it to work and then it went in the garage,he said something about GM using water based paint back in 1982 when they repainted the whole car,the guys that did it you would never know it was repainted.I have done my share of painting on my race cars,

Quick story. I had a 1979 Z28 and the 1981 Z28. My wife had we were going on a 2 week vacetion, so I had just painted my 79 anyway My garage at home was just big enough to get the race cars in. So I took the 2 Z's to the shop where we had race cars classic cars etc..We come back from vacation to find out the shop had been broken into and they stole 6 cars our 2 Z's.Gone just like that. The cops recovered one of the guys cars down in the pine barrons in south jersey...The last year Z28 too
Thanks
Bob  

Read more: http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com/70/9086903/general-discussion/yes-im-serious/index.html#ixzz1tEmjJZYl

Bob-

This is the RPO code/paint code sticker inside the trunklid of my friend's old black '86 SS Monte Carlo. As you can see in the bottom left corner of the sticker, it says "DIS LACQUER". So I'd say your car has dispersion lacquer on it. Thats where they put an electrical charge on the body and fog a mist of paint into the whole booth, then the paint is drawn to the metal by the charge (like "e-coat" primer. This one is black and also has a clearcoat.

IMG 0257

Lacquer cracks, always eventually. Refinish industry professionals will tell you that something like 85% of new cars have had paint repairs before ever reaching a dealer. So your car may have been spot-repaired by GM! Many were. It can be near impossible to tell, but sometimes its obvious. Like under wierd parking lot lights, where metamerism comes into play and the same color looks different under different light.

When GM started the "peeler" phase was a couple years later, remember when the new trucks came out in '88? I had a painter buddy who made over a hundred grand one year razor blading the paint off Suburbans and repainting them under warranty. Those are your early factory waterborne paint jobs, and they missed the mark. Color didn't stick. Refinish paint stuck fine to the primer underneath though.

I think the dispersion lacquer is solvent based so it probably won't peel, but being lacquer, its gonna crack with age. If you ever wanted to stop the cracking, you'd have to go down to metal or at least the bottom layer of primer to get past the uncatalyzed coatings. Just keep taking good care of it, and repaint what you can't stand to look at.

Matt

Story department- I had a paint customer once in Dallas who had three Buick GN Regals, and two T-types. His personal Buick stash, a nice guy. Somebody broke in thru a window and DROVE a T-type through a door then loaded them all up and stole them. What kind of mean ol crook thinks that was cute? Pretty dumb, but my guy never got his cars back. Somebody done watched the old original "gone in 60 seconds", huh? Man I think thats my favorite DVD.

Hi, Skyeking  Smile  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/27/12 04:54 AM

Morning Matt, unless you went to work already.Gone in ^0 sec. was on last nite But I didn't watch it, I did stay up and watch most of Apocolypse Now though.Good Movie about a terrible Time.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/27/12 05:09 AM

Mornin John, scarfin a biscuit as we speak- er- type. That 60 sec movie (made by the "junkman" for real, with his own cash, cars, and friends!) has great extras on the DVD, like "the Slicer", a car that flips any car it runs into, etc. Cool stuff you ought ta scope out.

Speaking of movies, and I haven't seen Apocalypse Now, I hardly watch any. Did check out Boondock Saints II - All Saints Day last weekend, that was a good one if you like shoot em ups.

I delare this thread safe for off topic banter, by the way. Theres no catch-all off-topic thread here so if you guys want to bs about things non-high performance Chevy go for it. I just did. I sold my Chevy months ago but I do miss the gang here.  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/27/12 05:18 AM

Heres a Chevy with nice paint for y'all. I still take pics of the nice stuff!  Cool Shot this photo yesterday.

IMG 6867

I have been doing metal work on Fords for about the last 8 months  Frown  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69
Posted: 04/27/12 06:17 AM

you do some awesome work Matt.  thats a beautiful paint job.

i dont know much about paint.  some of you guys know im really into 3rd gen camaros.  from what i understand the california camaros got water based paint and had some issues at first.   one easy way to spot an original california painted iroc is the hood louvers were painted the same as the body color.  all others got the black louvers.    thats my 2 cents.  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/27/12 06:21 AM

Matt:

I never gave that a thought.As being spot repaired:This happened years after we bought it..I'll bet at least 10 years after so the Lacquer paint makes sense.

Thanks Bud I really apreciate it....

Bob

I use to get company cars all GM unless a boss wanted to try Ford OOOO. I would get a new car approx every 14 to 16 months I racked up the mileage so fast. I had a 1986 Pontiac S/W that was Maroon Metallic,I went to the dealer where they dropped it and I'm looking at the Tail gate and right almost dead center was appox. a 6" wide gap where the sprayers never hit it...you could see the gray primer under neath...

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/27/12 06:23 AM

Apocalypse Now was on the AMC channel last night and it was uncut here in CT. Grin  Cool  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/27/12 06:44 AM

Glad you started an off topic thread IDJ.,. I made it sticky and hope it becomes popular.

Pepsi

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

76Skylark
Posted: 04/27/12 01:21 PM

Hey Bob tuff Junk   Et;all yes It was Uncut Here And Saw Some Scenes I don't remember Like the French Rubber Plantation Owners. That Scene says a lot that Our Government didn't want Us to Know.And If you Younger People don't think men acted like that,I'll tell you the truth.......... It was Worse. that is why Most Vietnam Vets Won't talk about it. I have NO Death wish but I ain't right. Hell My brother Kenny spent the last 40 years Drinking Himself to Death.  Bob Just drive the Monte Over to Matts and Let him Paint It For You Then It will Be Right, Problem solved.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/27/12 01:54 PM

John, I know it drove a lot of them nuts, man. And worse. Men that went through that experience are usually pretty down-to-earth types and I like them. Before every war was another that has been forgotten, for as long as theres been people. Who can say whether its better left in the past or not, and who can say if evil men of a given time are more so than those of another? We all get our mind around it however we can. I missed all of it and am glad. But I know I owe my freedom to the blood of many soldiers. Nuf said? I've got basic cable.

Well Joe I never laid a finger on that red Camaro. It just came in to get some tire clearance issues fixed and I don't know what else. We may have painted it or not, in the past. It got some elbow grease before we parked it outside though, and that shows. The pic just turned out nice and it was a red Chevy. How the hell you and the boys been, anyway? Y'all rip any fresh driveway stripes lately?

Bob, yep lacquer sucks for a painter, tries to melt when you dry sand it. Factory defects? I climbed on top of a brand new un-sold Yukon about ten years ago and found a clump of primer  (like the robot gun spit it up) about a half inch tall, right out in the middle of the roof! It was under the paint and looked like a bubble but it was solid. We at the dealer fixed and painted that after the PDI, before the sale and under warranty. As you mentioned, GM isn't known for stellar paint jobs, although they have made some great colors over the years. I'll hafta look up that movie.

Peter thats a funny Coke joke, never seen it. I'm a hardcore Pepsi drinkin man, just ask my dentist. We'll see if this catches on, I know theres a couple members "down" and a dab of chitchat helps everyone get along. Best to have one place to bring all that so the Q&A threads can remain as focused and helpful as possible, eh?

Whats everybody working on?????

Catch you fly cats on the flipside! Heres another red Chevy ...

Aw maaaaan- '58 sedan delivery, SWEET.

IMG 6822  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 04/27/12 03:30 PM

John
   thats not a bad idea but Matt and I live at other  ends of the of the Country....But when he said that about touch up it made sense.I remeber the build sheet in the truck and at the bottom it has that Dis. Lacquer. and I guess the WA is the color Maroon... Cool

Matt

the more we talk about that subject to more comes to mind, My kid brother in Florida bought a 2002 ZO6 Vette. It was silver that crappy silver, I'm looking down the center of the roof and you could see where the robot was light on the color,then I looked over the hood that was ok,but from where the nose to the license plate braket was there it was again about 2" or 3" the robot missed. The clear went on ok? He said he saw it and mentioned it to the dealer, they told him it would have to be stripped and repainted so he said NO..But thats my brother the hell with it... Grin  Cool If it was me they would be repainting the car..

Matt that Maroon is a killer,thats pretty on the 58. Grin  Cool
Thanks again
Bob  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 04/27/12 03:37 PM

im still plugging along on our iroc.   i finaly got the mickey thompson drag radials mounted a few days ago.   man, they made a HUGE difference in traction.  i love em.   i want to add a few safety pieces to the car like a driveshaft safety loop and some better rear studs.  i got a great deal on a new fiberglass cowl hood.  i just gotta go pick it up.   my son Jo-jo got 13 stitches in his neck the other day.  he got cut by a grinder somehow.  hes a trooper though, he went right back to work.  
  i hope everything is going great for you Matt, and everybody else.

whats everybody else working on?
042402 182500
042402 182401  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/27/12 03:43 PM

He's young Joe like we all where he'll bounce back in a week when the stichtes come out he'll forget all about it..
Bob  

76Skylark
Posted: 04/27/12 05:16 PM

Hey Bob Taking A LonG DrIvE By Yourself Was part of the Stress Relieving I was thnking of that you may Deserve. It's about as far as from here to there in CT.commonly Known as "ROADTRIP"  hey Joe I learned the Hard way Most of the time Too! still remember them the best.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/27/12 07:41 PM

OK John, you got me goin talkin bout stress relief. I'm off to feed my fun machine it's weekly $50 and go lay rubber for awhile on the old two lanes. Very relaxing on a warm evening, windows down radio up, middle finger to the world. Can't afford to go very far anymore but I gotta have my V8 time. My V6 car been doing strange voodoo the last couple weeks, airbag lights and check engine and what-not. I feel pretty secure cruising the OLD Pontiac with just a 1/2" x 9/16" combo wrench in my pocket though!  
idrivejunk

123 Last
TO TOP