Item Posts    Sort Order

turn signals

j.p.1965
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/02/12 09:03 AM

i have a 69 nova my turn signals used to work on outside of car the turn indicator on dash did not work.now the turn signals do not work outside of car and when i press brake the turn signal arrow lights up on dash what could problem be? fuse,turn switch,turn signal cam in steering wheel do not now where to start any advice?  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/02/12 11:03 AM

pull the hazard flasher button out..

pushed in is on...

pulled out is off...

when pushed in...   it bypasses the turn signals... and depressing the brake pedal will feed the brake light power to all 4 corners and the dash indicators..  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/28/13 06:29 AM

You have a bad bulb or a bad ground in that circuit. Very common problem, since the lights are wired in paralell and the flasher needs a certain ammount of resistance to operate properly the current can feed back causing what you describe.  

geargrabber
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/28/13 05:34 PM

I had a flasher go bad in a chevy PU, one time, and it was a issue similar to what you describe...man I looked and looked for the problem, and even burried a test light probe 1/4" into my fingertip before figuring it out.  

waynep712222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 03/28/13 08:13 PM

i agree with both....  and i should have gone farther..

if there is a bad ground... since electrons flow from Negative to positive.. there will NOT be enough current flowing to heat up the bimetalic spring in the flasher to get it to cycle off for a second or two...  causing the system to flash...

when there is a bad ground to the front parking /turn signal lights.. when you turn on the headlights.. because there is no ground for those bulbs.. but the negative current can flow from ground.. thru the dash turn indicators thru the turn signal filaments then to the parking light filaments.

but again.. if the hazard flasher button is pushed in...

it connects all 4 turn signal lights and the dash indicators together..   but when you push on the brake pedal.. the brake light switch power comes into the turn signal switch and bypasses the  hazard flasher... so all the lights come on when the brake pedal is depressed..

try it.. it really does work like that..

turn signal switches have 3 input power circuits on models with built in hazard switches..

turn signal power to the turn signal flasher to the turn signal switch harness..

stop light power to the stop light switch to the stop light wire into the turn signal switch.

hazard flasher power to the hazard flasher to the hazard light wiring into the turn signal switch.

on an amazing number of cars.. the stop light fuse is shared with the brake light switch and  hazard flasher.  

TO TOP